Liberal group woos Warren for Senate bid
August 16th, 2011

Liberal group woos Warren for Senate bid

Washington (CNN) - The DC-based Progressive Change Campaign Committee has raised over $77,000 in the hope that Elizabeth Warren, the former financial adviser to President Barack Obama, will decide to challenge Republican Sen. Scott Brown of Massachusetts next year.

The liberal organization announced Monday they would immediately be able to make the funds raised available to Warren should she decide to pursue the Democratic senate nomination. Seven Democrats have already entered the Massachusetts senate race, but none has major name recognition, and the PCCC hopes that it can continue to rally volunteers and donors behind her.

In addition to the money raised for any potential Warren campaign, the PCCC also raised $25,797 to run ads in Massachusetts promoting their Draft Warren Campaign. So far, over 53,000 people have signed up, pledging their support – according to the PCCC.

Fundraising would be crucial to a Warren campaign. Brown's re-election campaign has approximately $10 million cash in hand to put towards his re-election efforts, and polls indicate he is popular in the state. He also appears to have support among blue-collar conservative Democrats, for whom Warren's Harvard background and her involvement in the creation of the federal consumer protection agency could prove contentious.

Warren has not officially announced her candidacy, but she has suggested that she is seriously considering the possibility. She is expected to make a final decision in the coming weeks.

Filed under: Elizabeth Warren • Massachusetts • Scott Brown • Senate
  1. Marie MD

YES!!! Warren is a smart, witty woman who knows what she is talking about. I am still a bit ticked off that she was put aside after putting together the committee to help out the little guy (it's a long name and I can't remember it all).
    We would send her money to take brown out of the picture. She deserves it!!!

August 16, 2011 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  2. Sorensen

She is about 6000 times smarter, faster, more intelligent and generally much more capable of anything compared with
    Mr. Brown.

August 16, 2011 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  3. GI Joe

I'll donate to Warren, and I know more than a few in Massachusetts will be happy to get rid of that no good republican. He's toast if she decides to run.

August 16, 2011 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  4. Jeff

Warren would make a good senator. However, Scott Brown is not bad at all for a Repub. There are dozens of Repubs who need replacing immediately.

August 16, 2011 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  5. Four and The Door

They should go for it! I would love to see the Progressive Change Campaign Committee blow a few million dollars on a loser in the Massachusetts Senate race. And I would love to see a confused academian like Elizabeth Warren handed a very public defeat like she would get from Scott Brown. 2012 is going to be sweet, but this would be that much sweeter.

August 16, 2011 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  6. Tzckrl

Run, Liz, run!

August 16, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  7. LacrosseMom(real one)

Ms. Warren, go for it! Throw the bum out!

August 16, 2011 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  8. Lynmarbro

I hope she decides to run. I've heard her speak via a tele-conference, and am very impressed with her grasp of facts and clear explanations. Although I live in another state, I will donate to her campaign as soon as she announces. We need more people like her in our government. The Republican Party announcing they would never allow her to be appointed to the Consumer Financial Protection agency was one of the more disgusting partisan moves they've made in recent years. I thought they reached their lowest level over the deficit fiasco, but appointing 6 Republicans to the Super Committee that have already signed the Grover Norquist pledge is even more despicable.

August 16, 2011 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  9. ABM

I hope she runs. Even though I do not live in that state I would vote for her.

Payback to the GOP for grilling her and blocking her appointment.

She would bring a fresh perspective and also I hope she would stir things up against the crybaby obstructionist GOP.

August 16, 2011 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  10. kat

No more libs, they've ruined us enough already.

August 16, 2011 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  11. Taaknevs

If there are true liberals out there who care about this country, please join me in supporting her. Senator for now...President later!!!

August 17, 2011 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  12. T'sah from Virginia

Wisconsin is GROUND ZERO – with two more races accomplished today where DEMOCRATS held their seats and the two wins they had last Tuesday --- Be prepared for 2012 – the Democrats are coming out full force – the RIGHT may feel they have the floor now and they SHOUT the loudest, but they are also showing how STUPID they are and in the end – it's HISTORY!!

You talk about working from the GROUND UP???? Watch out in 2012!!!

August 17, 2011 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  13. J.V.hodgson

I hope she decides to enter the race but think it highly unlikely after all the silliness she experienced re-the FCP appointment and her background / recent return to Harvard.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

August 17, 2011 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  14. Bill in Florida

It's a Senate seat we need to win back. Hopefully the TP lunatics will run a candidate against Brown and the Dem candidate - and I agree that Elizabeth Warren would be an excellemt choice - would win from a split GOP vote.

August 17, 2011 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  15. unretired05

She's so good at making her point with truthful facts, I don't know how she could campaign against a normal politician.

August 17, 2011 06:54 am at 6:54 am |