Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles
August 14th, 2011

Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles

(CNN) – Fresh off a win at the Iowa straw poll, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann stood by her principles Sunday, saying in an interview with CNN’s “State of the Union” that she won’t compromise her values on “big issues.”

Facing criticism that tea party members resisted compromise to reach an agreement on the debt ceiling, the Republican presidential candidate was asked to identify legislation that represented a compromise between herself and lawmakers of an opposing or alternate view. “I stand on a core set of principles but you want to continue to move in a positive direction,” Bachmann told Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. “I’ve done that throughout my legislative career.”

“On big issues, I don’t compromise my core sets of principles.”

And in her experience, the public doesn’t favor a compromise between spending cuts and raising revenue through tax increases as a method of battling the deficit.

“I haven’t gone one place in Iowa or South Carolina or New Hampshire where anyone said, ‘Please raise my taxes,’” she argued. “Never happened.”

“People are not saying yes, raise the debt ceiling, we want you to borrow more money - it doesn’t happen…people are very upset and nervous about where the economy’s at right now.”

And for Bachmann, a win at the straw poll in Ames, a contest that measures candidate strength and organization in Iowa, also communicated a bigger message.

“People sent a message to President Obama. They said, ‘We are done with your policies, we want something very different.’”

Bachmann believes that the 2012 election will be an “economic selection,” in which she will fare well because “people want to know who can turn the country around.”

“People want job creation,” she stated. “They want the economy to turn around and [they want to] work. I have that background.”

And if she reaches the White House, Bachmann said she would revisit the policy that prevented gay service members from openly serving in the military known as “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

“The ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy has worked very well,” she said. “I would be in consultation with our commanders but yes, I probably will [reinstate the policy].”

Though she hasn’t yet decided whether to end the gas tax when it expires in September, Bachmann did say that on the matter of gay marriage she thought it imperative that judges refrain from “legislating from the bench.”

“I think it’s more important that people have a right to weigh in on the laws that they choose to live under,” she asserted. “That was the problem here in Iowa.”

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Iowa • Michele Bachmann • TV-State of the Union
  1. Tricia

Why is the state of Iowas given any gravity with regards to the presidential election?? I doubt anyone within the state has graduated high school....

August 14, 2011 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  2. Anne of VA

Don't worry, people, this is all a charade. No way she will ever be the Republican presidential nominee. But...if she is, of course it's a certain victory for Obama.

August 14, 2011 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  3. Rob Johnson

Even if the GOP retakes the Senate in 2012, the Democrats will still have at least 41 Senators, enough to filibuster.

As Obama has learned the hard way, our government is set up so that compromise isn't just a good idea, it's necessary.

Michelle Bachmann does not have the intellect to understand that, of course, but the good news is that she will never be elected President. She is capable of winning the GOP nomination though, and if I were a sane Republican, that would really worry me. Obama is beatable in 2012, but not by Bachmann.

August 14, 2011 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  4. Elizabeth

Oh great, all we need now is an uncompromising leader to help resolve global issues.

August 14, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  5. independent voter

She talks more like a dictator. I thought we lived in a democracy?

August 14, 2011 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  6. Irrma in North Carolina

If the people elect her or Perry this country will go up in smoke.

August 14, 2011 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  7. tom

This is GRRREAT News. It is EXACTLY what the deluded Tea Party People want to hear: WE DO NOT COMPROMISE AND YOU WILL OBEY GOD OR GO TO HELL! This idiot will surely win the Republican nomination and that will be the end of them.

August 14, 2011 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  8. T'sah from Virginia

TRENDING: Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles
    Then DON'T tread your PRINCIPLES on ME
    You coming from the bottom of the hills
    Does NOT mean I have to roll to thee

This is ALWAYS the problem that comes from the far-RIGHT
    They think I MUST do and bend towards what they believe
    But in reality they better put a CHECK on their INSIGHT
    And pull something BETTER than that from out of their sleeves!!

Bachmann, as well as Perry will go to a certain point and then FAIL!!!

August 14, 2011 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  9. tp1776

way to work a fake issue Michele...“I haven’t gone one place in Iowa or South Carolina or New Hampshire where anyone said, ‘Please raise my taxes,’”...Pres Obama wants the wealthiest people, not the poorest not the middle class, to contribute more taxes to the country...our country prospered before the Bush tax cuts, it will prosper after those tax cuts are eliminated, and it will reduce our deficit, which should make you happy. when I was employed and making a six-figure salary, I never complained about taxes. I could afford to pay, others couldn't.

August 14, 2011 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  10. RG

On no compromise on principles? Then how about cutting government spending by you stop taking Medicaid funds to "pray the gay away" at your "clinic". I'd say it's a major conflict of interests. Also, not surprised that folks sucking up farm subsidies would vote for a candidate sucking up farm subsidies. This one's a wacko hypocrite, typical tea bagger, I've got mine and screw everyone else.

August 14, 2011 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  11. Tricia

If Iowa wants Bachman, they need to vote for her......particularly if the women in Iowa want to backslide to the idologies of the 1800s when women were barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen without the rights and freedoms we enjoy today....NO THANKS BACHMAN

August 14, 2011 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  12. Texrat the Crypticum Keeper

She's confused principle with stubborn, stupid dogma. Not presidential material. Not even close.

August 14, 2011 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  13. Boomer

The audacity of nope.

August 14, 2011 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  14. beno

“I haven’t gone one place in Iowa or South Carolina or New Hampshire where anyone said, ‘Please raise my taxes,’” Of course she hasn't. No one wants their taxes raised. But what Ms. Crowley should have followed up with was "now you know that any revenue increases would come from only the wealthiest Americans and Corporations, not from the middle calss and poor." Essentially Bachmann would then have to avert a real answer, which is what she always does or face the fact that she is simply defending expenditures on behalf of the wealthy.

August 14, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  15. Tricia

Bachman.....Palin.....are there any women in the Republican Party that have a bit of intelligence??? What a bunch of morons!!!

August 14, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  16. Jeff in Illinois

I will not vote for anyone who signs pledges other than their oath of office to serve the NATION. Elected officials signing other pledges of any kind are guilty of treason.

August 14, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  17. amigay

This woman is scary. As the saying goes "be afraid.....be VERY afraid."

August 14, 2011 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  18. EddyL

Why does this idiot think compromise is bad? A leader who does not compromise is a dictator.

August 14, 2011 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  19. Canadian Jim

Anyone who won't compromise is not running for President, he or she is running for Dictator. That is not government of the people, by the people and for the people. What is scarey id that her vow to not compromise is seen as a strength in the GOP (The American Taliban). Muslim extremists won't compromise on Sharia law. What makes the tea partiers so different?

August 14, 2011 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  20. dude

Stunning how fast this woman can generate comments, but maybe not considering how STUPID and CLOSE MINDED she is. Gosh, she makes voting for others SO easy!!!!!

August 14, 2011 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  21. Tricia

I am mortified that any state has elected her to any political office.

August 14, 2011 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  22. amigay

What Bachmann has not yet realized is that as an elected official, she then represents ALL the people, not just her "base." Have to give the woman credit though, she knows all the keywords to utter and all the buttons to push to make people think she's qualified. Frankly, I'd say she's not qualified to be dogcatcher but I'd be insulting dog catchers.

August 14, 2011 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  23. Eric

Obama is nothing but a push over and a phony. He is a liar and a fake. I dont care whos president just put someone in there that doesnt sell out. Remember him during his campaign?? What the hell happened to that guy? also.. isnt it strange how we wanted osama killed for a decade so bad then one night suddenly we got him the news comes and goes as quickly as it came with no proof of anything? right when obama needed to put his numbers up? during the time when trump was playing him? aired during trumps show? i guess the thing thats in now is to call people that look at somethin for what it is and think about it logically is to call them conspiracy theorists and crazy. the american people are being lied to constantly but its their own faults for believing it. americans are seriously dumb, oblivious f*cks and that is why our country is goign to hell.

August 14, 2011 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  24. NoTags

Listening to Bachmann idiot's drivel, gives me a migraine.

August 14, 2011 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  25. Kate in NJ

On the issue of judges legislating from the bench, don[t ask- don't tell, and choosing the rights one wants to live under, Bachman mentioned that three judges were thrown out when they failed to follow the will of the people. So which is it – judges are sworn to uphold the constitution which may mean "ruling from the bench", or the will of the people, which may be in violation of the constituttion? She fails to reconcile these issues on many topics and seems to want her cake and eat it too. Some follow-up questions would have been in order here, so let's hear them at the next debate.

August 14, 2011 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |