Palin: Obama 'very tone deaf' with vacation
August 18th, 2011

Palin: Obama 'very tone deaf' with vacation

Washington (CNN) - While the White House is still working on the jobs proposal the President will put forth in early September, former Republican Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin has already drawn some conclusions.

Saying it will be based on his past record which she said has failed to spur growth, Palin called the upcoming plan a "third stimulus" program and said it will be counterproductive to the president's aims of creating jobs.

"Unfortunately he is of that mindset of incurring more debt will get us out of debt," Palin, a paid contributor to Fox News, said in an interview on that network on Thursday.

While administration officials have said there will be new spending proposed as part of his initiative next month, they said any of that additional cost will be offset by deficit reduction that is included in the plan put forth by the special congressional super committee.

On the president's vacation to the resort island of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts beginning Thursday, Palin said Obama is "very, very tone deaf" for continuing with his vacation because of economic problems facing the country.

Asked if he should go, Palin responded "I wouldn't if I were he, especially to Martha's Vineyard," and added, "I think he will hear from enough Americans that he will come back early."

Known for her criticism of the media coverage she received during the 2008 campaign, Palin on Thursday did not join in with those who lambasted the cover of Newsweek magazine earlier this month as being sexist when it showed an unflattering picture of presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann with the title "Queen of Rage."

"Every candidate is going to be vetted. I think now so more than ever because we learned a lesson with electing a president who was not vetted by the mainstream media, and you know we are now asking what did we get out of that," she said in the interview.

"I think there is going to be a lot of vetting, and some will interpret that because a female candidate will be vetted the same as a man even more so as being sexist. I don't know if I would characterize as being sexist. I would just characterize it as the new normal. I think it is quite healthy," she said.

Regarding an issue that dominated much of the campaign conversation this week she complimented her former gubernatorial colleague and current presidential candidate Rick Perry for some of his criticism of the Federal Reserve. She was not specifically asked if he went too far in saying some of the actions of its chairman Ben Bernanke could be considered treasonous. She has criticized some of the Fed's actions in the past to prop up the economy.

"More power to Rick Perry for calling it the way he saw it," Palin said Thursday.

She said she agreed with some analysts that President Obama elevated Gov. Perry by responding to a question about the governor. The president told CNN's Wolf Blitzer earlier this week, "I'll cut him some slack. He's only been at it for a few days now."

The president referred to comments by Perry that some in the military would have more respect for him than Mr. Obama.

Palin said Obama's advice to the candidate showed "arrogance."

"I wish President Obama would stay focused on what matters," she said in the interview. "Quit picking on other people like Rick Perry."

She continued to remain coy about her own intentions on whether she or will or won't enter the 2012 presidential sweepstakes, saying, "I am still considering it."

And Palin said she is "still listening to the debate and the discourse in the GOP line up right now and still looking for that candidate who I can put my heart and soul behind to support. If I don't see that person here in short order I would be willing to put my name forward in the name of service."

Asked what she thought about the current field, she said "I am impressed with the lineup but there is still quite a long process. There is going to be lots of comings and goings with this lineup, and I know that because I have spoken with them I know that I am not the only potential candidate still on the sidelines waiting to see how things are going to unfold."

Palin refused to name names. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, have both received a lot of renewed attention this week. "There is a bunch of them. There are a bunch of them who are doing the same thing that I am doing and that is considering the life changing impact on family decisions that have to be made before jumping in."

You can follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter @KevinBohnCNN.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. Matt

This is Palinese for "PLEASE! PLEASE look at me. I'm over HERE!

August 18, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  2. John in Brooklyn

And yet she was silent when G.W. Bush was on vacation for months at a time at the same time we had our brave men and women in two simultaneously at wars.

August 18, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. Indy

She is gthe strongest woman in this Nation and America needs her now. I can see the greatest duo of all times in Perry and Palin. As President and VP, not necessarily in that order. Of course this site will be filled with sarcastic remarks of the idiots who support Obama. Don't pay them any attention they're still as dumb as the first ones who came here. Let their one sentence remarks they've made many times before fall on deaf ears. No one gives a damn what they think. For three years we have seen their idologyical failings.

You don't have to be an Obama supporter to know Palin is useless, that why 97% of the country would never vote for the one that quits her elected position to go on permanent vacation

August 18, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Played out.

August 18, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  5. Madtown

Finally!! CNN hasn't run a $arah Palin story in a few days now, it's about time! My garbage day is on Tuesday, but apparently CNN's is on Thursday.

August 18, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  6. GOP hates Middle Class

Oh $arah, since you have so much pull, be a dear and go fetch Boner from the course (look in the clubhouse - by the bar) and tell him to get his orange backside back to work would ya, you betcha.

August 18, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  7. fayse

Anyone that seriously thinks that Palin, Perry or Bachmann is the answer to anything, please google the Dominationist and any of these three. All three of these religious fanatics are dangerous to America. I believe that everyone has the right to worship in the way that they choose but this bunch wants to create a World with ONE religion, theirs.

August 18, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  8. John in Brooklyn

To Real Tom Paine...if what you want is a president who says he doesn't believe in evolution and a vice president who can't tell you what magazines she reads.....go for it.

August 18, 2011 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  9. Silence Dogood

Bush spent most of his presidency vacationing on his ranch and cutting brush. Boehner is also currently on vacation.

Palin needs a job. Preening for cameras is not a career.

August 18, 2011 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  10. Indy

The Republican Flash Mob of Lies and Hate Tour continues with the Queen of Vacations and bus tours

August 18, 2011 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  11. ConservaFASCISTS/TEAliban/TEAhadists

Silly Sarah needs to take a permanent vacation in 3rd grade.

August 18, 2011 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  12. Sue

Obama says "eat your hotdogs and beans--errr, eat your peas.......Michelle and I will be partying and eating shrimp/caviar with the rich and famous FAT CATS in Martha's Vineyard.......But, hey.....Don't forget, I care about what you are going through-I really do.

I know that you could not take a vacation this year-–maybe not even last year.........But, I know that you want me to have another vacation. After all, it has been 2 months since I was in Ireland!!"

Go to this site.....It is hilarious........obamagetaway

August 18, 2011 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. Blame Not Working

Obambi is simply playing "dodge & scoot"...... When he comes back after Labor Day, he will make another speech offering his "jobs plan" which WILL be another Stimulus.....probably more than a Trillion$....of course he knows that will never fly, but that will not be his motive behind such a move....it is simply a political ploy from the Obambi camp, as they have no record to run on, they need to be able to blame Republicans or blocking his plan to help.
    Republican Congressmen should just vote " present" & not vote for or against such a stupid move & cause Obambi to "eat" the entire Economic mess in this country! This President has been way over his head for a long long time.....blame is not working!

August 18, 2011 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  14. Bob S Philadelphia, Pa

NOBAMA is so worried about putting the American people to work that he sent his bus to be built in CANADA !!! So much for putting Americans to work. And while the country is in ECONOMIC termoil he decides to fly his plane at the cost of $375K on the backs of the American people to marthas vineyard again on the backs of the American people he is so DETACHED from the American people thats why he will be a 1 term KING OOPPSS I MEAN PRESIDENT

August 18, 2011 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  15. NVa Native

Simple people look at things in simple ways – is Palin so pathetic to think our President can turn everything off and say “no calls today”? That Obama can’t multi-task and isn’t expected too? My wife frowns when I take a call or email during dinner – think what Michele Obama has to put up with?!
    Palin couldn't even handle four years as Governor, she quit half way through, and Alaska is a pretty laid back state and she wants to criticize our President who's dealing with all the wreckage of Bush's eight years – oh that's right she's a tea-bagger. Double (or no) standards are the norm. “I want to keep my govt. healthcare, but you don’t deserve any.”

August 18, 2011 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  16. southillspgh

@lbamaliar Are you familiar with the grammatical term 'improper antecedent'? You should look it up. I also find it amazing that one who is so clearly devoid of intellectual acuity finds it perfectly acceptable call in to question the smarts of someone else. Oh, and one more thing, I believe you meant to say 'ideoligical' not 'idologyical' the latter is not actually a word.

August 18, 2011 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  17. Stacey

Shut the heck up dumb Sarah Palin! Obama could care less what a dolt like you has to say. I notice as usual you have no ideas on how to move the nation forward. You and the entire batch of GOP lunatics won't beat Obama in 2012, no matter how much poison and hate you try to spread. Your so-called followers are idiots for making you rich for no reason at all. You're a coward Sarah! Why don't you run for POTUS?

August 18, 2011 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  18. NoTags

Where does the GOP find dingbats like Palin, Bachmann and Haley? Do they nest together somewhere?

August 18, 2011 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  19. Dave

And who cares what this idiot thinks?

August 18, 2011 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  20. southillspgh

Are the Tea Party members of congress hard at work in Washington? Oh wait, that's right, shortly after pushing our country to the brink of economic default, they decided a 5 week vacation was in order.

August 18, 2011 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  21. Steffani

"She is gthe strongest woman in this Nation and America needs her now."

LOL! Nah – but she sure is the dumbest.

August 18, 2011 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  22. Bob S Philadelphia, Pa

NVa Native is a typical NOBAMAITE who just refuses to hold NOBAMA accountable for anything he says or does ..........just keep drinking the KOOL – AIDE and thing will keep looking rosey and bright and if that doesn't work eat his DOGFOOD

August 18, 2011 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. Sandy

I think Palin has a crush on the President. She just can't stop talking about him and he just continues to ignore her like she doesn't exist. LOL

August 18, 2011 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  24. southillspgh

Sarah Palin is, by her own decree, a 'Rogue'. According to Webster's a Rogue is 1) A vagrant a tramp 2) A dishonest worthless person
    SO, why, if she considers herself a Rogue, are folks still giving weight to her words?

August 18, 2011 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  25. JT in Atlanta

Obama on vacation. This is really good news. Is there any way we can keep him on vacation for another 6 months or so? Things might start to turn around. At least we'll know he isn't do more damage.

August 18, 2011 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |