Perry not backing down on Bernanke remarks
August 16th, 2011

Perry not backing down on Bernanke remarks

Dubuque, Iowa (CNN) - Texas Gov. Rick Perry isn't backing down from comments he made in Iowa on Monday night when he said it would be "treasonous" for Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke to try to stimulate the economy by printing more money.

"I am just passionate about the issue and we stand by what we said," the Republican presidential candidate said after a luncheon with small business owners in Dubuque.

Earlier Tuesday, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney criticized Perry's statement.

"When you're president or you're running for president you have to think about what you're saying because your words have greater impact," Carney said. "President Obama and we take the independence of the Federal Reserve very seriously and certainly think threatening the fed chairman is probably not a good idea."

When making an appearance at an event in Cedar Rapids Monday, Perry was asked what he would do about the Federal Reserve.

The governor replied, "If this guy prints more money between now and the election, I don't know what y'all would do to him in Iowa, but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas."

"I mean, printing more money to play politics at this particular time in American history, is almost treacherous, or treasonous, in my opinion," he added.

Filed under: Ben Bernanke • Rick Perry
  1. Anonymous

Great, just what we need, another idiot from Texas to be our President

August 16, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  2. Sonnie2

Perry has got my vote. Printing Money is same as stealing or robbing a bank. I for one think our debt because over spending has gotting so far out of hand that We should have a D- rating at best and to print more would give us the lowest rating of F-. Time to turn the horse around and head the other direction before we are doomed.

August 16, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. Wes B.

It's one thing to have uneducated citizens. But when the country's supposed leaders are uneducated...well that's a pretty scary problem.

August 16, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  4. Marie MD

Just heard the SECESSIONIS on CNN say that hd loves this countdy When questioned about whether he thinks the President doesn' t love this country he told the reporter to go ask him.
    You have to give it to the teabaggers. Myths that have been proven untruths is all they have against Obama. As I already wrotenthis is the SECESSIONIST babbling likenthe fool he is. Wearing cowboy boots and hat and that heavy texan twang does not makd you a patriot. Too bad he didn't take texas, minus Austin, and really secede!!!

August 16, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  5. Embarrased Conservative

If there is one thing Perry knows it is treason considering he is guilty of it himself. A vote for Perry is an un-American vote.

August 16, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  6. Yikes!

In other words .... IF anything is done to help the middle class and the economy before President Obama is out, that is treason!

August 16, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. Squigman

The country will be poorly served by people who want throw away a system that's worked, and worked well for many years, just to make a political statement. Well here's one statement no one should back down from, Perry, go back to Texas, and stay there with your mouth shut. You're not needed. The nations already divided enough, it needs no further help from the likes of you.

August 16, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  8. azmary

After 8 years of "you're with us or against us" nonesense during the previous administration, I am very tired of the mentality of anyone who thinks any person who does not follow what they want to do is acting in a "treasonous" manner.

August 16, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  9. Laverne

Here we go again, another cocky, arrogant Texan with the shoot 'em up bang bang theory. Rick Perry is exactly what we don't need in Washington, more tough talk and little or no action, pleeez! The evangelicals have convinced this guy he is the only person who can possibly save America. Maybe if they spent even half the amount of time praying for the nation and our current leader instead of hating his very existence, maybe God would be pleased with that and answer their prayers!

August 16, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  10. fayse

Rick Perry will flame out just as Donald Trump did. His background and his meeting with a secret society ( that wants a new World order) will be explored thouroughly. Rick Perry is a puppet for Karl Rove and others.

August 16, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  11. Matthew

Hey, as much as many people disagree with him, its still America & freedom of speach is what this great Country is all about. If you dont like him, dont vote for him. He, unlike Romney has a lot of backbone. Whats wrong with telling us that printing more money is the wrong thing to do? Yes he is a little radical, but he is trying to take a stance. I am a Democrat, but I am not rulling out the guy. Mitt wont challenge this guy caus he knows he will be eatin for lunch. The mormon boy is so afraid of this guy it aint funny & he is starting to pout like a little girl caus Rick has a blank check from big oil to compete/ win this race.

August 16, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  12. Kenneth

Hmmmmm. Perry is exactly the kind of politician America deserves right now. I don't know five people who actually research an issue before taking a stand on it. If you are going to have bumper sticker opinions, expect politicians with bumper sticker talent.

August 16, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  13. Texas Doc

Perry is a traitor, he is a secesionist and an America hater that must be destroyed. The best way to do that is let him become the GOTea nominee and let Obama and the Democrats clean his clock. This guy is all hat and no cattle. The sooner the country gets a load of this stooge the better we will be. He is the visible face of the cancer that is destroying this country, the Republicans.

August 16, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  14. renee

Perry is nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 16, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  15. _ian_

That will help Perry to peel some of the morons off Bachmann, who until now enjoyed the overwhelming support of that particular constituency; and perhaps dip into the "morons among the morons" group aka Palin's supporters.

August 16, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  16. Marry

I watched Governor Perry announce…for president as well…

"I'll work every day to make Washington, DC as inconsequential in your life as I can," Perry said.
    I’ll like to translate this for you:
    “I’ll work every day enjoying myself on the golf course or on the shooting range, depending on who I have here to tell me what I can do for his or her company. Want to make sure, I do not miss any opportunity to make my friends richer and the Corporations happier. Loopholes – Ha, ha, ha….
    And as for you, my sweet little God fearing sheep, I want to be as inconsequential as can be. Well, of cause this will have consequences for you. Like no SS or health services, no infrastructure, no education because, without education you will be very happy with below minimum wage jobs, ha, ha, – eh, I think that thing about jobs…oh well, perhaps something in the military? Oh, I love shooting – of cause only as long nobody shoots back at me, he, he, that is of cause why active duty is not the thing for myself – but I am Texan and I know how to send them!!! Eh no, I have not figured out where I am going to send you – the studies of my friends are not in yet – where it would be most profitable for them – but, I’ll get there! Promise!!

Oh, please, dear voter, be responsible, get informed! Not another lying, simple minded, corrupt and arrogant Texan! have we not suffered enough under the last Texan????
    Obama/Biden 2012!!!!

August 16, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  17. camberly lillich

Great! Another Texan who doesn't understand the economy! But what do you expect when Texas places 46th in the country for SAT math scores and 49th in verbal SAT scores (the explains George Bush)!

August 16, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. Sam

Please Perry take your dog and pony show back to Texas. We need leadership not a tea party do-nothing in the white
    house.

August 16, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  19. chill

This guys is as nuts as the rest of the GOP field. He wants his state of Texas to seceed from the US and thinks the Federal Reserve's efforts to boost the economy are treasonous. To who? His multi-national corporate backers? If these people have their way, we'll have to change the National Motto on our money from In God We Trust to "Ya want fries with that?"

August 16, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  20. Dr. Hayek

If only there had been a candidate talking about the Federal Reserve up until this point ಠ_ಠ

August 16, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  21. The Day of Financial Reckoning is HERE - The Great Democrat Welfare Society Ends

======================================================================
    Next joke. If the Fed is truly independent and can, at a whim, print money and make our dollars worth less then I have a real problem with that. Printing more money should require an act of Congress as it affects all of us. I don't want some politically connected clown messing with the money supply, causing inflation, to try and get Obama re-elected.

August 16, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. don

Here's a man theat know treason when he hears it. Just another reason to have to have TEXAS leave the union Ricky

August 16, 2011 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  23. Phil in KC

Passionate or given to gross exaggeration?
    And in Iowa, we're not given to lynchings, Gov. Perry. We believe in due process. (Speaking as an Iowa native.)

August 16, 2011 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. EddyL

The secessionist is insane. This is his technique: yell and scream and demand. He's still nuts.

August 16, 2011 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  25. waj66

A secessionist calling someone else "Treasonous"?

August 16, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |