Palin: Obama 'very tone deaf' with vacation
August 18th, 2011

Palin: Obama 'very tone deaf' with vacation

Washington (CNN) - While the White House is still working on the jobs proposal the President will put forth in early September, former Republican Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin has already drawn some conclusions.

Saying it will be based on his past record which she said has failed to spur growth, Palin called the upcoming plan a "third stimulus" program and said it will be counterproductive to the president's aims of creating jobs.

"Unfortunately he is of that mindset of incurring more debt will get us out of debt," Palin, a paid contributor to Fox News, said in an interview on that network on Thursday.

While administration officials have said there will be new spending proposed as part of his initiative next month, they said any of that additional cost will be offset by deficit reduction that is included in the plan put forth by the special congressional super committee.

On the president's vacation to the resort island of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts beginning Thursday, Palin said Obama is "very, very tone deaf" for continuing with his vacation because of economic problems facing the country.

Asked if he should go, Palin responded "I wouldn't if I were he, especially to Martha's Vineyard," and added, "I think he will hear from enough Americans that he will come back early."

Known for her criticism of the media coverage she received during the 2008 campaign, Palin on Thursday did not join in with those who lambasted the cover of Newsweek magazine earlier this month as being sexist when it showed an unflattering picture of presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann with the title "Queen of Rage."

"Every candidate is going to be vetted. I think now so more than ever because we learned a lesson with electing a president who was not vetted by the mainstream media, and you know we are now asking what did we get out of that," she said in the interview.

"I think there is going to be a lot of vetting, and some will interpret that because a female candidate will be vetted the same as a man even more so as being sexist. I don't know if I would characterize as being sexist. I would just characterize it as the new normal. I think it is quite healthy," she said.

Regarding an issue that dominated much of the campaign conversation this week she complimented her former gubernatorial colleague and current presidential candidate Rick Perry for some of his criticism of the Federal Reserve. She was not specifically asked if he went too far in saying some of the actions of its chairman Ben Bernanke could be considered treasonous. She has criticized some of the Fed's actions in the past to prop up the economy.

"More power to Rick Perry for calling it the way he saw it," Palin said Thursday.

She said she agreed with some analysts that President Obama elevated Gov. Perry by responding to a question about the governor. The president told CNN's Wolf Blitzer earlier this week, "I'll cut him some slack. He's only been at it for a few days now."

The president referred to comments by Perry that some in the military would have more respect for him than Mr. Obama.

Palin said Obama's advice to the candidate showed "arrogance."

"I wish President Obama would stay focused on what matters," she said in the interview. "Quit picking on other people like Rick Perry."

She continued to remain coy about her own intentions on whether she or will or won't enter the 2012 presidential sweepstakes, saying, "I am still considering it."

And Palin said she is "still listening to the debate and the discourse in the GOP line up right now and still looking for that candidate who I can put my heart and soul behind to support. If I don't see that person here in short order I would be willing to put my name forward in the name of service."

Asked what she thought about the current field, she said "I am impressed with the lineup but there is still quite a long process. There is going to be lots of comings and goings with this lineup, and I know that because I have spoken with them I know that I am not the only potential candidate still on the sidelines waiting to see how things are going to unfold."

Palin refused to name names. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, have both received a lot of renewed attention this week. "There is a bunch of them. There are a bunch of them who are doing the same thing that I am doing and that is considering the life changing impact on family decisions that have to be made before jumping in."

You can follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter @KevinBohnCNN.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. Voice of Reason

That's right, its a "Vacation". Regardless of the fact that there will still be 12 Secret Servicemen within 15 feet of him while he sleeps at night. Regardless of the fact that he'll have hours of daily briefings on everything going on in hte nation. Regarless of the fact that he'll spend only a few hours a day with his family and the rest of the time with advisors and aides.

Yeah – its a "vacation" all right. Now Sarah, can you please stop the screeching and constant inane twittering for just a few minutes, and maybe think up something original? Maybe then you'd be able to stop talking about Obama for a few minutes and talk about what YOU would do.

Too bad Michelle beat you to that $2/gallon gas thing. Maybe you could suggest that everyone's houses will be paid off, and we'll all ride unicorns to work from now on...

August 18, 2011 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  2. Grandiose Old Pathetic (GOP)

Man those wrinkles are getting big on sista-Sara ~ don't let the tea-tards see that. We all know how shallow tea-tards are, and I'm not just talking about their gene pool. LOL!!

August 18, 2011 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  3. Chuck

I find this interesting, and like most everything that spews from this women's mouth to be just empty words. She has been on a vacation ever sinse she quit her job as governor. And it's all funded by her nutty followers and autograph seekers.. Oh yeah, I forgot about her job with Faux News. Now, that's a real job. She has such high credentials. Yep, she and her hillbilly family got a taste of life in the lower 48 and it's tasting pretty darn good. Five star hotels, first class travel and on private jets. How about we all quit our jobs and take off on a tour spouting our beliefs and see how far that takes us.

August 18, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  4. Sniffit

Aaaaand the dumbing down of Amurika continues unabated...

August 18, 2011 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  5. kakaraka

Are you democrats going to be silenced for these nonsense attacks from the conservative wacoos? You need to slam back. Do not give a free ride for these right wing people. React quickly to any insult, misinformation and disrespect to the President of the United States.

August 18, 2011 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  6. Richard

Palin is very tone deaf to the fact that she is irrelevant.

August 18, 2011 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  7. Diego

CNN ought to start paying royalties to Palin for all the traffic she generates on their site. That aside she is correct about Obama in that he is out of touch going to the Marthas Vinyard now. Pick somewhere other than a $50k/month villa. New report today that poverty has sored under the redistributor and chief.

August 18, 2011 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  8. freidamurray

I know it's not right to hate someone I've never met, but God I Hate Her!!

August 18, 2011 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  9. NVa Native

Hey Boobie in Philly ~ is that your mom I hear calling you up from the basement for a nice warm dinner of just nuked Hot Pockets? Try getting out of your PJs and getting a job, maybe you'll even get a date with that swell gal from across the street? hahahhahah .............man you are pathetic.

August 18, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  10. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

This broad is loca!

August 18, 2011 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  11. Sue

"NVa Native is a typical NOBAMAITE who just refuses to hold NOBAMA accountable for anything he says or does ..........just keep drinking the KOOL – AIDE and thing will keep looking rosey and bright and if that doesn't work eat his DOGFOOD"

Actually, they are called O-bots or Obama drones (O-drones).

August 18, 2011 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  12. gt

obama vacations ... your tax dollars at work...oh well at lease he is spending money on his many vacations ..that will help somebody to have a job.....

August 18, 2011 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. Tea Party Mike

I don't believe Obama feels America's pain when he takes yet another expensive vacation, this time at Marth's Vinyard where the filthy rich go to play.
    The message from Obama seems to be if you vote for me there will be plenty of food stamps and unemployment checks for everyone as long as I am President. And as long as I am President, you probably will not find a job, but you can count on the food stamps and unemployment checks. And my reward is I get to live high on the hog as long as I am President.

August 18, 2011 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  14. Beverly - NYC

Unlike you Miss Half Term quiter, the President is quite capable of multi-tasking. Just because he's on vacation does not mean he isn't President. Please do us all a favor shut your pie hole and mind your business. Maybe if you switched some of your focus to your children, your son Track would not have knocked his girfriend and needed a quickie shot gun wedding.

August 18, 2011 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  15. seneca

I love how people attack presidents over this. Its an easy attack with no basis in reality and no consequences for the lies. When a president of the US goes on vacation it's not like they refuse to have anything to do with thier job like the rest of us Americans. No, when they are on vacation they still answer all the phonecalls, sign all the papers and keep updated to world events. It's not like Biden is in the whitehouse cackling while signing bills into law. The President is still doing his job while on vacation and anyone who tells you otherwise is bold faced lieing.

August 18, 2011 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  16. bb

Oh, just go away. You make us all sick!

August 18, 2011 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  17. Tom

Sara,
    Any thoughts on Boehner and McConnel being gone for a month?

August 18, 2011 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  18. Tulsa

So how's that "bus tour" goin' for ya?
    Not one of the posters here works the hours our President does.
    What whiners... where you when W spent almost 3 years of his 8 year tenure on vacation?
    Sick and stupid. It's the Republican way.

August 18, 2011 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  19. vet in texas

Since she quit she has had only one job, and that has been bashing the president and the first lady.

since he lost in 2008 Romney has had only one job and that was to campaign and.......bash the president.

August 18, 2011 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  20. V in Chicago

She's baaaaaack! Here we go again. More stupid comments from the Queen of Stupid. Does this woman not get that we DO NOT WANT TO HEAR FROM HER ON ANY SUBJECT? How many times must we repeat? GO AWAY SARAH!!!

August 18, 2011 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  21. Beverly - NYC

Are the 2010 elected Tea partiers hard at work, NO they're not, in fact they are home charging their constituents $15-$20 each to have sandwiches with them. When they wanted their vote, free, free, free. Now that they are elected and beholden to Grover Norquist and whatever pledge thy've signed they can't talk to the little people for free. But Sarah PAY ME of course does not have an issue with that.

August 18, 2011 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  22. beevee

This person Palin has pig manure in place of brain in her skull. Why does the media even bother to cover her and give her free publicity? If all the media outlets join together to completely ignore her she will fade away from politics for the good of all of us.

August 18, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. AEK

President Bush spent over a year during his eight year Presidency at his ranch in Crawford, TX. Ms. Palin was probably distracted by the goings on next door in Russia at the time to notice. If I'm not mistaken, all Presidents have at least limited access to the news of the world, etc. during their vacation times. So, if I was Sister Sarah, I wouldn't worry too much about the health of our country while President Obama is out of Washington, DC.

August 18, 2011 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  24. Time to End GOPorate Greed

Nothing these tea-baggers/GOPers say in their posts makes any sense. So it's a clear indication that the verbal turd bombs that fox TV and limpball toss out are finally eating away at the brains of their followers.

August 18, 2011 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  25. Wow. Just....wow.

@ Sniffit- you almost immediately became one of my favorite posters here. Keep up the strong work.

As far as the Tea Baggers....no point in holding our breath as we wait for them to become logically congruent. It's just not in the cards. Let's also not hold our breath waiting for them to take a civics class...that will also never happen. This stuff is hard-wired and nothing that is said or done will change their minds.

For example, I was called a pansy Yankee liberal who just does around waiting for hand ours by some guy in Alabama. Alabama receives something like $1.65 in federal money for every dollar they, whereas my state of Illinois gets $0.71 for every dollar we pay. Look who's footing the bill. Hey Tea Baggers! Enjoy your handouts!

August 18, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |