Dems jab Romney with apparel
August 17th, 2011

Dems jab Romney with apparel

(CNN) - Democrats are continuing to fundraise off a comment made last week by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, this time with t-shirts mocking the former Massachusetts governor.

The $30 shirts from the Democratic National Committee show Romney with a thumbs up above the words "some of my best friends are corporations."

When pressed about raising the corporate tax rates during an appearance in Iowa Thursday, Romney told a heckler "Corporations are people, my friend."

"Everything corporations earn ultimately goes to the people," Romney said. "Where do you think it goes? Whose pockets? Whose pockets? People's pockets. Human beings my friend."

Those on the left, including DNC chair Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz immediately seized upon the comments as an example of Republican's "misplaced priorities."

"It is a shocking admission from a candidate – and a party – that shamelessly puts forward policies to help large corporations and the wealthiest Americans at the expense of the middle class, seniors, and students," Wasserman Schultz said in a statement.

The DNC released an ad in Iowa Saturday pouncing on the same comments.

But Romney stood by the comments, saying a corporate tax is also a tax on individuals.

"People deserve the interest of our government, and any time you tax a corporation or a business, you're taxing people at one place or another," Romney said in New Hampshire Friday. "So we can't pretend that somehow, there's an entity out there made of steel and concrete and it's going to pay money to the government."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. NothingNew

Man the republicans are putting their best on the campaign trail!

August 17, 2011 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

-------------
    That is a true statement. It is a classic example of how Republicans speak the 100% truth, when we know it is a lie. It is how they can say such things with genuine honesty.

The money does to "people." Mitt wants you believe that it goes to all of the people. He is just leaving out the fact that he is referring to people at the top.

The other lie being told is that corporations care about their employees. The only thing corporations care about is profit. And, if they could figure out away to turn a profit with fewer or even no employees below a certain pay grade, they would most certainly make those changes.

August 17, 2011 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  3. gypsyalso

is the shirt MADE IN THE USA?

Where do we get them?

August 17, 2011 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I think the wording doesn't carry the "punch" that they were looking for, at least it didn't for me. Additionally, that's actually a pretty flattering image of Herman Munster on thr t-shirt.

August 17, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I would've gone with: " I too am unemployed....worth $250million, but unemployed nonetheless".

August 17, 2011 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  6. Martha in CF

The Democrats need to come out and defend their policies anyway they can... All that can come out of the redumblicans mouth is negative, hatred comments.................Let's hear, redumblicans, what you have lined up for jobs promised in your 2010 campaigns that got you wrongfully elected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

August 17, 2011 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  7. ABM

Classic!!!!! Keep telling the truth!!!!

August 17, 2011 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  8. Rudy NYC

-------------
    The USofA was established by the people and for the people. Not by the business, for the business.

Romney is inferring the conclusions reached in the "Citizen's United" ruling. The SCOTUS could not have been more wrong. How can they rule that businesses are people when the word "business" does not appear anywhere in The Consitution or any other of the founding documents. The ruling implies that businesses have the right to vote.

They will argue "taxation without representation" and other altruistic nonsense. How long will it take for businesses to start demanding that right? A demand that could grant some individuals the privilige of voting more than once. How many voting priviliges should money be able to buy?

August 17, 2011 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  9. Phil in KC

Funny! I like what they're trying to say. But I would never pay $30 to have a picture of Mitt Romney on chest – even if it was to make fun of him.

August 17, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  10. derek

Romney, "Does,nt know how to talk with "Regular Americans" !!! He just gets "Mad" at questions by ordinary people,and goes directly back to " Big Corporations"???? Perry and Bachmann, "Are just Insane, Period!!!

August 17, 2011 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  11. FM

I would like to contribute my 30 dollars but would like to request that my T-shirt be sent Romney Camp.

August 17, 2011 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  12. EddyL

Republicans protect the rich and the corporate from paying their fair share of taxes..... BOOOOOOO

August 17, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  13. nagrom

Excuse me but didn't Bush give up corporate taxes? Isn't that what all the TeaParty activists want to keep in place? Wasn't that trickle down economics by Reagan? Didn't some of them get bailout money? Haven't corporations all raised their prices and in the place of banks weren't they supposed to be controlled but now are out of control with low to no interest on savings and fees for using any ATM's but theirs and out of control fees on checking accounts. Now they are even talking about fees on debit cards. Where is it all going to end. The middle and poor classes are continually being assaulted.

August 17, 2011 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  14. Sniffit

I am not going to call him weird.

August 17, 2011 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  15. Padraig

I am always amazed at this statement, very inane. All politicians regardless of parties support corporation. In this case the group I call the people's party (Democrats), you support to heavy corporate moguls such as Bill Gates, George Soros, Heinze, Walton, and many more.

It is time to face up to the facts, both groups placate to corporations and their executives.

August 17, 2011 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  16. Kyle

The DNC is purposely taking Romney's comments out of context. He was saying that he doesn't want to raise taxes on any people. Someone shouted that he should tax corporations then. He responded "corporations are people, my friend." The point? Taxing corporations is just another way to tax people. Taking money from corporations takes money from managers, investors, and individual contributors. In addition, layoffs happen.

If you are so certain that the top dogs take more money than they deserve without a thought for the middle-class workers, then will taxing them more cause them to lower their own salaries? Or will they fire the middle-class "underlings" instead?

August 17, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  17. Pa mom

Romney absolutely opened himself to this one! When the dems have the unemployed, uneducated voter base who does not understand economics, does not pay taxes yet wants to live like the rich......manipulate! I feel sorry that this country cannot be educated to make the right decision with facts and I would not vote for Romney unless he was running against OBAMA. If people want more of the corporate earnings, then invest in them! People are hired to work.

August 17, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  18. Rusty Dils

I sincerely hope that the DNC and Debbie Wasserman Schultz promote these t-shirts. The more they promote them, The more likely it is that Mitt Romney will get elected. Debbie, Please, print a bunch more of these shirts. This is one of the best promotions I have seen to help Mitt Romney get elected. One thing thow, could you lower your price some, I can get Mitt Romney T shirts for about 1/2 Price. Anyway, thanks again from a Staunch Mitt Romney supporter. One thing all you guys overlook, is that if I work for minimum wage somewhere, And I choose to buy a share of stock in a public corporation, the taxes on that corporation do effect my one share of stock. So even though I might be working for minimum wage somewhere, My one share of stock will be adversely effected by higher coporate taxes. So as Mitt Romney said, Corporations are people. But I cannot reiterate this enough. Please, Please, DNC, keep promoting these T-shirts, All of us Mitt Romney supporters thank you in advance for helping to get Mitt Elected President.

August 17, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |