Palin: Obama 'very tone deaf' with vacation
August 18th, 2011

Palin: Obama 'very tone deaf' with vacation

Washington (CNN) - While the White House is still working on the jobs proposal the President will put forth in early September, former Republican Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin has already drawn some conclusions.

Saying it will be based on his past record which she said has failed to spur growth, Palin called the upcoming plan a "third stimulus" program and said it will be counterproductive to the president's aims of creating jobs.

"Unfortunately he is of that mindset of incurring more debt will get us out of debt," Palin, a paid contributor to Fox News, said in an interview on that network on Thursday.

While administration officials have said there will be new spending proposed as part of his initiative next month, they said any of that additional cost will be offset by deficit reduction that is included in the plan put forth by the special congressional super committee.

On the president's vacation to the resort island of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts beginning Thursday, Palin said Obama is "very, very tone deaf" for continuing with his vacation because of economic problems facing the country.

Asked if he should go, Palin responded "I wouldn't if I were he, especially to Martha's Vineyard," and added, "I think he will hear from enough Americans that he will come back early."

Known for her criticism of the media coverage she received during the 2008 campaign, Palin on Thursday did not join in with those who lambasted the cover of Newsweek magazine earlier this month as being sexist when it showed an unflattering picture of presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann with the title "Queen of Rage."

"Every candidate is going to be vetted. I think now so more than ever because we learned a lesson with electing a president who was not vetted by the mainstream media, and you know we are now asking what did we get out of that," she said in the interview.

"I think there is going to be a lot of vetting, and some will interpret that because a female candidate will be vetted the same as a man even more so as being sexist. I don't know if I would characterize as being sexist. I would just characterize it as the new normal. I think it is quite healthy," she said.

Regarding an issue that dominated much of the campaign conversation this week she complimented her former gubernatorial colleague and current presidential candidate Rick Perry for some of his criticism of the Federal Reserve. She was not specifically asked if he went too far in saying some of the actions of its chairman Ben Bernanke could be considered treasonous. She has criticized some of the Fed's actions in the past to prop up the economy.

"More power to Rick Perry for calling it the way he saw it," Palin said Thursday.

She said she agreed with some analysts that President Obama elevated Gov. Perry by responding to a question about the governor. The president told CNN's Wolf Blitzer earlier this week, "I'll cut him some slack. He's only been at it for a few days now."

The president referred to comments by Perry that some in the military would have more respect for him than Mr. Obama.

Palin said Obama's advice to the candidate showed "arrogance."

"I wish President Obama would stay focused on what matters," she said in the interview. "Quit picking on other people like Rick Perry."

She continued to remain coy about her own intentions on whether she or will or won't enter the 2012 presidential sweepstakes, saying, "I am still considering it."

And Palin said she is "still listening to the debate and the discourse in the GOP line up right now and still looking for that candidate who I can put my heart and soul behind to support. If I don't see that person here in short order I would be willing to put my name forward in the name of service."

Asked what she thought about the current field, she said "I am impressed with the lineup but there is still quite a long process. There is going to be lots of comings and goings with this lineup, and I know that because I have spoken with them I know that I am not the only potential candidate still on the sidelines waiting to see how things are going to unfold."

Palin refused to name names. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, have both received a lot of renewed attention this week. "There is a bunch of them. There are a bunch of them who are doing the same thing that I am doing and that is considering the life changing impact on family decisions that have to be made before jumping in."

You can follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter @KevinBohnCNN.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. JohnJ

Sarah Palin is a like a two-headed goat at the county fair that you've seen too many times. The novelty has worn off, and she's really quite repellent.

August 19, 2011 06:10 am at 6:10 am |
  2. AndrewsAFB

Palin is the equivalent of political herpes. I have to admit reading about her antics is rather amuzing.

August 19, 2011 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  3. Geoz

Whatevs.

August 19, 2011 06:24 am at 6:24 am |
  4. cm

I would like to see Bristol have a baby by a black man.

August 19, 2011 06:30 am at 6:30 am |
  5. regertz

Geesh Quitter, the man has gone grey from his labors these past few and has no multi-million dollar estate to duck away to. I want him to take a vacation, he's earnt it. As for you, Quitter from Alaska, you ran out on your job for reasons that sure seemed unbelievable to me...You and your friends W and co are hardly noteworthy for 24/7 work.

August 19, 2011 06:31 am at 6:31 am |
  6. Cj

This from someone who quit her job to promote her own celebrity status. Bush (W) took over 3 times the amount of vacation Obama is taking and during times when the debt grew exponentially, wars were initiated and while Wall Street ran rampant leading to the crushing of the econmy. Too bad the media continues to give Palin so much coverage as her credibility is non-existant. Where is the real news?

August 19, 2011 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  7. MOP

Her brain is on permanent vacation and she doesn't know it.

August 19, 2011 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  8. clarke

I am so tired of her sound bites. I could of done the same interview, with a positive spin. The American people are getting tired of the same old story and sound bites but just a different title.

August 19, 2011 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  9. Otter

She realizes it's not a real vacation, right? I mean, he'll relax, go horseback riding or sailing or whatever, but when he gets back to where he's staying he'll have people there waiting to update him and advising him of actions he might need to address more immediately.

And Palin either needs to commit to running or shut up. At some point everyone else is going to realize she's nothing but a mouthpiece who doesn't really have any ideas, and just criticizes Dems. She's not a politician unless she's running or in office. She doesn't have a talk show, and she doesn't write a series of GOP propaganda books, she's nothing but a poster girl, and poster girls don't stick around forever...

August 19, 2011 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  10. Marcus

Palin's whole political career is a vacation

August 19, 2011 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  11. tafugate

obama is on vacation and palin is out to lunch. they're even.

August 19, 2011 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  12. She's lacking brain cells

SP will never run for president. She could not handle the pay cut, the work hours or length of a term.. or in her case, a half term.

August 19, 2011 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  13. barbequebob

Bush 2 took more vacation days than Obama has, but that was never a problem for Republicans, just like the deficit and budget were not a problem for Republicans during the Bush administration.

Truth is, Republicans have no solutions or policies to offer (other than cut taxes for the rich and get rid of regulation to protect heath, safety, and the environment) and spend their time simply attacking Obama over trivial things and preventing any meaningful progress on cleaning up the mess that they and Bush created.

August 19, 2011 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  14. ptown

YAWN!!!!! dont you have anything else to say loudmouth? critizing the president is getting old.. Dont you have a bear to chase

August 19, 2011 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  15. Jason B.

Yeah, cause you know, she's an expert on foreign policy, creating jobs, and the economy. Say Palin...my state is run (for years and years) by the GOP and yet we're not swimming in jobs. Care to explain that?

August 19, 2011 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  16. NoCommentCNN

Folks the root cause of this comes down to campaign finance laws.
    The people rights for fair representation are being undermined by large campaign donators who pick and choose who will be our representatives. The two major parties pick and finance who they wish to run for office to represent you. Along with that the two major parties allow anyone or any business to contribute an unlimited amount of money to promote your representative's election.
    Why should a billionaire from one state have the right to give money to a candidate in another state? The same goes for corporations, unions, special interest groups, PACs and lobbyists, why should they be allowed to pick and finance your elected representation when they do not even live in your community?
    "We the People" need to have the power of our votes count again without the influence of the wealthy, special interests, PACs, unions and corporate money that cheats the voters of having a true choice.
    I say that NO money can come from anyone other than individuals who live within the voter district the candidate wishes to represent. And those donations need to be restricted to a set maximum level so Billionaires do not pick and choose the winners.

August 19, 2011 07:13 am at 7:13 am |
  17. CMS

Better to be tone deaf than brain dead.

August 19, 2011 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  18. Carramea

I consider her dirt under my fingernails. At this point in time Bush had taken 180 vacation days. Reagan 112 and Obama 62. This harpie has no solution for anything. I barely can tolerate her face which I find unattractive. There is nothing worse than a Christian Hypocrite . Go back to the rock you crawled from Sarah. Your opinion means nothing to the vast majority of us .

August 19, 2011 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  19. bigwilliestyles

I think both Palin and Bachmann have jungle fever for Obama.Put them in a private room with him for a day and they would emerge docile and compliant, the only debate being who gets him next.

August 19, 2011 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  20. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Elections have consequences. Presidents vacation whenever they want. Get over it wingnuts. Snookie Palin wants Bachmann's money and media attention since her movie bombed bigtime.

August 19, 2011 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  21. Carramea

Sarah congrats on being a grandma. Another child conceived by your son now out of wedlock. Quite a track record of waiting till marriage with the so called Christian Family of yours 2 for 2.... Is it Willows turn next

August 19, 2011 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  22. Get Over Yourself

I can't wait until Larry Flint Offers her a 'spread' in his magazine! Please Sarah, take it!

August 19, 2011 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  23. Jan

Hmm...just wondering if palin is equally outraged with the members of congress, you know the folks that actually develop and write legislation for also being on vacation?

Coming from someone that quit her elected position, the response to ms palin should actually be... BWAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

August 19, 2011 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  24. LLOYD ROBERTS

Every time she uses a word many times, that means she learned a new word. During the 2008 campaign, the word was maverick. She would use it constantly, hey Sarah, wud you have for breakfast, "oh, just havin' a maverick breakfast". Now the new word is vetted, she used about 16 times. If she knew what it meant she would know that Senator McCain certainly didn't do his vetting.

August 19, 2011 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  25. Mark

It's funny how class warfare is only wielded against Republicans. Martha's Vineyard is such a pinkie waving place to vacation, but no one mutters a word about the rich or 'hob nobbing' when Obama vacations there. But I bet you that people would be crying havoc if a Republican regularly vacationed there; he or she would be billed as being 'out of touch' with the average American...

August 19, 2011 07:26 am at 7:26 am |