August 17th, 2011

Lieberman: Undecided about 2012 endorsement

(CNN) - Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman has yet to decide if he will support President Barack Obama in the 2012 election.

On CNN's "American Morning," the Connecticut senator, who caucuses with the Democrats, said the election is important and he hopes to be involved.

"I'm going to approach this as an independent and I think most independents haven't made up their mind yet," Lieberman said Wednesday. "One of the reasons I haven't made up my mind is that I don't know who the Republican candidate will be."

Lieberman, who recently published "The Gift of Rest: Rediscovering the Beauty of the Sabbath," served as Al Gore's vice presidential running mate in 2000 before running for president in 2004. He became an independent in 2006 and supported Republican Sen. John McCain for president in 2008. Lieberman announced earlier this year he will not seek reelection to the Senate in 2012.

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Lieberman
  1. Rudy NYC

He may not know who he will endorse, but we all know who he will not endorse.

August 17, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  2. Sniffit

Per usual, Jowly Joe is waiting to see what he can get out of it for himself.

August 17, 2011 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  3. Sniffit

Then look at ALL of the GOP candidates and compare and contrast their positions with Obama. This isn't a tough decision. Not a single GOP candidate is even remotely similar to Obama and their policy positions are not even on the same planet. Either you support Obama, sanity and planet Earth or you support the Teatrolls and their space cadet daydream of repealing and replacing Amurika with a corporate plutocracy that will magically make them all rich when the exorbitantly wealthy decide they don't need any more money and assets.

Per usual, Jowly Joe is waiting to see what he can get out of it for himself.

August 17, 2011 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  4. Charlie in Maine

Whenever I get sad for our country that the Supreme Court gave George Bush the election in 2000 and I ponder everything that "The Bush Error" has done to our country I find some solice in the fact that at least that Judas Lieberman was denied the Vice Presidency to which he was elected.

So Joe, I don't give a rat's derrierre who you support for President in 2012. I am for the real Democrat in the race our President. Also any Democrat stupid enough to run against him woul never get my vote in 2016.

August 17, 2011 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  5. AL in West Palm Beach

Joe speaks and the world realizes he is a true turncoat.

August 17, 2011 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  6. Al,NY-NY

Since you supported the Old Man and the C in 2008, we can assume you will not support Obama in 2012. Whatever Joe

August 17, 2011 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  7. mgc florida

Doesn't reallly matter, no one respects him anymore anyway. Endorse who you want Joe, doesn't matter to most of us.

August 17, 2011 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  8. Henry

Joe, you are a has-been. You are so very much irrelevant. The only people who care about you are the ones in your head.

August 17, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  9. Weezie

Joe Lieberman is such a backstabber and turncoat! Whomever he decides to align with, had better watch their back because the knife is not very far away!

August 17, 2011 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  10. dirtygopfleabaggers

Go away Joe, the Democratic party don't need or want your endorsement. Obama2012.

August 17, 2011 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  11. Mjic

Ok who cares Joe. Go home sure u can find someone to betray there.

August 17, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  12. The Elephant in The Room

I always remember how to spell his name by starting with the word "LIE".

Joe Lieberman is an Israeli 1st and an AMERICAN 3rd. That`s right THIRD.

He will be angling for some pro-Israel policy at the expense of the larger interests of the American people.

He has proven his disloyalty to the Democrats who graciously nominated him to be VP in 2000. [BTW- I hope they have stripped his committee chairmanship for his backstabbing ways]

If Romney makes some pro-Israel claim, LIEberman will back him. It will be of no consequence in NY, CT though.

August 17, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |