Palin: Obama 'very tone deaf' with vacation
August 18th, 2011

Palin: Obama 'very tone deaf' with vacation

Washington (CNN) - While the White House is still working on the jobs proposal the President will put forth in early September, former Republican Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin has already drawn some conclusions.

Saying it will be based on his past record which she said has failed to spur growth, Palin called the upcoming plan a "third stimulus" program and said it will be counterproductive to the president's aims of creating jobs.

"Unfortunately he is of that mindset of incurring more debt will get us out of debt," Palin, a paid contributor to Fox News, said in an interview on that network on Thursday.

While administration officials have said there will be new spending proposed as part of his initiative next month, they said any of that additional cost will be offset by deficit reduction that is included in the plan put forth by the special congressional super committee.

On the president's vacation to the resort island of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts beginning Thursday, Palin said Obama is "very, very tone deaf" for continuing with his vacation because of economic problems facing the country.

Asked if he should go, Palin responded "I wouldn't if I were he, especially to Martha's Vineyard," and added, "I think he will hear from enough Americans that he will come back early."

Known for her criticism of the media coverage she received during the 2008 campaign, Palin on Thursday did not join in with those who lambasted the cover of Newsweek magazine earlier this month as being sexist when it showed an unflattering picture of presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann with the title "Queen of Rage."

"Every candidate is going to be vetted. I think now so more than ever because we learned a lesson with electing a president who was not vetted by the mainstream media, and you know we are now asking what did we get out of that," she said in the interview.

"I think there is going to be a lot of vetting, and some will interpret that because a female candidate will be vetted the same as a man even more so as being sexist. I don't know if I would characterize as being sexist. I would just characterize it as the new normal. I think it is quite healthy," she said.

Regarding an issue that dominated much of the campaign conversation this week she complimented her former gubernatorial colleague and current presidential candidate Rick Perry for some of his criticism of the Federal Reserve. She was not specifically asked if he went too far in saying some of the actions of its chairman Ben Bernanke could be considered treasonous. She has criticized some of the Fed's actions in the past to prop up the economy.

"More power to Rick Perry for calling it the way he saw it," Palin said Thursday.

She said she agreed with some analysts that President Obama elevated Gov. Perry by responding to a question about the governor. The president told CNN's Wolf Blitzer earlier this week, "I'll cut him some slack. He's only been at it for a few days now."

The president referred to comments by Perry that some in the military would have more respect for him than Mr. Obama.

Palin said Obama's advice to the candidate showed "arrogance."

"I wish President Obama would stay focused on what matters," she said in the interview. "Quit picking on other people like Rick Perry."

She continued to remain coy about her own intentions on whether she or will or won't enter the 2012 presidential sweepstakes, saying, "I am still considering it."

And Palin said she is "still listening to the debate and the discourse in the GOP line up right now and still looking for that candidate who I can put my heart and soul behind to support. If I don't see that person here in short order I would be willing to put my name forward in the name of service."

Asked what she thought about the current field, she said "I am impressed with the lineup but there is still quite a long process. There is going to be lots of comings and goings with this lineup, and I know that because I have spoken with them I know that I am not the only potential candidate still on the sidelines waiting to see how things are going to unfold."

Palin refused to name names. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, have both received a lot of renewed attention this week. "There is a bunch of them. There are a bunch of them who are doing the same thing that I am doing and that is considering the life changing impact on family decisions that have to be made before jumping in."

You can follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter @KevinBohnCNN.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. ohsnap

The sad thing about Palin is that there are people who actually think she is qualified to be President. I have wracked my brain trying to understand this but I cannot. The President is NEVER on vacation like you or me. He may not be in the WH but he is tied in...EVERY second of EVERY day he is in office. And after the debacle of the Tea Party and Republicans over the last few weeks he DESERVES a break (where the rest of Congress is BTW).

August 19, 2011 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  2. pdaddy

Palin offers no insight or solution. She throws rocks and and then runs for cover.

August 19, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  3. SarahNotSoSmart

Shes been on vacation since 2008.

August 19, 2011 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  4. Rhonda

Get over yourself, Palin!! We are sick and tired of hearing your grating voice and seeing your ridiculous animated face. Trust me, you're not as cute as you seem to think you are. From someone who has always claimed that family comes first, I find it hypocritical (surprise, surprise) for you to criticize the President for taking some time with his family for some down time. If anyone in the country deserves a breather, its the most dedicated politician in the country. It's so easy to point fingers and criticize someone else's decisions and actions when you're not in their shoes. And thank god you're not in his shoes ...

August 19, 2011 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  5. Byrd

Sorry, Sarah, but the shrill, high-pitched squeal of your obnoxious, uninformed voice drowns out everything.

August 19, 2011 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  6. blf83

If the President is tone deaf, which he is not, appalling Sarah would be congenitally deaf, blind, and mute. On the other hand, she needs a mute button.

August 19, 2011 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  7. David

I wish Palin, Bachman, and ODonnell would look to Condaleezza and Hillary and see what strong and intelligent women are. These three clowns are ridiculous. Larry, Curly, and Mo....

August 19, 2011 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  8. clarke

She is like the busy body next door. Does nothing but put her nose in everyones bussiness, Always thinks she has all the answers, talk is cheap. I really do not like her style, there is no true substance in anything she has to say. I don't think she is a very bright women at all.

August 19, 2011 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  9. Rob

It seems a bit strange that the 'new spending' from this 3rd stimulus plan will be 'offset' by deficit reduction from the super committee. Doesn't that mean that there will actually be no deficit reduction? Is this the fuzzy math that bush sr. talked about? Good grief people, please get the message and stop your spending.

August 19, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  10. Voiceinthewind

Someone should give Pale-in access to a brain for a little while and then make her read some of the idiotc statements she has made so she can see just how dumb she is. I am sure she would be so embarassed she would crawl back into her igloo and hide.

August 19, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  11. Damian

Would someone just stuff a sock in this idiots mouth once and for all? If Obama is tone deaf then what is her excuse? Every time she opens her illiterate mouth I am more adn more convinced that she got her brain out of the Young Frankenstein lab.....Abbey Normal.

August 19, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  12. Zious

Everyone has a right to go on vacation and so does the President. But there's a time for everything. You don't go on vacation or throw a party when you have had a death in your family. The situation is extremely bad in America and for millions of Americans and the President who is the top public figure (which he chose to be) is wrong to go on this vacation. The country is in pain, the people are out of jobs, the markets are tanking 500 points a day, the crisis around the world is getting worse by the day and guess what the President does, goes on a vacation. Having failed to do anything to bring the country back on its feet from the doldrums it has been in despite 3 yrs in office, going on a vacation at the most crucial time is a slap to the people on their faces. This President needs to be thrown out of office and sent on a permanent vacation.

August 19, 2011 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  13. Sylvia Fouty

This woman makes me wish I was wealthy enough to either pay for her sex change operation or for mine. She is an embarassment to the female gender. Funny how 'publicans can take a vacation but not the president.

August 19, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  14. Bibi5

Like driving around the country criticizing everything and everyone is helping the country. She won't even be honest as to why she is doing it, yet finds the need to begrudge the president and his family a vacation. Go back to Alaska and stay there.

August 19, 2011 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  15. javier

Why is this half governor still around? Pity the fools who think she has any credibility!

August 19, 2011 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  16. V in Chicago

----------
    No, Sarah, we learned a lesson because you were unleashed on to the public and we haven't been able to get rid of you yet. That was the mistake and that is what we got from the process of vetting not being done properly. We won't make that mistake again. Your clone, Ms. Bachmann is already a laughing stock of the Country – following right in your footsteps.

August 19, 2011 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  17. Jeff

All of Washington is on vacation. So do they expect the Prez to sit there in Washington alone while the Senate and Congress are not there?

August 19, 2011 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  18. Deep North

Did this woman actually call someone "Tone Deaf"? Amazing!

August 19, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  19. Ron

Sarah.....aren't you on vacation from the people that trusted you enough to vote for you only to have you disregard that trust? and resign...folks that live in glass houses should not throw stones....You know you should stay right where you are so I can call the nearest vilage and tell them I found an idiot for them....

August 19, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  20. Kristy

"And Palin said she is "still listening to the debate and the discourse in the GOP line up right now and still looking for that candidate who I can put my heart and soul behind to support."

Hey Sarah Palin, how about using your HEAD to make decisions sometimes?

August 19, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  21. edpeters101

I gotta think the GOP pays her to make "Flake", "Weird", and "Never met a lie that I couldn't repeat", look like they have a brain.

August 19, 2011 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  22. Tony

This unemployed chick sure likes talking a lot.

August 19, 2011 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  23. Carol Wolfendale

We need a vacation from this person. The only thing she has to say is not constructive and down right foolish. She is the ultimate party crasher. Whenever there is something scheduled, she feels the need to interject her TWO CENTS WORTH AND BELIEVE ME THAT IS ALL ITS WORTH.

August 19, 2011 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  24. Stephen Swain

This woman is such a dunce! What puzzles me is why she gets any coverage whatsoever. She has nothing of relevance to say. That may be because she has no thoughts deep enough to be worth saying. That could explain it. But who cares? She is just an over-hyped dunce whose only real talent seems to be self-promotion.

August 19, 2011 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  25. demogal

Palin's brain frequently goes on vacation while her mouth continues to "work."

August 19, 2011 09:47 am at 9:47 am |