Palin: Obama 'very tone deaf' with vacation
August 18th, 2011

Palin: Obama 'very tone deaf' with vacation

Washington (CNN) - While the White House is still working on the jobs proposal the President will put forth in early September, former Republican Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin has already drawn some conclusions.

Saying it will be based on his past record which she said has failed to spur growth, Palin called the upcoming plan a "third stimulus" program and said it will be counterproductive to the president's aims of creating jobs.

"Unfortunately he is of that mindset of incurring more debt will get us out of debt," Palin, a paid contributor to Fox News, said in an interview on that network on Thursday.

While administration officials have said there will be new spending proposed as part of his initiative next month, they said any of that additional cost will be offset by deficit reduction that is included in the plan put forth by the special congressional super committee.

On the president's vacation to the resort island of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts beginning Thursday, Palin said Obama is "very, very tone deaf" for continuing with his vacation because of economic problems facing the country.

Asked if he should go, Palin responded "I wouldn't if I were he, especially to Martha's Vineyard," and added, "I think he will hear from enough Americans that he will come back early."

Known for her criticism of the media coverage she received during the 2008 campaign, Palin on Thursday did not join in with those who lambasted the cover of Newsweek magazine earlier this month as being sexist when it showed an unflattering picture of presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann with the title "Queen of Rage."

"Every candidate is going to be vetted. I think now so more than ever because we learned a lesson with electing a president who was not vetted by the mainstream media, and you know we are now asking what did we get out of that," she said in the interview.

"I think there is going to be a lot of vetting, and some will interpret that because a female candidate will be vetted the same as a man even more so as being sexist. I don't know if I would characterize as being sexist. I would just characterize it as the new normal. I think it is quite healthy," she said.

Regarding an issue that dominated much of the campaign conversation this week she complimented her former gubernatorial colleague and current presidential candidate Rick Perry for some of his criticism of the Federal Reserve. She was not specifically asked if he went too far in saying some of the actions of its chairman Ben Bernanke could be considered treasonous. She has criticized some of the Fed's actions in the past to prop up the economy.

"More power to Rick Perry for calling it the way he saw it," Palin said Thursday.

She said she agreed with some analysts that President Obama elevated Gov. Perry by responding to a question about the governor. The president told CNN's Wolf Blitzer earlier this week, "I'll cut him some slack. He's only been at it for a few days now."

The president referred to comments by Perry that some in the military would have more respect for him than Mr. Obama.

Palin said Obama's advice to the candidate showed "arrogance."

"I wish President Obama would stay focused on what matters," she said in the interview. "Quit picking on other people like Rick Perry."

She continued to remain coy about her own intentions on whether she or will or won't enter the 2012 presidential sweepstakes, saying, "I am still considering it."

And Palin said she is "still listening to the debate and the discourse in the GOP line up right now and still looking for that candidate who I can put my heart and soul behind to support. If I don't see that person here in short order I would be willing to put my name forward in the name of service."

Asked what she thought about the current field, she said "I am impressed with the lineup but there is still quite a long process. There is going to be lots of comings and goings with this lineup, and I know that because I have spoken with them I know that I am not the only potential candidate still on the sidelines waiting to see how things are going to unfold."

Palin refused to name names. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, have both received a lot of renewed attention this week. "There is a bunch of them. There are a bunch of them who are doing the same thing that I am doing and that is considering the life changing impact on family decisions that have to be made before jumping in."

You can follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter @KevinBohnCNN.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. tabitoo

Yeah everyone knows the President of the United States of America should bow down too a .....I mean show respect for someone of such power. Seriously this guy scares me....Sarah's just plain looney but this other guy is really scary like from one of the classic Damien antichrist movies. Don't forget there is no such thing as global warming it's just a little hotter than usual. The polar ice caps are not really melting. Don't worry about the rash of floods and tornados....it's all just your imagination. The scietists don't know what they're talking about. "BUY GAS"! This add was paid for by Cheney incorporated and the oil wells of Texas oh yeah and the terrorists. Just say no to solar and wind power...because it's difficult to get rich off of that.

August 19, 2011 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  2. Republicans elect and attract the not so smart

This woman is the epitomy of ineptitude, if one were looking at leadership skillls and intellect alone. Of course, her followers are simply knuckle dragging, mouth-breathers anyway, so its a match made in heaven I would have to say,,,a fool and their money are soon parted.

August 19, 2011 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  3. tabitoo

Everyone wants to blame the president for no jobs when the corporations who are getting tax breaks have been making more profits than ever in history yet they aren't hiring people. Beacuse they know that some will lay the blame with the President rather than the corporations despite their huge profits and still refusing to hire Americans and are instead outsourcing to India, China and Mexico for their needs because of the cheaper labor therefore even more profits. Remember corporations are people too...at least some want them to be except when they break the law. Because a corporation can't go to jail can it even if its stealing your money...by knowingly making the stock markets fall by lying and giving an undeserved credit rating to our United States of America!

August 19, 2011 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  4. joe cool

longest 15 minutes I have ever seen...is she in the matrix? she's definitely NOT the one

August 19, 2011 02:41 am at 2:41 am |
  5. joe cool

someone give me a pin so i can let the air out of her head. they talk about obama 'cuz they have no answers themselves

August 19, 2011 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  6. Dave

This woman is literally insane.

August 19, 2011 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  7. lorenzo

Perry and Palin: Dumb and Dumber

August 19, 2011 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  8. CellarRat

This is why it makes me so sad that these are the best female candidates/public representatives we have to offer. Where are the Shirley Chisolms, the Ann Richards and the Hillary Clintons (candidates, not Secretaries of State) when we need them? If all that the tea baggers have to offer up are vapid brainless idiots like Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann or Christine O'Donnell it's no wonder why the United States lags behind the rest of the world in having women leaders in power. God help us if these narrow minded sock puppets are the best we can offer in terms of female candidates.

August 19, 2011 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  9. evasp

Would people please stop with all of their stupid typos and invented spelling? They are very distracting!

August 19, 2011 03:09 am at 3:09 am |
  10. CheeseSteak

Marketing baby. That's the name of the game. Keep your brand bright in the face of your base. Palin's base are sub-70 IQ, chain-smoking turds from your dog's anus, and she wants to keep them fired up.

August 19, 2011 03:15 am at 3:15 am |
  11. coomback

coming from a grifting unemployed lying cowardly secessionist

August 19, 2011 03:18 am at 3:18 am |
  12. Sterling

So what message should we take from you, Sarah? What message to we take from a governor who bails out of governing a prosperous state because she can't take media scrutiny? What should we think of someone who calls the President "arrogant" yet thinks she's still qualified to be President after buckling under such minor setbacks? What should we think of someone who champions the cries of "treason" of a man who has called for his state to secede? Is there any message left that we should take from you, Sarah, besides just how desperate the news media are to fill time?

August 19, 2011 03:26 am at 3:26 am |
  13. Dave

Bush read MY PET GOAT while the towers were bombed. Sarah? Hello? What do you think of that?? .. oh yeah, then he went on a vacation

August 19, 2011 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  14. qwerty1

Vacations are for liberal scum.

A true conservative American knows the best way to show leadership is to flat out quit before their term is even over.

August 19, 2011 04:17 am at 4:17 am |
  15. Chris

Why in God's name does CNN continue to follow the opinions of a has-been and Fox commentator? She's not even a politician and her opinions are no better (certainly no more accurate) than the random person off the street. Time to let a has-been be a has-been. Quit promoting the ideals and opinions of community college-educated, failed politicians. How did that movie do that she bankrolled? That says everything you need to know about a woman who is unqualified to run a McDonald's let alone a city, state or nation.

August 19, 2011 04:20 am at 4:20 am |
  16. whobear28

whatever this thing is. she couldn't even keep track of her teenage pregnant daughter, couldn't finish her job as governor because of shady actions to date, now how somebody like this even gets a stage, she should be arrested and thrown in jail for treason. our president, no matter what party u involved with. I really didn't like bush , but he was our president, and I would like to think he had our best interest at heart.. now I do like president obama, if we could just let him do his job, tear down these roadblocks, obama could quite possibly be our best president ever....

August 19, 2011 04:20 am at 4:20 am |
  17. daddyofjas

Funny. I don't seem to hear this nut complaining about all her Tea Party buddies being on vacation for a month. The President has the toughest job there is regardless of party and I doubt he is just sitting around watching TV. If she is so concerned about the president taking time off then why doesn't she try to get her buddies to get back to work? Not that it matters, no one from Congress does anything even when they are at work.

August 19, 2011 04:38 am at 4:38 am |
  18. Jeff

For someone who learned 2 years ago that Africa is a continent, she's sure got a lot of opinions!

August 19, 2011 04:40 am at 4:40 am |
  19. QuietStormX

Who really cares what Palin or any GOP for that matter says or thinks? Remember it was the republicans who started this with the economy. Adding to frustration!

August 19, 2011 04:47 am at 4:47 am |
  20. Kathi

I am going to just talk smack and look pretty so all these SUCKERS will give my SarahPAC money money money. Obama-bashing is my specialty, give me money money money. I don't want to be governor, because I can make more money money money Obama-bashing, writing a book about me, having a reality show about me, and acting like I care about people in an obviously phony way. PLease visit SarahPAC website and give me money money money. Check out http://www.opensecrets.org Sarah Palin as a possible candidate will make millions and spend millions just this year. That is how a box of rocks is actually making wise financial decisions. SUCKERS!

August 19, 2011 04:50 am at 4:50 am |
  21. Craig from Pa.

Okay Sarah, What about all the Congress being on vacation too?...Shouldn't they be doing their jobs instead of vacationing? Lord knows they don't work much anyway, but you have nothing to say there? How about "W"?? He took more time off than any president in recent history!! And finally dear, what are your solutions to all of these problems?? I have yet to hear any solutions from you, only criticism! What would you do to make everything better??? We want to know your solutions!! Come on speak up I want to know.

August 19, 2011 05:16 am at 5:16 am |
  22. Andrew

Says the quitter...

August 19, 2011 05:26 am at 5:26 am |
  23. DebbiefromVA

What is the point of this article other than to give the liberals material to spew their venom?

August 19, 2011 05:51 am at 5:51 am |
  24. Not fooled

What does this woman stand for? All she does is crticize people but she has no substance. Does she really think we need a commander- in -chief that can't make up her mind? Ridiculus.

August 19, 2011 05:55 am at 5:55 am |
  25. Nancy

If the Media stopped covering her, we wouldn't even know about her wild, uniformed and meaningless statements. She's just a showboater lining her pockets with $$$$$. I'm sure McCain regrets the day he gave her recognition!!!!!

August 19, 2011 06:00 am at 6:00 am |