Poll: Dead heat for Obama and GOP candidates
August 22nd, 2011

Poll: Dead heat for Obama and GOP candidates

(CNN) - President Barack Obama is closely matched in hypothetical head-to-heads with 2012 Republican presidential candidates, according to a poll released Monday.

The Gallup survey showed Obama within the sampling error among registered voters when pitted against Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, Ron Paul and Michele Bachmann.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney led the president 48 percent to 46 percent while Obama was tied with Texas Gov. Rick Perry at 47 percent. The president led Rep. Ron Paul of Texas by two percentage points with 47 percent and Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota with four percentage points at 48 percent.

The new figures are similar to those from a recent CNN/ORC International Poll released earlier in August, which showed Obama ahead of Perry by five percentage points, Bachmann by six percentage points and Romney by one percentage point.

Gallup surveyed 879 registered voters by phone August 17 through August 18 with a sampling error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Filed under: Polls • President Obama • Republicans
  1. Chris

I have read about half of the entries and I have not seen one good factual argument from a democrat/liberal FOR Obama...they are all emotional arguments against republican/conservatives. I don't know how people can still stand behind this president 100% when he has not done anything to improve our country from where it was 3 years ago...you can go so far as to say that he has helped make a bad situation even worse! Who cares if he's a nice guy or the first african american president if he cannot be effective in office. I'm sure your favorite football team's quarterback is a nice guy, but if all he does is throw interceptions, he has to be replaced.

August 23, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  2. The Other Michael in Houston

Funny how 875 people can make up the mind of the rest of the United States. Look people, polls are slanted to influence opinions. For an example, if you ask 875 people in Southwest Houston, Obama would win by 90% plus, if you ask 875 people in Conroe, Texas, Obama would lose by 90% plus. So my point is, unless you can tell me where the people are that you polled, we should take it for what it is worth, nothing. Oh and to Four and the Door, Democrat Warfare and the rest of you so called conservatives, when I throw my election night party to celebrate President Obama's re=election, I can send one of my private jets to whereever you are, and fly you to Houston, so I can personally laugh in your face. The offer stands. Say bye bye to tea jihadist movement. Your 15 minutes of fame is up.

August 23, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  3. CAL USA

If Bachmann, Perry, Santorum, Cain, Palin, Romney really loved America, they would not want Bachmann, Perry, Santorum, Cain, et al to become president. The only GOP candidate that represents reasonable folks (Huntsman) has no chance to win thanks to the fanatics that have hijacked the party. Even moderate Republicans will be forced to vote for Obama or stay home this time.

August 23, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. Ohioan

LMAO at the "democrats want sucess for all people"

More like "i want to sit on my fat a$$, and let other people work pay taxes and support me"

August 23, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  5. Pravaa

whatever!!!!! Obama 2012

August 23, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  6. Tony 140

It's interesting to watch the personal attack strategy of the Left on every new candidate that emerges. They need personal attacks because BHO cannot stand on his record. So Perry is the new target and all they have is that he is another Bush. I would suggest not going this route because "W" is turning out to be a much better President than this guy.

August 23, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  7. Rsprings

>For those of you who say the Repubs will destroy Medicare..REMEMBER the DEMS took 500 Billion out of Medicare to fund Obamacare.
    >For those of you who are beating the raise taxes on Corporations drum, let me explain. Raising taxes takes money out of the economy and gives it to Government who has proven it can't manage money. Also, corporations will raise prices which is inflationary and will impact ALL American consumers even Democrats. Higher prices hurt everyone, particularly poor people.
    >Spending must be curtailed. Yes it will be short term pain but when the house of cards collapses like Europe has it will be very very bad fr all. Even if you don't like them, the TEA Party is correct.

August 23, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  8. Chris

Kira: Your argument is hypocritical. How can you fault the GOP for their stance on gay marriage or abortion when you yourself state that you have the same or similar stance?
    By your short sighted logic, I could state the following:
    Liberals/Democrats hate:
    Legal citizens
    Small business
    Big business
    Consumers and their right to choose
    Armed Forces
    Guns and the right to defend oneself
    Taxpayers
    Anyone of any religion and religion itself
    Whites
    Successful self made people
    Anyone who is not in Hollywood
    Gays (They didn't pass any gay marriage law even though they had super majority)
    "Undocumented Immigrants"/Illegal Immigrants/Latinos (They didn't pass any immigration reform/amnesty even though they had super majority)

I could go on, but let's not be silly here and make dumb blanket statements.

August 23, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  9. Jersey George

Most republican supporters on this board are gullible sheep nurtured by habitual liars Fox News, the Tea Baggers, Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann, Sarah "Quitter" Palin, the Koch brothers (tea party's sugar daddy), Andew Breitbart, and Grover Norquist, the GOP's puppet master.

August 23, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  10. Coco Bwana

It is WAY too early for these polls. THey mean nothing at this stage of the game.

August 23, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  11. Coco Bwana

It is WAY too early for these daily polls. They mean nothing at this stage of the game,

August 23, 2011 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  12. kmp

For those of you still complaining about Obama taking a vacation "News Flash" I wouldn't say any vacation that he takes is truely a vacation he still gets daily briefings, he cannot turn of his phone and I think he deserves a little bit of R&R even though it isn't what I would call a vacation. Matter of fact no president in modern times while on "vacation" really is getting a break. If you are going to complain about something at least try to sound intelligent, because this argument is lame, even I knew President Bush wasn't on "vacation", everytime he was in TX and I didn't like him.

August 23, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  13. Jay Jay

Obama has done right well, considering the mess he inherited from W, and the obstinate congress he has to work with. If America votes in a Republican tne next election we can all just forget it.

August 23, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  14. Jae

Who is Obama? Who is this guy that all of thes governors senators fox contributors talking about? Everyone speaks of like he is president but since no one calls him president or MR President like required, he can't b president right? Also I thought it was a requirement to b white to b president? Is not true? No one else can b qualified Right?

August 23, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  15. Slick Sigmar

Come on folks you know better that this! All polls can be manipulated just like any data out there. You just throw out the data that you do not want and there you have it, a poll to support your arguement. I just cannot believe people are falling for this BS. What we really need to do is take some real poles and run them right up the a$$es of Congress, that would prduce some good data.

August 23, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  16. RobertFTL

Vote for Perry if you want the country to go back 200 years! His goal is to rewrite the constitution...don't believe me, read his book. With Perry, blurring the lines of state and church wouldn't be applicable anymore. If up to him, the church will be added to the constitution. I'm voting for President Obama in 2012!

August 23, 2011 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  17. J_Jordon

Go Perry!! Golf away, Obama.

August 23, 2011 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  18. tx4ever

latest gallup..38% approval and 54% disapproval. ...looks like he will follow Carter and be a 1 term pres.

August 23, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  19. Ron , West Coast

Anyone who votes for a teapublican against President Obama should have their head examined. The President has had many accomplishments in his first term in office , ( tracking down and killing Osama Bin Latin , Libya , ) to point out a couple .
    Those pathetic teapublicans would do as they always do ,start wars that they can`t finish , and drive up the debt by giving tax breaks to the wealthy and the Wall Street " Fat Cats "......

August 23, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  20. Scott

Seriously, does anyone want to see another republican from Texas.

August 23, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  21. New Age Independent

@Kira "My beliefs are ONLY my beliefs. I do not believe in FORCING my beliefs and my ways on others. VOTE GOP and all of your liberties will be taken away from you....."

Liberals can be such hypocrites! Good thing you don't believe in FORCING your beliefs on anyone!

August 23, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  22. Tea Party Mike

This poll is a nice bump for all the Republican candidates, great news for America! And today Obama continues to trend down with a new low of 38% approval for Obama in the daily Gallup Presidential performance poll.
    Since Obama took office and he and the Democrats passed the stimulus bill and their first and only budget, they have ignored and denied the polls that over and over again show that a majority of Americans just plane do not support their big government, massive deficit, out of control spending policies. In fact it was the passage of the stimulus and their one and only budget that gave birth to the TEA PARTY, how is that for irony. Democrats denied and defied the polls and got crushed in the 2010 election. Going into the 2012 elections Democrats and Obama will not only fully own all those big government spending policies they passed against the will of a majority of voters, but these same policies have also now failed to deliver as promised. The 2012 election will be a repeat of 2010 with the addition of Obama being defeated by a Republican for President.

August 23, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  23. Dee

I live in Texas and why is it when I see a Confederate flag on one of their pick up trucks, I automatically assume they are a Republican, and they are anti gay, anti black, anti Hispanic? Oh and they also affiliate themselves with the Tea Party. Enough said!!!

August 23, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  24. The Real Tom Paine

@ NYCitizen

Oh and P.S.: I will never ever again vote anyone into any politcal office who has a voting record of "Present" and excels as Community Organizer!

Reply to LifeLongGOP: Pataki is going to run....how's that for a viable candidate? Three term Governor of NY who really did not do such a bad job, did he? Pataki is the Anti-Community-Organizer-with-a-Voting-Record-of -Present!
    ____________________________

Pataki was governor here for 12 years: can you name a single thing he initiated that was a success, that improved the lives of everyone who lived here? He left with an approval rating of barely 30%. He was barely qualified to be Mayor of Peekskill, and he only won with a healthy dose of money from Al "Pothole" D'Amato and people being tired of Mario Cuomo. BTW, Andrew Cuomo has acheived everything Scott Walker and John Kasich have dreamed of without busting any unions. It can be done, but Pataki always avoided the hard issues.

August 23, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  25. verk1977

I have have read most of these post and have come to the conclusion that there isn't anyone out there that can compromise on anything. Almost all of you thing that the GOP is filled with racist and homophobes that love nothing but the rich. I am not rich. I make a decent living(less that $20/hr) raise 3 children and am still paying for my home. I don't want handouts from the government, I don't think any company should be bailed out, I blame Bush and Obama for our budget problems. Bush spent as if he was a Democrat and Obama wants to spend even more. I agree in the shared sacrifces Obama has been spouting, but disagree with the amount, it should be over $1 million instead of $250k.

August 23, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |