Christie source: 'The pressure is ratcheting up'
August 17th, 2011

Christie source: 'The pressure is ratcheting up'

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - A Republican close to Chris Christie says the pressure is intensifying on him to join the presidential race but insists that the New Jersey governor's mind has not changed.

"I think that anybody could change their mind, but I don't see any evidence of that," the source told CNN Wednesday. "They continue to be pestering him and urging him to run."

The source said the pressure on Christie "ratcheted up" on the aftermath of the Ames, Iowa Straw Poll, which effectively forced former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty out of the race.

And in a sign of the campaign's ongoing fluidity, Texas Gov. Rick Perry has dominated coverage of the GOP nomination battle after just five days in the race.

Rumors about Christie and Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan spiked in the days after the straw poll, as establishment Republicans and donors continue to search for a candidate who can not only win the GOP nomination but defeat President Barack Obama in 2012.

Reports surfaced Wednesday about focus groups being conducted on Christie's behalf ahead of a possible presidential bid. Two sources denied that and said the governor's top political advisers are currently on vacation.

Christie adviser Mike DuHaime also issued a flat on-the-record denial about the focus story: "The report is untrue," he said.

"I know he is getting a ton of calls and the pressure is ratcheting up, but as far as I know, his head is still where it's always been," one of the sources told CNN.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie
  1. sick of republican phonies

I agree: "His head is where it's always been." Unfortunately, it's firmly lodged in a place where the sun don't shine.

August 17, 2011 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  2. Jarhead

Chris Christie! Who is she?

August 17, 2011 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  3. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I have mixed feelings about him running for president. It would get him out of NJ; It would reduce his ideology that is screwing up the state and canceling the programs that help the poor like legal support for those that can't afford it. The problem is that I wouldn't want him to win the presidency either since he would then have a chance to screw up the whole country.

August 17, 2011 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  4. Lando

I will vote for you if you could finish the New York Marathon.. not in a strecher
    Dream on...

August 17, 2011 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  5. Clwyd

Watch out! He may be gearing up for a heart attack too! Tell you something about his life style?

August 17, 2011 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

I see from the photograph that fattie, I mean, Christie hasn't seen the inside of a gymnasium still.

August 17, 2011 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  7. Nini

I think Chris should have a George Washington moment and realize you must stand up for your country and fight for it.
    Mr. Chris Christie the timing may not be good for you on the personal level but we all must do what is asked of us for our country and this maybe your time.

August 17, 2011 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  8. TiAmo

Too bad for us. Obama has been a disappointment, but it would be hard to vote for any of the other Republicans currently seeking the nomination. I could easily vote for Christie. As an independant, I will listen to and vote for who I think will make the best president, not because of party affiliation. Had I his ear, I would urge Christie to run. I hope those close to him are.

August 17, 2011 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  9. GOP hates Middle Class

Run Fatboy run

August 17, 2011 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. drc

I wasn't stupid enough to vote for an unexperienced person that never held a job and was not guilted into voting for him because of the 'race' card, so there is no way I'd vote for the horror in chief now who has done anything but CHANGE Washington. (keep in mind I did not EVER vote for Dubya)

August 17, 2011 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |