Cain: I wake up saying I can win
August 14th, 2011

Cain: I wake up saying I can win

(CNN) – Radio talk show host Herman Cain isn’t daunted by his fifth place finish in the Iowa straw poll.

“Finishing in the middle, that is a great position to be in,” he said Sunday during an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty may be dropping out of the presidential race after placing third in Ames, but that has no bearing on the Cain campaign.

“He made a big investment and he doubled down and didn’t pull it off,” Cain told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley.

Speculating on why Pawlenty decided to drop out of the race for the 2012 GOP nomination, Cain said, “He probably ended up with some debt and so he didn’t finish higher…it will be more difficult for him to raise money, so I believe that’s probably it.”

But the former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza doesn’t see himself in a similar situation, though he finished two places behind Pawlenty with 8.6 percent of the straw poll vote.

“I run a campaign like a business,” Cain asserted.

“We don’t allow the spending to get out ahead of the revenue … and we’re still able to be very effective.”

“We’re not making huge gambles on spending before we get the money,” he continued.

“Because of the grassroots nature of my campaign and because of the way people are connecting with my message, [the campaign] continues to gradually build. It doesn’t have these ups and downs and these ebbs and flows - like some of these other campaigns - if you’re dependent on moving it with the media.

“No, we’re moving it with message,” he affirmed.

Cain said he views the straw poll as more of a “barometer” than an indicator of his chances to secure the GOP nomination for president. And he finds comfort in statewide poll results that place him third in Iowa.

“I don’t stay up at night or wake up saying that I can’t win,” he said. “I wake up saying I can.”

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Herman Cain • Iowa • TV-State of the Union
  1. Nestor

Not very long ago, no one knew who you were. Hang in there Mr. Cain. America needs someone with your qualifications.

August 14, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  2. vic , nashville ,tn

“Because of the grassroots nature of my campaign and because of the way people are connecting with my message,”

Herman Cain comment about illegal immigrants on the debate (last Thursday)

London riots “Who did it” some England media ask this question so follow the audio and video interviews of victims
    Many immigrant’s store were looted, my point is many immigrants are self employed so they don’t hurt the economy actually they are helping the economy
    One stage they were refugee or illegal immigrants once they got the status they become self employed and hiring people

August 14, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  3. Randy, San Francisco

If he ran his business like his campaign, he would have been bankrupt. Big ego or delusions of grandeur?

August 14, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  4. fred

Herman Cain 2012. He runs his campaign without debt, as anyone should if they are trying to run for President, especially now when getting the country out of debt is such a big deal.

August 14, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  5. FairTaxNow

I still believe you can winn this thing just let the people see you being you. When they get to know you they will love you.

August 14, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  6. B

Go back to pushing your Pizza....

August 14, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  7. edpeters101

I'm surprised he did that well. Especially for a minority who slams other minorities. He does provide a role in the GOP campaign however, more material for Comedy Central (like they really need it)..

August 14, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  8. Squigman

Everyone else wakes up and says " I can't " . That's why the entire nation and the rest of the world was living in caves and foraging for food among the lower forms of life, until the advent of republican power. Tired of the insults, both to intelligence, and all other senses. Sick of the republican wannabe's to power and influence, pandering to the less experienced among us. Wish there was a way to make people remember the years from 2000-to-2008, but apparently many among us have drank freely from the Kool-Aid, laced with stupidity powder ( or as it's known as ) FOX News.
    WAKE-UP, or be enslaved by those who profess to freeyou.

August 14, 2011 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  9. sara

Herman quotes the constitution well, but do not practice it when spreading fear about "other" Americans rights. He is an "opportunist" at best and the example of an "angry black man" with misplaced anger!

August 14, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  10. FM

When the money dries up, he will be forced to get out as well. Who has money to play with and contribute to a person who holds position five, so long he does not stop the winning dream!

August 14, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  11. Eric of Reseda

I would NEVER vote for this guy in a MILLION years. He is a corporate wank who sold lousy food. BUT, you have to love the sanity and logic in his statements above. Good luck trying to match those statements with the guy who, in person, comes off like a mini-whack job.

August 14, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  12. Terry Gloege

Another example of a wealthy man letting his ego override his good sense. He has but a snowball's chance in hell of winning the GOP nomination but is so out of touch with the real world that he thinks he can. Walter Mitty in sunglasses. By the way Herman, if you want to throw away millions of dollars I'd be happy to catch it.

August 14, 2011 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  13. Ron

I admire the tenacity, but realistically....saying it doesn't make it so!

August 14, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  14. adriano

Mr Cain this is a serious political campain, not a Hollywood premier . Please next time let us see your eyes during an interview.
    Thank you!

August 14, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  15. Sorensen

He is not angry or anything. He is just a pizza-man with ambitions and not a chance in hell to get anywhere.

August 14, 2011 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  16. GI Joe

Go back to sleep - you're still dreaming.

August 14, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |