O'Donnell walks out of CNN interview
August 18th, 2011

O'Donnell walks out of CNN interview

(CNN) - Christine O'Donnell, the former Delaware GOP Senate candidate, walked off the set of CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight" Wednesday when asked about her views on sexual abstinence and gay marriage.

"I'm not talking about policies. I'm not running for office," O'Donnell said. "Ask Michele Bachmann what she thinks."

When Morgan asked her why she was being "weird" about answering questions on her own statements, as well as issues she addresses in her new book, "Troublemaker," O'Donnell fired back, saying she only wanted to talk about tea party principles outlined in her book.

"That's why I agreed to come on your show. That's what I want to talk about," O'Donnell said. "I'm not being weird. You're being a little rude."

O'Donnell made national headlines in 2010 when she denied in a TV ad that she was a witch, responding to comments she made a decade earlier on a tv show saying she had "dabbled in witchcraft."

During her Senate campaign, O'Donnell ran as a tea party darling and social conservative. She said she hopes her new book will be an inspirational tool for the grassroots conservative movement.

But when asked about issues from her book and her campaign Wednesday, O'Donnell walked away from the interview, upset that Morgan was not talking about the things she wished to address.

"Don't you think as a host, if I say this is what I want to talk about, that's what we should address?" she asked Morgan.

When Morgan said "no," O'Donnell began to take off her microphone and said she had turned down another interview for this appearance.

"I was supposed to be speaking at the Republican Women's Club at 6, and I chose to be a little late for that," she said. "Not to endure a rude talk show host, but to talk to you about my book and the issues I address in my book."

In an interview with WTTG in Washington Thursday, O'Donnell said she felt she made the right decision to end the CNN interview. Regarding Morgan, she said, "I wish him well - he's a cheeky bugger."

"Piers, thanks for the invite. Schedule is already packed, maybe another night. No hard feelings, you cheeky bugger," O'Donnell said in a tweet published on her official website Wednesday at 10:30 p.m.

Earlier in the CNN interview, O'Donnell answered questions about her Senate campaign, saying she had made mistakes and caused "self-inflicted wounds."

She argued that during the midterms she had been unfairly treated by the GOP, which she said failed to defend her from both Republican and Democratic attacks.

Most notably, O'Donnell said she regretted listening to the campaign consultants who advised her to make the famous "I'm not a witch" TV ad.

"I listened to the so-called experts who have been losing election after election," O'Donnell said. "The experts aren't always experts."

While the former Senate candidate didn't indicate whether she was vying for a political comeback, O'Donnell said she wants to "stay in the political arena" and talk about the issues.

She also warned that the country was heading toward calamity.

"The reality is our country is going bankrupt. Our country is on the brink of collapsing," O'Donnell said. "This is a very grave situation, unlike any time. We need real solutions."

O'Donnell began to express discomfort when Morgan turned the conversation to her previous comments on sexual abstinence from a 1996 interview she gave to MTV. At the time, O'Donnell was an advocate for abstinence and had founded a pro-abstinence group. She also discouraged masturbation.

When Morgan asked her if she still held those views, O'Donnell said she was a practicing Catholic and supports what the church teaches but would not do the same MTV interview today.

Morgan pressed her again, asking if she was still a supporter of abstinence.

"Are you the pro-masturbation talk show host?" O'Donnell asked, jokingly.

"Why, yes," Morgan replied in jest.

O'Donnell then tried to change the subject to the political principles from her book, and when Morgan continued to ask about her comments on sex, O'Donnell argued that the host was being rude.

Watch Piers Morgan Live weeknights 9 p.m. ET. For the latest from Piers Morgan click here.

1. jersvette

What needs to be said? Can you imagine if this woman, Sharon Angle and the jerk in Alaska won their senate seats where this country would be now?

August 17, 2011 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  2. unretired05

Did she walk off or fly away on her broom?

August 17, 2011 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  3. J. North

Morgan is right. She is weird!

August 17, 2011 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  4. ngc1300

I guess Morgan didn't care to help her sell her book.

August 17, 2011 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  5. Rick McDaniel

That's ok. When hosts, become antagonists, people should walk.

August 17, 2011 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  6. bonesbone

When you say walked out, you mean flew out on her bloom....

August 17, 2011 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  7. Andrew

So basically, its "sell and promote my book" or I'm not playing. O’Donnell, take your witchcraft and go play somewhere else. This a show for adults and if you can't take it, don't dish it. Weirdo.

August 17, 2011 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  8. ThinkAgain

Here's the problem: O'Donnell has the maturity level of a child (with my apologies to children everywhere). This was an INTERVIEW, where the person doing the said interview asks questions.

If you wanted to participate in a staged event, where you and your peeps decided the "questions" beforehand, fine, go ahead. But this was an INTERVIEW (see explanation above).

What an airhead!

August 17, 2011 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  9. Captian Ourkie

Typical Teabagger.........loser. But I thought she would have more sense than to make a fool of herself on national television.

August 17, 2011 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  10. Marie MD

I would like somebody to answer me this simple question . . . . WHY IS THIS WITCH BACK IN THE NEWS AGAIN?
    Is she once again stealing money from her contributors? She is like every other teabagger who doesn't like to be challenged and only want THEIR questions asked. No matter what they have said in the past all they want to do is pretend they didn't say it or that they now feel different or try to spin it (ala flake) to mean something they didn't say.

August 17, 2011 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  11. BOHICA

Why is this clown still around? Why didn't they indict her for campaign fraud? She's a moron.

August 17, 2011 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  12. Gr. Rapids, MI

And, then she took her broom, and flew away!

August 17, 2011 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  13. Ada mount pocono, pa

All the Republican/tea party crazies want to talk about is their own agendas. They don't care about the middle class or the poor because they think they are better than us. It's really stupid and puzzling that the tea baggers don't want to raise taxes on the riches americans, and that is because they are all in it together. All you idiots that believe these people are just as crazy as they are.

August 17, 2011 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  14. Sean

If you want a pushover interview go talk to Sean Hannity, he is more than willing to only talk about things you are comfortable with. You know, as long as what your saying he agree's with, which shouldn't be a problem for you Christine.

August 17, 2011 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  15. Tom

Why to go Christine! I find it odd that the press never asked Obama any personal questions when he ran for office and they still don't. I dont know why you went to wanted to promote your book on a show with no ratings anyway.

August 17, 2011 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  16. CoffeeBoy

What a personality! Witch. Tea Party really brings to a new element of religious fanatic ideas with this new lady and Michelle Bachmann. From Bachmann's god to O-Donnell's witchcraft, how can Obama fight this kind of spirits?

August 17, 2011 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  17. Tom

Why to go Christine! I find it odd that the press never asked Obama any personal questions when he ran for office and they still don't. I dont know why you wanted to promote your book on a show with no ratings anyway.

August 17, 2011 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  18. Jared

The class of the Tea Party....lol. It amazes me everyday that some people actually take them seriously.

August 17, 2011 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  19. MichaelinSingapore

I'm not an O'Donnell fan but this guy is a smarmy limey. Couldn't we find an American to take over for Larry King?

August 17, 2011 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  20. jeb

Why anyone would buy a book by this cling-on is beyond me.

August 17, 2011 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  21. Schwarzey

Why would CNN choose to interview this crackpot? There are several others, a hair bit more relevant. One came in second at the straw poll, and they are afraid to speak to him. Why is that?

August 17, 2011 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  22. RINO Bil

CNN was stupid for inviting this clown on in the first place. She is a failed state candidate with no national relevance whatsoever, she has no views worth considering and her husband is an overweight clod who enjoys pushing around small reporters and blocking cameras.

I sometimes wonder what kind of masochists are you guys at CNN?

August 17, 2011 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  23. Paco Taco

I light farts on fire. Even ones that I don't release.

August 17, 2011 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  24. Rudy NYC

“Don’t you think as a host, if I say this is what I want to talk about, that’s what we should address?” she asked Morgan.
    ----------------–
    I would suppose that we now know how interviews work that she does not walk away from. I mean. Like, uh. He asked about content in her own book. Sounds like fair questions to me. Had she stayed it probably would have meant more book sales.

August 17, 2011 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  25. G

"She’s set to soon to release a book that she hopes to be an inspirational tool...."?
    "...upset that Morgan wasn’t not talking about the things she wished to address."?
    For Pete's sake, CNN. Do you have editors any more? I'm catching at least 2 or 3 grammar/spelling mistakes per article.

August 17, 2011 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |