Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles
August 14th, 2011

Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles

(CNN) – Fresh off a win at the Iowa straw poll, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann stood by her principles Sunday, saying in an interview with CNN’s “State of the Union” that she won’t compromise her values on “big issues.”

Facing criticism that tea party members resisted compromise to reach an agreement on the debt ceiling, the Republican presidential candidate was asked to identify legislation that represented a compromise between herself and lawmakers of an opposing or alternate view. “I stand on a core set of principles but you want to continue to move in a positive direction,” Bachmann told Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. “I’ve done that throughout my legislative career.”

“On big issues, I don’t compromise my core sets of principles.”

And in her experience, the public doesn’t favor a compromise between spending cuts and raising revenue through tax increases as a method of battling the deficit.

“I haven’t gone one place in Iowa or South Carolina or New Hampshire where anyone said, ‘Please raise my taxes,’” she argued. “Never happened.”

“People are not saying yes, raise the debt ceiling, we want you to borrow more money - it doesn’t happen…people are very upset and nervous about where the economy’s at right now.”

And for Bachmann, a win at the straw poll in Ames, a contest that measures candidate strength and organization in Iowa, also communicated a bigger message.

“People sent a message to President Obama. They said, ‘We are done with your policies, we want something very different.’”

Bachmann believes that the 2012 election will be an “economic selection,” in which she will fare well because “people want to know who can turn the country around.”

“People want job creation,” she stated. “They want the economy to turn around and [they want to] work. I have that background.”

And if she reaches the White House, Bachmann said she would revisit the policy that prevented gay service members from openly serving in the military known as “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

“The ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy has worked very well,” she said. “I would be in consultation with our commanders but yes, I probably will [reinstate the policy].”

Though she hasn’t yet decided whether to end the gas tax when it expires in September, Bachmann did say that on the matter of gay marriage she thought it imperative that judges refrain from “legislating from the bench.”

“I think it’s more important that people have a right to weigh in on the laws that they choose to live under,” she asserted. “That was the problem here in Iowa.”

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Iowa • Michele Bachmann • TV-State of the Union
  1. Litterboxrox

I say we go back to the original Constitution, which is what her (tea) party wants. That way she will not be able to vote...but I will.

August 14, 2011 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  2. John

That just prove Michele Bachmann doesn't Listen to the American People what so ever. Because there was a lot of American People that was calling or e-mail there Congress person or Senator and told them to Compromise and to rise taxes and do away with Tax subsides. But as the American People find out they didn't listen to the People who Pay them. The Tea Party and most Republican are the Only reason America got down graded right now ,because they wouldn't Compromise on the Bigger deal that had more revenue In It. Michele Bachmann didn't even what to rise the dept ceiling at all, just think how bad America would have been down graded than. This woman Is nuts and she not a Christian ,because she Is the Most Racist person I ever heard of. But she didn't have any trouble cheating them out of there money and she and her husband even cheated her own Government out of money with her and her husband Business. She Nothing but a big Hypocrite, And I feel sorry for the People that want to vote for her. You much be pretty low your self.

August 14, 2011 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  3. bachmann turn her over drive(l)

I'll bet if asked, she will tell you she has good foreign policy experience because she can see Minnesota from her house.

August 14, 2011 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  4. bobcat2u

Michele Bachmans words--" I will not compromise. " Translation : I don't care if the country is going down the tube. I am the power that be, and if it's not my way alone, it's no way. I am the dictator here and there is no power above me. Sounds pretty scary to me.

August 14, 2011 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  5. ian

as a democrat, i'm so pleased bachmann won! i so hope she gets the party nomination!
    the republicans are even dumber than i gave them credit for, and folks, thats a seriously amount of dumbness.
    welcome to 4 more years of obama. i could not be happier! (true!)

August 14, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  6. pablo

Thats what this nation needs. More politicians who will not compromise. What a ding-a-ling.

August 14, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  7. makak

Wow, these Republicans are actually making Bush look like the smartest of them all. All they want to do is take this country back in time – they don't think about the future.

August 14, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  8. Pack

People that don't compromise don't get a lot accomplished. Great leaders know how to compromise to get things done. The world is far too complex to use a simple menu of values to make all of your decisions. Intelligent leaders need to evaluate each situation and then use reason to determine the best course of action.

August 14, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  9. Sergio Vargas

Michele Bachmann: I don’t compromise between spending cuts and raising revenue through tax increases as a method of battling the deficit.
    She has as much chance of become president that a French Poodle!

August 14, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  10. Rick

It was the right wing extreme policies that Bush pursued from 2001 to 2008 and we all saw the result. Now why do we want to encourage these radicals again? Just because they re-branded themselves as the tea party?

August 14, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  11. Nuwan Sam

Wow, what a scary thought. I wonder how a imaginary President Buchmann would get anything accomplish in a divided congress. The only way she can accomplish anything is by having a complete tea party congress so they will keep writing blank checks to satisfy her core principles.

August 14, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  12. Jeff

I think she confuses principles with political philosophy, thus refusing to compromise on either. It has been said many times, "politics is the art of compromise." If your attitude is, "my way or no way," you'll be ignored and the train will leave without you.

August 14, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  13. dnick47

Bachmann must be God. Cause only He is perfect .aand cannot comprimise. These Republican are getting more and more scarier ... if they gain power it only a matter of time befroe we have "Political Correction Camps" so the unenlightened get enlightened .... and the kids are goose stepping down the street carrying Ronnie Regean banners and what else... "Sieg Heil!" will be the standard greating as well as "Are you born again?!"

August 14, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  14. tp1776

Michele, you think you're walking on water now, but IMHO, 4,823 votes is not a mandate. Let's wait until you get about 50 or 60 million votes and you're in the oval office and the democrats in congress push back and you can't just snap your fingers and get things done and..and...you've got to compromise????

August 14, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. @theteaparty

Socialism works great until you run out of other peoples money. Unfortunately everywhere it is tried the same thing eventually happens. Just ask Greece, Spain, Portugal and Great Britain. Go ahead, raise taxes, increase the debt ceiling, make the gov. larger. That will really help the economy. Knuckleheads.

August 14, 2011 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  16. w l jones

If the shoe were on the other foot will they want to be a slave to somebody else? I do not think so. . which go aganist the constitution which clearly state freedom liberty justice for all period

August 14, 2011 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  17. AKSean

"I don'tcompromise"=not leadership material. Next candidate please. It would be nice to see some applicants for this job that have the necessary skills and experience to make him/her at least a reasonable option. Ms. Bachmann clearly has neither

August 14, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  18. gw

I hope she wins the nomination! She is a true believer fanatic. I heard her say this morning on NBC that she must go along with public opinion in her state. If all politicians did this, we'd still have slavery in some states. How could she possibly become President?

August 14, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  19. this is madness

"I don't compromise"... in other words, "It's my way or the highway." Reminds me of the very kind of leaders that we've had differences with in the past. Typical of the party of NO. Don't do it folks.

August 14, 2011 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  20. midleclssfan

You just have to shake your head when it comes to the messages coming out of the Republicon Party. She doesn't compromise for example. This coming form the same person who party labeled our President a Socialist. Do they ever listen to themselves talk or do they think we are all stupid and unable to connect the dots?

August 14, 2011 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  21. Eric

Politics is the art of compromise. As far as I am concerned, Bachmann's unwillingness to compromise makes her fundamentally unfit for political office.

August 14, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  22. Marie MD

@Tony – Yes, Bachmanm is crazy, but would people please stop bashing Iowa.
    We can't stop bashing Iowa because 29% of those who were paid (this is the truth folks, people got paid to vote) think that this woman can come even remotely close to being the president of this great Nation. The AK quitter is a dangerous traitor and so is this woman. She sounds more sane but her actions and speeches before she decided that she could run for president tell a different story. Lunatic comes to mind!!
    I hope they use some of that money to buy much needed meds to bring them back to reality.

August 14, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  23. marty

Mrs Bachmann says that no one has asked her to raise taxes, "never happened' . I can't recall anyone saying, give the teachers a raise, give the police and firemen a raise, or, give the members of Congress a raise. Unfortunately, not compromising her principles also says that she, like many Republicans, are rigid and inflexible, putting self before countrymen.

August 14, 2011 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  24. Dreamer96

Yes, she voted against the debt bill an was say default is good, go default....

August 14, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  25. turningconservative

I admire someone who stands up for what they believe in. Good for her!

August 14, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |