O'Donnell walks out of CNN interview
August 18th, 2011

O'Donnell walks out of CNN interview

(CNN) - Christine O'Donnell, the former Delaware GOP Senate candidate, walked off the set of CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight" Wednesday when asked about her views on sexual abstinence and gay marriage.

"I'm not talking about policies. I'm not running for office," O'Donnell said. "Ask Michele Bachmann what she thinks."

When Morgan asked her why she was being "weird" about answering questions on her own statements, as well as issues she addresses in her new book, "Troublemaker," O'Donnell fired back, saying she only wanted to talk about tea party principles outlined in her book.

"That's why I agreed to come on your show. That's what I want to talk about," O'Donnell said. "I'm not being weird. You're being a little rude."

O'Donnell made national headlines in 2010 when she denied in a TV ad that she was a witch, responding to comments she made a decade earlier on a tv show saying she had "dabbled in witchcraft."

During her Senate campaign, O'Donnell ran as a tea party darling and social conservative. She said she hopes her new book will be an inspirational tool for the grassroots conservative movement.

But when asked about issues from her book and her campaign Wednesday, O'Donnell walked away from the interview, upset that Morgan was not talking about the things she wished to address.

"Don't you think as a host, if I say this is what I want to talk about, that's what we should address?" she asked Morgan.

When Morgan said "no," O'Donnell began to take off her microphone and said she had turned down another interview for this appearance.

"I was supposed to be speaking at the Republican Women's Club at 6, and I chose to be a little late for that," she said. "Not to endure a rude talk show host, but to talk to you about my book and the issues I address in my book."

In an interview with WTTG in Washington Thursday, O'Donnell said she felt she made the right decision to end the CNN interview. Regarding Morgan, she said, "I wish him well - he's a cheeky bugger."

"Piers, thanks for the invite. Schedule is already packed, maybe another night. No hard feelings, you cheeky bugger," O'Donnell said in a tweet published on her official website Wednesday at 10:30 p.m.

Earlier in the CNN interview, O'Donnell answered questions about her Senate campaign, saying she had made mistakes and caused "self-inflicted wounds."

She argued that during the midterms she had been unfairly treated by the GOP, which she said failed to defend her from both Republican and Democratic attacks.

Most notably, O'Donnell said she regretted listening to the campaign consultants who advised her to make the famous "I'm not a witch" TV ad.

"I listened to the so-called experts who have been losing election after election," O'Donnell said. "The experts aren't always experts."

While the former Senate candidate didn't indicate whether she was vying for a political comeback, O'Donnell said she wants to "stay in the political arena" and talk about the issues.

She also warned that the country was heading toward calamity.

"The reality is our country is going bankrupt. Our country is on the brink of collapsing," O'Donnell said. "This is a very grave situation, unlike any time. We need real solutions."

O'Donnell began to express discomfort when Morgan turned the conversation to her previous comments on sexual abstinence from a 1996 interview she gave to MTV. At the time, O'Donnell was an advocate for abstinence and had founded a pro-abstinence group. She also discouraged masturbation.

When Morgan asked her if she still held those views, O'Donnell said she was a practicing Catholic and supports what the church teaches but would not do the same MTV interview today.

Morgan pressed her again, asking if she was still a supporter of abstinence.

"Are you the pro-masturbation talk show host?" O'Donnell asked, jokingly.

"Why, yes," Morgan replied in jest.

O'Donnell then tried to change the subject to the political principles from her book, and when Morgan continued to ask about her comments on sex, O'Donnell argued that the host was being rude.

Watch Piers Morgan Live weeknights 9 p.m. ET. For the latest from Piers Morgan click here.

1. Kevin Plantz

"wasn't not talking" yea.......

August 17, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  2. A keen observer

Poor baby.Grow up, this is the real world not some tea party fantasy.

August 17, 2011 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  3. UncleM

Why is she even being interviewed. Who cares?

August 17, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  4. GOP = Greed Over People

“Don’t you think as a host, if I say this is what I want to talk about, that’s what we should address?”

CNN, she obviously thought she was in the Fox News studio and was wondering why Greta looked so masculine!

She gives "dazed and confused" a whole new definition.

August 17, 2011 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  5. WFO

Ok crazy lady ... you've reset the bar for NUTCASE. Geez, and I thought I was nuts!

August 17, 2011 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  6. Mike in MN

typical republican can't handle questions that aren't scripted by their handlers.

August 17, 2011 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  7. Real

Strange. I thought she was open to anything.

August 17, 2011 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  8. Claudia, Houston, Tx

This girl is wierd and along with that she's not too bright and doesn't want to talk about politics but wants to talk about the Tea Party, what kind of idiot does she take Piers to be. If O'Donnell represents the Tea Party or any party, Lord help them.

August 17, 2011 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  9. twiddly

I hope everyone else in the press asks the exact same questions of her.
    Such an idiot. I so hope her book is a huge flop like Palin's movie.

August 17, 2011 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  10. connieb

must have been a gotcha question

August 17, 2011 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  11. Creston

The kindest thing I can think of to say about Miss O'Donnell is that she is an idiot!

August 17, 2011 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  12. Marty Rosenstock

Why was it even necessary to bring up the topic? While I don't necessarily think she was mature in walking out, she was right in sticking to her guns about the topics. What difference does it make about her opinions on gay marriage????

August 17, 2011 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  13. T'sah from Virginia

Just like the bimbos who are running for President – they only want to talk about what's on THEIR agenda – It's THEIR WAY or the HIGHWAY. O'mcDonnell has FAILED on her attempt to make a come back!!!

August 17, 2011 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  14. scott

watch out pierce, she might turn u into a pumpkin.....

August 17, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  15. Jamie from Riverside

Did she get up out her chair and say: "i'll get you, my little pretty"? Afterwards she promptly flew away on her broom back to her evil lair and put a hex on Piers Morgan. Cackle, cackle, cackle!

August 17, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  16. Freedom 2012

Sad...there are no more gentlemen anymore. They enjoy being rough and tough-even on women.

August 17, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  17. Ape Lincoln

I saw that and only could think of how much she is a bleeding vagina.

August 17, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  18. Jules

I found Ms. O'Donnell actually being the rude one. She couldn't answer a simple question? I think she should never attempt to run for any political office again! She showed her true colors in the interview.

August 17, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  19. Nija

She is a obviously Witch.

August 17, 2011 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  20. cindy

While you are concentrating on this crap-our dear leaders in congress...boehner and cantor won't are doing the opposite of what they were elected for....pushing for no jobs. They don't care about anything but continuing on destroying America. Where are the jobs ??????? no funding for them cortesy of rethug and teaparty is what they are pushing for and more cuts. Their other co horts arecharging for town halls to keep down those that don't support them and question their destruction. some in SC charging too. Maybe they need this women in congress to exorcise the rethuglican teaparty demons.....

August 17, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  21. ryan

Pierce I thought your show sucked before, you just gained a new viewer keep up the good work. What a freak. way to represent the tea party

August 17, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  22. Reginald

These Tea Partyers can sure give it out, but they sure as heck can't take it. Do I smell immature here?

August 17, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  23. LNB

Imagine this one in office. Glad that did not work out....WOW~ So, that leaves the rest of the bunch to thwart. But, I hear there are more clowns in the car!

August 17, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  24. JIM

Is the entire TParty made up of idiots and incompetants or does it just seem that way????

August 17, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  25. B

Kind of a non-story, don’t ya think..... ?

August 17, 2011 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |