Poll: Dead heat for Obama and GOP candidates
August 22nd, 2011

Poll: Dead heat for Obama and GOP candidates

(CNN) - President Barack Obama is closely matched in hypothetical head-to-heads with 2012 Republican presidential candidates, according to a poll released Monday.

The Gallup survey showed Obama within the sampling error among registered voters when pitted against Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, Ron Paul and Michele Bachmann.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney led the president 48 percent to 46 percent while Obama was tied with Texas Gov. Rick Perry at 47 percent. The president led Rep. Ron Paul of Texas by two percentage points with 47 percent and Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota with four percentage points at 48 percent.

The new figures are similar to those from a recent CNN/ORC International Poll released earlier in August, which showed Obama ahead of Perry by five percentage points, Bachmann by six percentage points and Romney by one percentage point.

Gallup surveyed 879 registered voters by phone August 17 through August 18 with a sampling error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Filed under: Polls • President Obama • Republicans
  1. WE THE PEOPLE

@Keesa, you are so right i have friends in Ohio that live in rural areas who have being saying the same thing and they are moderates republicans.

August 23, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  2. jasmine

Ridiculous poll. Extremely small sample taken during the summer. Even large sample polls taken in summer don't make a national statement.

August 23, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  3. Boo Hoo Baynor

Obama 2012.
    Again thank you for leadership in Libya. We will make things easier this time around by getting rid of the GOP/TEA.

These polls are just propaganda. Shame on you!

August 23, 2011 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  4. TOMNTEXAS

With the choices the Republicans have given us thus far, I will stick with Obama! Frankly I think he has done a decent job. No one following the mess the last administration left, would have been able to do anything more than he has. So he implemented a health plan. Its nothing that cannot be amended to work correctly! Its too late to disable the plan with the economy in the condition it is so the Republicans are just going to have to lump it! Especially if they cannot come up with better candidates than they have so far! I could go either way in this election, but so far, Obama has my vote!

August 23, 2011 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  5. NYCitizen

To all you Naysayers about a plausible GOP candidate/nominatoion: You just wait until Pataki comes out and says he's gonna run for President! He will not only blow away the GOP Presidential Hopefuls right now, but will send Obama and camp running out the door come November 2012!

August 23, 2011 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  6. NYCitizen

Oh and P.S.: I will never ever again vote anyone into any politcal office who has a voting record of "Present" and excels as Community Organizer!

Reply to LifeLongGOP: Pataki is going to run....how's that for a viable candidate? Three term Governor of NY who really did not do such a bad job, did he? Pataki is the Anti-Community-Organizer-with-a-Voting-Record-of -Present!

August 23, 2011 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  7. Kira

GOP dislikes:
    Any religion except Christian
    atheiest
    poor
    middle class
    gays
    blacks
    Latinos
    have low regard for women/ don't want them to make choices about their own body
    want to take medicare and social security away from seniors
    students b/c they want to stop funding of education
    For the record I am a 28 year old educated, successful black & Chinese woman. I am a christian and I do not believe in homosexuality or abortion BUT I DO BELIEVE IN FREE WILL. My beliefs are ONLY my beliefs. I do not believe in FORCING my beliefs and my ways on others. VOTE GOP and all of your liberties will be taken away from you.....

August 23, 2011 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  8. Darth Vadik, CA

I've said it before, I'll say it again, at this point in 2004. Kerry was leading Bush by almost 10 points.....

...and we know how that turned out....

August 23, 2011 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  9. johnathan

Too bad.

It's Obama's own doing that he'll lose. No spine to stand up to the republican terrorists, his hands-off approach led to the birth of the tea party during the healthcare debate.

He has essentially become a republican Uncle Tom. Don't be surprised if pictures of him washing and waxing the GOP leadership's limousines are published soon.

I won't support this weak-kneed fraud any longer, doesn't matter who else is running

August 23, 2011 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  10. 1mjk

My guess is that if the Republican candidates are Perry/Bachmann or Perry/Palin voters are going to run run as fast as they can to the Obama/Biden ticket. That is unless you want to face a future of no medicare, no social security and no job.

August 23, 2011 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  11. SMDH

What an absolute joke. August 17th and 18th, a Wednesday and Thursday. 879 folks who probably were NOT at work (like the majority of us), OLD, RETIRED, DISABLED, REPUBLICAN, TEA PARTIERS, etc. Need I go on? However I do agree that there is a large (not all) percentage of voters against Obama that would rather vote for a rock. NOT because of his abilities as a president, but because of the way he was born. I love how the true colors of America has began to show true.

August 23, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  12. Jess C

@Sniffit: You are someone who does your research and sets things straight on these forums. Thanks for that; you are appreciated by those who deal in facts. One other compelling quote I saw here: "Science flies to the moon; religion flies into buildings". Damn these stupid polls; I'll stick with the party that supports science over religion any day!

August 23, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  13. Shame

August 23, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  14. Malory Archer

Dean wrote:
    "If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove that you weren't a racist you will now have to vote for someone else in 2012 to prove that you aren't an idiot."

I don't know anyone who voted for President Obama to prove that they weren't a racist, but I know plenty of people who DIDN'T vote for him due to his race – my mom included! Her argument was that if she voted for him and he got elected, she didn't want it weighing on her conscience if someone followed thru on one of the many threats against him.

Additionally, had Hillary gotten the nomination, the rethugliban planned to run Colin Powell as McCain's running mate, then call the dems racists for not voting for them. I used to have a great deal of respect for the General, but after he sold his soul to the rethugliban and lied thru his teeth about WMDs in Iraq, I am unable to respect him or take him seriously again.

To the CNN message thread moderator: I'm sorry that the truth is so painful for you that you have to delete this message as soon as it's posted. The sooner you accept the painful truth, the sooner you can begin to heal.

August 23, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  15. Tea Party Mike

This poll is great news for America. This nation can not take 4 more years of Obama's failed policies. Four Republican candidates with a very real shot at defeating Obama shows a very strong Republican field. The left can spew all the lies and hate they want, but this poll shows rational, intellegent, clear headed Americans are not buying what Obama and the left are selling.

August 23, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  16. Republicans - The "Not Intended To Be Factually Accurate" Party

@ Republicans Are The American Taliban wrote:

I cant understand who would choose Republican in any poll. Republicans certainly cannot get the – – 1. Hispanic vote; 2.Gay vote; 3. Black vote or; 4. Womens vote
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Republicans can't get the Straight, White, Male vote either – at least among those that use their brains to think. They are STILL the party of NO ideas – – NO solutions. Their vaunted "silver bullet" – – "tax cuts for job creators" is a very CLEAR FAILURE. We can look at the last 10 years as evidence of that. More broadly, we can look at the last 30 years and see the failure of "trickle down economics". What working, thinking, [non-birther-type] WHITE MAN would vote for these REPUBLICANS?

Yeah, they'll get some but I have a bit more confidence that most white guys get it too.

August 23, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  17. Malory Archer

The rethugliban are the most pathetic people ever........liars, deceivers, dictators..........they are not much better than Hussein, Mubarak or Kadaffy........in terms of how they govern. They blame all of their faults on the opposition, and accept no responsibility for their own actions. They buy votes in Congress, with under-the-table deals, that are basically illegitimate, in order to pass their legislation. They squander our tax dollars, in worthless programs, and totally misguided efforts to take over the entire world. They take advantage of their following, who tend to be uneducated, illiterate, and who wait for rightwing bloviators and tea party leaders, to tell them who to vote for. They really are just dictators........taking advantage of those who can't think for themselves.

August 23, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  18. sck

I am voting for Obama in 2012 in hopes he will actually turn into something that resembles a liberal and because I am scared to death of almost the entire Republican field...mainly because of the ignorant, uninformed crazies they have to swoon these days.

August 23, 2011 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  19. The Other Michael in Houston

Hey Natidriver, from one fellow Texan to another (that if you are from Texas), You forgot to mention that Gov. Perry did not have to impose a state tax because he balanced the budget with the Stimulus money that he got from President Obama, and you forgot to mention that most of the jobs created were due to the Stimulus money and most of those jobs are state government jobs. Just because you keep repeating the lie is not going to make it true.

August 23, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  20. BinFL

Face it, the GOP is getting desperate. They know none of these clowns can beat our President and these polls are just hogwash since they are all hypothetical at this point. Once the GOP nominates their candidate then you'll see what the voters really think and my bet is on the President. I know the dumbing down of America has gotten worse over the years but I just look back at the 2008 election and I can continue to have hope.

August 23, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  21. curtaincall

Sure, I'll believe this poll when pigs fly. What is this, intern week during summer vacation, CNN?

August 23, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  22. Annie, Atlanta

The GOP has thrown out all civility and common decency, treats us all like crap unless we're rich, and yet we still vote for them. They let in the birchers, we have people tied to dominionism running for President of this great land, and we're ok with this. Are we nuts? I'm a registered Republican and don't even recognize this hate filled divisive party at all anymore. I haven't changed my registration, but have certainly changed my mindset. They'll destroy us in their present form. They nearly did with that whole debt ceiling debacle. Until the moderates take back control of the party, we're in trouble. Yet we can't seem to change old habits. Is this because we're ignorant and not paying attention?

August 23, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  23. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country

Still, can't blame him for it. The person I was responding to was trying to make people angry with him for him having failed to follow through on the promise to close it. He was prevented from doing so. As a practical matter, it's therefore not his fault that the promise remains unfulfilled.
    =================================================================================================
    How about a dose of reality in your make believe world? Obama promised to do something before he knew what he was talking about and had a plan to do it. Or was his plan that he would decree it and it would magically happen by itslel? In other worlds, he shot his mouth off and used the topic as a way of attacking George Bush and Republicans.

The fact is it is insane to propose what he proposed so YES he IS responsible for not fulfilling his insane, illogical, impossible promise to close Gitmo. Egg on his face from day 1. And it has been all downhill ever since.

August 23, 2011 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  24. terry,va

@kira...your slanted eyes creates your slanted views of the world. The black in you suggests you will vote for a dumbocrap. All of you do for reasons I can't comprehend. Repubs come in all races, income brackets, and religions. I doubt that you are religious or you wouldn't judge others. So vote for the dumbocraps anytime you want to.

August 23, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  25. ART

Let the games begin, Onama is gonna mop the floor with these nut job Rethuglicans

August 23, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |