Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles
August 14th, 2011

Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles

(CNN) – Fresh off a win at the Iowa straw poll, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann stood by her principles Sunday, saying in an interview with CNN’s “State of the Union” that she won’t compromise her values on “big issues.”

Facing criticism that tea party members resisted compromise to reach an agreement on the debt ceiling, the Republican presidential candidate was asked to identify legislation that represented a compromise between herself and lawmakers of an opposing or alternate view. “I stand on a core set of principles but you want to continue to move in a positive direction,” Bachmann told Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. “I’ve done that throughout my legislative career.”

“On big issues, I don’t compromise my core sets of principles.”

And in her experience, the public doesn’t favor a compromise between spending cuts and raising revenue through tax increases as a method of battling the deficit.

“I haven’t gone one place in Iowa or South Carolina or New Hampshire where anyone said, ‘Please raise my taxes,’” she argued. “Never happened.”

“People are not saying yes, raise the debt ceiling, we want you to borrow more money - it doesn’t happen…people are very upset and nervous about where the economy’s at right now.”

And for Bachmann, a win at the straw poll in Ames, a contest that measures candidate strength and organization in Iowa, also communicated a bigger message.

“People sent a message to President Obama. They said, ‘We are done with your policies, we want something very different.’”

Bachmann believes that the 2012 election will be an “economic selection,” in which she will fare well because “people want to know who can turn the country around.”

“People want job creation,” she stated. “They want the economy to turn around and [they want to] work. I have that background.”

And if she reaches the White House, Bachmann said she would revisit the policy that prevented gay service members from openly serving in the military known as “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

“The ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy has worked very well,” she said. “I would be in consultation with our commanders but yes, I probably will [reinstate the policy].”

Though she hasn’t yet decided whether to end the gas tax when it expires in September, Bachmann did say that on the matter of gay marriage she thought it imperative that judges refrain from “legislating from the bench.”

“I think it’s more important that people have a right to weigh in on the laws that they choose to live under,” she asserted. “That was the problem here in Iowa.”

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Iowa • Michele Bachmann • TV-State of the Union
  1. frpdp1008

To me something that is really scary is to see this woman or her other companion in Sarah Palin actually having to sit down and deal with a Russian hard case such as Vladimir Putin? A Russian leader that was at one time the head of the dreaded KGB??

He would chew these so called soccer moms up and spit them out in six different directions, if they didn't start the actual Cold War all over again! I survived the cold fear of the first one and do not want to do it again!!

Although perhaps with no ability to compromise, (which even though he is a very hard case Putin has shown that he can compromise) it would very possibly become a "Hot War" instead, and indeed ALL of our problems would be solved in a Nuclear Armageddon!!

How is that for fear people???

August 14, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  2. James

1st of all, you can't run a country with hundreds of millions of people each with their own opinion and just say they have to accept it your way. It doesn't work like that.

2nd, submitting to the will of your husband sounds a bit compromising to me.

August 14, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  3. gorddicnn

She could compromise if only she could spell it.

August 14, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  4. billy

If this nitwit or Palin appear anywhere on the Republican ballot Obama will be a shoe in for reelection -fact !

August 14, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. SDN

I, for one, constantly review my principles. Most remain unchanged (war is insanity, by definition). Some are modified, or changed. My principles must be the result of critical thinking – how I feel about gays, abortion, religion, foreign policy or the color of the Presidents skin is irrelevant. What I think about these things is what matters. How one 'feels' about an issue is visceral – how one 'thinks' about an issue is, hopefully, rational. I consider myself obligated, as an American, to see that my principles benefit to majority of my fellows. Michelle Bachmann is one that 'feels' strongly about many issues, and, if elected, will see that all Americans conform to her 'feelings'. That would be a disaster with respect to human rights, civil rights, the environment, and our economy.

August 14, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  6. No compromise

How can anyone espouse "no compromise" as a rule of life. Life is about making compromises in order to get anything done. My dad always said that you catch more flies with honey than cow manure but I guess the Tea Partiers never heard that one. It is understandable as to why the Tea Party likes Bachmann and Palin. The Tea Party is a one agenda extremist group; cut, cut and then cut some more. There is no balance or compromise in their agenda at all. We had school board members like that who had one agenda which was a new stadium and once they got the stadium completed, they left office and left the taxpayers with a large deficit but they accomplished what they wanted. They did not care about being re-elected or being popular, they had what they wanted and as a result, teachers, support people and programs were cut to pay for the largely uneccessary and unfunded stadium.

August 14, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  7. Marie MD

@Anonymous – "All of you have typical CNN groupie comments...You listen to the liberal media and believe it. And the hateful comments are not a example of good character"
    You need to turn off faux news and watch a REAL hard core interview of your pack of clowns. I posted about the flake while watching Gregory sweep the floor with her. Everything I wrote is what she was saying or not satying or pretending she never said it. Sorry buddy, but she IS what she is and that is why, today on Meet the Press, she ticked off women who don't like to live (and maybe others who don't have a choice) under a man's shoe and gays even though . . . . . . . I'll let you think that one over. You might not get it but 99% of the bloggers here on CNN will.

August 14, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  8. IOWA DEMS FOR OBAMA

Looks like the knuckle draggers were out in full force yesterday. Don't worry the Iowa democrats will have a vote in 2012
    and we will save the country from imminent destruction if the like of Michelle Bachmann is ever allowed anywhere near the
    Whitehouse.

August 14, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  9. urshadow

That puts Dr. Paul at the #2 position. Take notice Republicans – the socially conservative/Christian right has the Libertarians sneaking up right behind them! Limited Government WILL win this election!

August 14, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  10. Joe

I don't compromise. It doesn't matter what the facts are, what the truth is, or how much evidence to the contrary you can produce. I'm right. You're wrong. I don't compromise. Any questions?

August 14, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  11. NYCMovieFan

I don't compromise either. So I will never elect a President who has lived on federal subsidies, while screaming about too much federal spending. To have ANY credibility, Bachmans, you will have to GIVE BACK ALL THE FEDERAL SUBSIDIES THAT YOU HAVE BEEN LIVING ON, including farm subsidied and Medicare payments. Once you have returned those sums, in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, then you will have to come up with a plan for all Americans, not just the Christians who have been taking handouts for years like yourself. We're not holding our breath that you will suddenly find honesty, integrity and common sense!!!

August 14, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  12. James

I changed my mind. I'm voting for Bachmann. I've said all along that we can't fix this country until it gets bad enough that the people get off their lazy butts and make a stand. Well, Michelle is that president who can make it "bad enough". Bachmann for president! She'll be perpetrator of (inadvertant) change!

August 14, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  13. Everyman

You don't work for a principle, you work for the people of the United States when you become President. But if you insist to, then I don't vote for your principles.

August 14, 2011 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  14. SuRy

Seems odd Michele Bachmann is so opposed to gay marriage. Isn't she in one?

August 14, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  15. huxley

She says "I dont compromise my values" out of one side of her mouth, and "People have a right to weigh in on the laws they live under" from the other. Stop trying to pass laws to enforce your own ultra Christian morality on others.

August 14, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  16. SDN

I'd like to echo some of the other comments about Bachmann 'submitting' to her husbands will. Frankly, and with no intended malice, he doesn't strike me as possessing what I would consider a 'powerful personality'. Yet she refuses to acknowledge, let alone seriously consider, the demonstrated will of the American people. What does happen when Putin 'hardlines' her? Does she give him the 'evil eye', launch into a screaming tirade, threaten him? What? She could, and likely would, endanger this nation both internally and internationally.

August 14, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  17. Jim Lindsey

stayintrue;
    As a college educated(and then some) Afro-American who has spent about thirty years doing genealogical research and a lifelong lover of history, I have actually done a good deal of research into American slavery and subsequent race relations. It is clear to me that you are not nearly as knowledgeable about slavery as you assume. First, I'm having a little trouble understanding how "families" stayed together when marraige among slaves was usually illegal. Slave's sleeping arrangements and breeding were left to the whim of the master. FYI: It was common practice for older women who were no longer productive in the fields to be responsible for caring for the children. Then, you might tell us how all those kind masters claimed and cared for their own little mixed breed offspring. I had four ancestors sold off (1845- 1854) because they were the master's and he felt that they didn't look enough like him. Bet, in your world, slaves seldom were sold. I'd go on but, why bother, you probably think that you know better already. And, this was about Ms Bachmann, who loves to twist history to fit her purposes..

August 14, 2011 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  18. blftgk

No compromise, so if the dictator is elected president do we have to say, Heil Bachmann!

August 14, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  19. EddyL

MORE LIES.... if she's a submissive wife then she compromises.

August 14, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  20. George

What a wonderful thing the people of Iowa have done for America ! Hint: If you travel across the country, psssst, don't tell anyone you are from Iowa.

August 14, 2011 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  21. George

The submission to husband question was unfair, and she handled it quite well. I think it is clear that she will be doing the bidding of her strange husband. It's going to be Bachmann/Palin for the Republican ticket.

August 14, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  22. JoeO

You don't compromise, huh? Didn't we just have a big fiasco where either the Dems and the Republicans wanted to compromise during the debt deal? And look at what kind of dumb waste of time we've endured. That cutthroat attitude may GET you somewhere in politics, but once you've made it... that just means you're an idiot. You HAVE to compromise for the opposing party to not veto your sht. I like Bachmann in the sense of respect because she DOES sound firm and strong. But that isn't necessarily what we need elected... Gaddafi didn't want to compromise. Neither does the Syrian regime. She's saying as if this trait is a great fool-proof quality to be elected.

August 14, 2011 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  23. Ron

She doesn't compromise. Great! More of the same: holding the country hostage to her narrow perspective. She says no one tells her to raise taxes. That's because she's preaching to the choir. She doesn't read the overwhelming polls that indicate that Americans want a combination of more revenue (more taxes on those who can afford it) and spending cuts. The only people she talks to are people like herself.

August 14, 2011 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  24. Balance or fairness, not likely

It was incredible to me that when the Republicans were asked if they would go for a plan that includes 90% cuts and 10% in taxes, that they all said no. Obviously they are out of touch with taxpayers who understand wealth disparity. When Reagan was president, I remember the talk that the money from the rich getting tax cuts would trickle down. We lost 8 million jobs as the money trickled from US companies the US to US subsidiaries in other countries, offshore bank accounts, tax shelters, etc. According to the Senate Committee on Taxes, the share of federal revenue paid by individuals has stayed around 40 % with some minor changes, the share of federal revenue from companies has gone from 28% to about 8%, and we should lower the rates come more so that the money will trickle down? If they are sitting on $ 2-3 trillion dollars now, why would that change things other than give them more to invest in other countries. They are all about making a buck and not helping the USA, lets try more deregulation and see how much we can add to the debt.

August 14, 2011 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  25. Tillie in Texas

So basically she admits she wants to be Queen of America and run the country based on HER beliefs and principals. I guess she also wants to our Constitution with her version of a Bible with new scripture, including: "Do as I say, not as I do". "Taxpayer money – good for me/bad for the poor".

I wonder what Michele will name her version of the Religous Police Enforcement Deparment? Michele's Devils? Michele's Mercenaries?

Between her and Rick Secessionist Perry, I'm buying stock in popcorn. This is gonna be fun!

August 14, 2011 11:57 am at 11:57 am |