O'Donnell walks out of CNN interview
August 18th, 2011

O'Donnell walks out of CNN interview

(CNN) - Christine O'Donnell, the former Delaware GOP Senate candidate, walked off the set of CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight" Wednesday when asked about her views on sexual abstinence and gay marriage.

"I'm not talking about policies. I'm not running for office," O'Donnell said. "Ask Michele Bachmann what she thinks."

When Morgan asked her why she was being "weird" about answering questions on her own statements, as well as issues she addresses in her new book, "Troublemaker," O'Donnell fired back, saying she only wanted to talk about tea party principles outlined in her book.

"That's why I agreed to come on your show. That's what I want to talk about," O'Donnell said. "I'm not being weird. You're being a little rude."

O'Donnell made national headlines in 2010 when she denied in a TV ad that she was a witch, responding to comments she made a decade earlier on a tv show saying she had "dabbled in witchcraft."

During her Senate campaign, O'Donnell ran as a tea party darling and social conservative. She said she hopes her new book will be an inspirational tool for the grassroots conservative movement.

But when asked about issues from her book and her campaign Wednesday, O'Donnell walked away from the interview, upset that Morgan was not talking about the things she wished to address.

"Don't you think as a host, if I say this is what I want to talk about, that's what we should address?" she asked Morgan.

When Morgan said "no," O'Donnell began to take off her microphone and said she had turned down another interview for this appearance.

"I was supposed to be speaking at the Republican Women's Club at 6, and I chose to be a little late for that," she said. "Not to endure a rude talk show host, but to talk to you about my book and the issues I address in my book."

In an interview with WTTG in Washington Thursday, O'Donnell said she felt she made the right decision to end the CNN interview. Regarding Morgan, she said, "I wish him well - he's a cheeky bugger."

"Piers, thanks for the invite. Schedule is already packed, maybe another night. No hard feelings, you cheeky bugger," O'Donnell said in a tweet published on her official website Wednesday at 10:30 p.m.

Earlier in the CNN interview, O'Donnell answered questions about her Senate campaign, saying she had made mistakes and caused "self-inflicted wounds."

She argued that during the midterms she had been unfairly treated by the GOP, which she said failed to defend her from both Republican and Democratic attacks.

Most notably, O'Donnell said she regretted listening to the campaign consultants who advised her to make the famous "I'm not a witch" TV ad.

"I listened to the so-called experts who have been losing election after election," O'Donnell said. "The experts aren't always experts."

While the former Senate candidate didn't indicate whether she was vying for a political comeback, O'Donnell said she wants to "stay in the political arena" and talk about the issues.

She also warned that the country was heading toward calamity.

"The reality is our country is going bankrupt. Our country is on the brink of collapsing," O'Donnell said. "This is a very grave situation, unlike any time. We need real solutions."

O'Donnell began to express discomfort when Morgan turned the conversation to her previous comments on sexual abstinence from a 1996 interview she gave to MTV. At the time, O'Donnell was an advocate for abstinence and had founded a pro-abstinence group. She also discouraged masturbation.

When Morgan asked her if she still held those views, O'Donnell said she was a practicing Catholic and supports what the church teaches but would not do the same MTV interview today.

Morgan pressed her again, asking if she was still a supporter of abstinence.

"Are you the pro-masturbation talk show host?" O'Donnell asked, jokingly.

"Why, yes," Morgan replied in jest.

O'Donnell then tried to change the subject to the political principles from her book, and when Morgan continued to ask about her comments on sex, O'Donnell argued that the host was being rude.

Watch Piers Morgan Live weeknights 9 p.m. ET. For the latest from Piers Morgan click here.

1. godhealretards

This lady is a moron.
    So she said that she's there to talk about things from her lousy book, and Piers was asking questions about her book, and she concludes that he's RUDE?!
    And the walking off is completely...retard and immature. Being a politician, you should at least learn how to dodge questions that you don't answer, not running away!
    Complete idiot. How did she become a "politician"? I thought America's got loads of people smarter than this babbling fool!

August 17, 2011 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  2. Patrick Lewis

That was awesome. If you want a softball interview, O'Donnell, go pre-arrange some theater with Fox News, where they only beat up on moderates, liberals and democrats.

August 17, 2011 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  3. Joe

Sorry, sweetie. The world already has a bubble-headed, moronic, imbecilic, ignorant, bimbo Republican doucebag. Her name is Sarah Palin. We don't need you too. Go back to pressing your hair in a waffle iron and leave the grown ups to run the world.

August 17, 2011 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  4. Anna

O'Donnell is a crazy witch. I can't believe we are giving her the time to be on air. Please let's start brushing off non-sensical drama out of politics. Let's use our brain for once in our country!

August 17, 2011 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  5. Grow up already...

Lucky Piers. Good thing she didn't turn him into a toad...

August 17, 2011 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  6. Nancy

Congratulations Christine for walking out. Piers was being an arrogant bully. Too bad Piers, I'm done with watching you. You've gotten too full of yourself and are well on your way to self destruction. You were sickening.

August 17, 2011 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  7. david

Must be something with GOP women. If it isn't my way...I quit.

August 17, 2011 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  8. JOregon

She really isn't all there.

August 17, 2011 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  9. April

Piers Morgan was completely trying to "Pick a Fight"... I mean, really? Would he have asked any other book author about their sexual preferences and masterbation? He should be embarressed as an Interviewer. I know that I was embarressed for him.

August 17, 2011 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  10. GG Liddie

I suppose, on one hand, that more time spent on nonsensical tea-party performers is a big-ole yawn fest. But, on the other hand, this should yet again underscore how they have a proven pattern of running away from inquiries about their past comments and positions. They don't mind using dog-whistle code to rile-up their base; but when ayone from the other 67 percent of the populace steps toward their space ... they cave. Parry, Bachmann, Palin, Kasich, Scott, the Douchebag Gov from WI & Christie all do it! Like the old song, "Flip, Flop, Fly ... don't care if I die ..."

August 17, 2011 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  11. sonnycam1

ehahahaha.........Cvnt..

August 17, 2011 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  12. Mtnmedic

Nitwit. If this is the kind of person the Teabaggers and GOP give any credence to, Obama will will the election hands down.

August 17, 2011 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  13. MaryM555

Why would CNN waste their air time on this teabag nut case O'Donell? Piers, interview someone interesting

August 17, 2011 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  14. bad2worse

She just wants to sell the book.

August 17, 2011 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  15. Geoffrey in Lowell MA

Piers Morgan was appropriate and asking reasonable questions of interest to his listeners. I think it is time for politicians and I must say, tea party politicians, to realize that appearing on a talk show or for an interview is not their own private commercial for whatever it is they want to say. If they want to say exactly what is on their mind, they can buy advertising time. If you show up for an interview, you get interviewed and if your mind is so limited you cannot handle what the interviewer is asking ... don't go in the first place.

August 17, 2011 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  16. los60

I said it over and over again, no matter what folks think about President Obama, the repub party are gone, I mean it's all gone serious white wring and no matter who put us in this message for 8 lying yr's the repub is destroying this country of all american's (blacks, white, hispanic, asian, native americans (Ind & Mex) and of all mix's and colors) NOW PRINT THAT

August 17, 2011 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  17. lstro

Typical Tea Party tactic. It's my way or no way. Can you even believe there is a large chunk of people out there who voted for this moron. How pathetic is that?

August 17, 2011 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  18. John

No one what to hear about the Tea Party. The Tea Party Is nothing but a bunch of crap. They like the People that they are backing either being a crook or someone that Dumb or both.

August 17, 2011 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  19. Errm

The Tea Party is NOT a grass-roots organization, CNN. They are funded by the Koch Brothers.

August 17, 2011 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  20. Tom Tucker

When will O'Donnell realize she is finished? If she really wants to promote the Tea Party, she should either bow out in humility or garner a little backbone and act like an adult rather than a spoiled child. I'm speaking as a pro-Tea Party advocate myself. The Tea Party has many great members with awesome ideas, great leadership potential, and a very much needed passion for the US and its people. Not to mention a love and respect for the US Constitution. But give me a break! Where would we be if the founding fathers behaved like O'Donnell? Time to grow up and be an adult.

August 17, 2011 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  21. mboma

Nothing has changed. IShe's still a witch.

August 17, 2011 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  22. forward gal

Why in the world would anyone want to interview this clown? She's dumber than a post and needs to hide in a room with the door locked. Throw away the key while you're at it.

August 17, 2011 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  23. Bruengger Marcel

Congratulations Mr Morgan, great interview, you did an excellent job, in a very professional way.
    (Mrs O’Donnell has obviously nothings to say!?)

August 17, 2011 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  24. Sid Prejean

Just another minor leaguer.

August 17, 2011 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  25. cardog

Whenever the media decides to give these kooky woman attention, this is the result. Ms. O'Donnell only wants to talk about what she wants to talk about. Well thas fine with me, but it disturbs me that CNN and MSNBC find this acceptable. If Ms.O'Donnell wants her way, or Ms. Palin wants her way, and God forbid, Ms.Bachmann wants her way, quit giving them a channel to speak their craziness.

August 17, 2011 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |