Battle still looms for Libya after Gadhafi
Libyans celebrate on August 24, 2011, in the eastern city of Benghazi, after rebels overran Gadhafi's fortified Bab al-Azizya headquarters in the capital Tripoli following heavy fighting.
August 24th, 2011

Battle still looms for Libya after Gadhafi

(CNN) - As what might be the final battle rages in Libya, another is looming: the political battle to create a functioning democracy.

As Libyan rebels try to consolidate their military gains in Tripoli, the National Transitional Council in Benghazi is trying to activate plans for a political transition.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Libya • President Obama • Susan Rice
  1. The Elephant in The Room

It took America many decades of eruption and evolution to get it right. It is wholely unrealistic to hear "talking heads" on cabletv pontificate about "next steps" before the dust even settles. Equally empty will be the inevitable anti-Obama comments from GOP candidates running for President.

I didn`t hear war monger McCain or Graham talk about the hard work of a post-rebellion-transistion when they were chest-thumping back in Feb regarding using American military power.

I didn`t hear Romney, Palin, Perry, Bachmann, Cain or Gingrich warn about shoulder-launched missiles, or Sarin gas, or chemical weapons. None of them put forth their version for how to manage the aftermath of Kadhafi`s ouster because they weren`t cerebrally knowledgible enough to think it through to completion.

I cast my lot with the President on Libya. He has strucuted this so that the Europeans, Arabs, and rebel Libyans are primarily on the hook to fix Libya after Moammar. Good job, sir!

August 24, 2011 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

What is the official spelling of that man's name? Over the years I have seen maybe a dozen variations, even some beginning with the letter Q.

Khadhaffi came to power in a military coup, and I think some of those left behind in his military are fighting to do the same. I am saying that they are not defending Khadhaffi as much as they are trying to consolidate their own grip on power to rule the country. This situation will digress into a civil war and a struggle for power before all is said and done.

August 24, 2011 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

"As what might be the final battle rages in Libya, another is looming: the political battle to create a functioning democracy."
    ------------–
    Just what is it that makea you think that one side or the other has democracy in mind? It would be a fair assessment to say that most of the involved parties have never participated in or lived in a democracy. Democracy is more likely to be the furthest thing from their minds. I think power is the only thing on all of their minds, on both sides.

August 24, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  4. Fair is Fair

@ Rudy –

For what it's worth, I believe I read some years ago that the "correct" spelling is how CNN has it in this article, but there are several other "accepted" spellings.

August 24, 2011 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  5. FM

If Iraq managed, I am hopeful Libya will do as well. I reckon both countries went through the same millions problems and it will take time to solve them. I sense people are optimistic and looking forward to vote for the first time in their lives!

August 24, 2011 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  6. Bill from GA

No doubt whether Libya's government is a 'democracy' or not, or how the media spells the guys name, are of some importance, I am more concerned with the un-accounted for weapons, such as nerve gas and hand-held anti-aircraft rockets. Maybe the USA should lead NATO in securing these dangerous items. One of the many mistakes from the invasion of Iraq was not securing HUGE numbers of explosives, and our troops and our country paid highly for this error.

August 24, 2011 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  7. Julie

It is in the hands of the people now – not our war and not our soldiers dead. Whatever happens the Libyans are responsible for. Between the covert raid on Bin Laden and the wisdom shown by our president in this situation, the GOP better think twice about going after the president on this. Based on what McCain has said, if he were president, we would be up to our ears in a third war. Now if President Obama can start closing the door on those other wars, he will go down as a great president. Our economy needs to be out of those wars and staying there is not going to do one thing to determine the eventual outcome.

August 24, 2011 10:37 am at 10:37 am |