Perry: Romney recognizes his 'huge' problem
August 26th, 2011

Perry: Romney recognizes his 'huge' problem

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry chastised Mitt Romney's health care plan Thursday, but said he believes the former governor of Massachusetts is beginning to see the light.

"I think Mitt is finally recognizing that the Massachusetts health care plan that he passed is a huge problem for him," he told conservative radio talk show host Laura Ingraham in an interview.

And the 2012 GOP contender attempted to lump Romney in with health care reform passed last year by a Democratic-controlled Congress and signed into law by President Obama, a potentially toxic tie-in for conservative voters.

"I think Obamacare, which was modeled after the Massachusetts plan, was an absolute debacle." Perry said, in an ongoing effort to topple Romney's GOP frontrunner status.

Romney's campaign declined a request for comment.

In the past, Romney has countered criticism over his plan by stating that the "first thing" he'd do as president is "repeal Obamacare."

Though critics often compare Romney's health care plan with federal health care reform, the candidate has been outspoken on his belief that the plan implemented for Massachusetts was good–in Massachusetts–and has indicated it was not intended for implementation across the nation.

The longest-serving Texas governor touted his Lone Star state credentials as he tried to distance himself from Washington establishment.

But he's faced his own critics on health care policy in Texas, including the liberal-leaning Texas Legislative Study Group, a research caucus in the Texas state assembly comprised of House members that claims Texas has the highest share of uninsured in the nation at 28 percent.

The most recent Census report ranked Texas highest in the nation with 26.1 percent uninsured in 2009.

"I'm Rick Perry, and I am who I am. I've got my own record. I'm not George Bush. I don't try to be," he said.

"I'm the right person for Texas, they've elected me three times to be governor of this state–it's unprecedented in the state's history–and we've been a job creation machine."

Striking back at critics, Perry continued, "With all due respect to anybody that's out there either directly or indirectly criticizing me because I speak plainly, I call it like I see it."

"I am not an establishment figure, never have been and frankly I don't want to be. I dislike Washington, I think it's a seedy place. Our country is in trouble and I don't have the privilege to sit on the sideline and watch our country be destroyed economically by a president who has been conducting an experiment on the American economy for the last two and half years."

When Ingraham asked Perry to promise that he'd never vacation in Martha's Vineyard, where President Obama is currently spending time, the candidate said, "I'm not even sure if I know where it is."

Filed under: 2012 • Massachusetts • Mitt Romney • Rick Perry • Texas
  1. dxlh

I don't see Perry being quite ready for prime time and I don't think America is ready for another Texan. He can say he's different than GWB, and he is, but not in the right ways.

August 26, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  2. Double A

Why do Americans prefer to be BS'd by slick politicians. Why not elect someone who at least has the guts to answer the questions with conviction? Like Perry or not, he poses a huge threat for the liberal agenda. My dad always told me "If you believe the liberal agenda works, then you are also capable of believing that professional wresting is real."

August 26, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  3. Jilli

Lord, the bar really can't be set this low, is it?

No, Perry isn't GW Bush, he's worse. Perry makes Bush look like Einstein.

August 26, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  4. gg

It seems that the secessionist Governor, now running for President of the Confederacy, hasn't yet realized his big problem... he's a hard core reactionary completely out of touch with the American people.

August 26, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  5. NoTags

Perry has a bad case of "foot in mouth disease". From the story; "I dislike Washington, I think it's a seedy place." You should fit right in, Rick.

When Ingraham asked Perry to promise that he'd never vacation in Martha's Vineyard, where President Obama is currently spending time, the candidate said, "I don't even know if I know where it is."

Rick, I imagine most people who made C's and D's in college wouldn't know where Martha's Vineyard is located. I sure you can tell us where "garden spots" like Paint Creek, Nacogdoches or Ratsmosa, Texas are located.

August 26, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I see the feeding frenzy has begun.
    Rethugs eating other Rethugs.
    They say they taste like chicken!!

August 26, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  7. gar

to Double A:

Funny. My dad always told me "if you believe the reactionary agenda works, then you are capable of believing the earth is flat and you might fall of the edge."

August 26, 2011 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  8. jk from MN

I sincerely hope that America realizes the huge problem with the Texas Gov – or should I say Geo Bush II only worse.

August 26, 2011 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  9. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country

Let me get this straight...romneys program which is working is a handicap,
    ============================================================
    Where did you get this misinformation? If by "working", you mean NOT keeping healthcare costs down and costing the taxpayers of Massuchusetts hundreds of millions more than they said it would, then yes it is working exactly the opposite of what they said it.

But this should be no surprise as that was all just lies in order to get a huge new government entitlement plan on the books. Which is what the liberal agenda is all about. Which is why we have so many unmotivated, government dependent poor people in this country. Why would people want to work when they can simply sign up for "free" government goodies to meet their every need?

August 26, 2011 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  10. gar

Slick Rick is the BSer of all time. My dad always told me "if you believe the conservative agenda works, you are capable of believing the earth is flat and you might fall of the edge.'

August 26, 2011 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  11. Adonix

I prefer George W. Bush over Perry, and that's saying something. I'll vote for Romney before I vote for Perry.
    Perry goes to far to the right; record proves it. I don't like extremists.
    I'm an independent, and I'm moderate.

August 26, 2011 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  12. Clwyd

Perry's biggest problem is that he wants to change 7 parts of the Constitution that would add power to to governors and take it away from the people. One is the appointment of Senators rather than election by the people. Go ahead and secede! Please!

August 26, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  13. FM

Hey Perry where are you coming from?? Not from Texas?? Whether you take it or you leave it, we all understand that Bush and Rick Perry come from Texas, a Cowboy state! Thats the reality! You can not deny it Rick!

August 26, 2011 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. Republicans - The Not Intended To Be Factually Accurate" Party

Pretty Ricky -

You`ve got your own problems:

1.) Your state has a, did I hear that right, a $26 BILLION DEFICIT this year?

2.) You claim to be able to "create jobs" as a Governor. All you do is STEAL jobs from other states. Also, we`re going to be watching Texas unemployment AND job creation. As Federal Stimulus money is consumed, your deficit will get worse as will your UNEMPLOYMENT. I look forward to hearing you aw shucks your way out of that.

3) You called for end of Social Security in a book you supposedly wrote. If you think Romneycare is a problem for Willard, you just wait until some investigative reporting reveals your value system. Get ready for one of those debilitating Bachmann MIGRAINES.

You`ll either have to show your YELLoW side and change your tune – in which case the false tough guy persona will vanish -or- you`ll double-down on your attack of Social Security and a bunch of old folks will, in your wors, "treat you pretty rough"

There are about 10 reasons you`re unelectable.

August 26, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  15. vic , nashville ,tn

Bush records are nothing he will worse than George Bush

August 26, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  16. Matthew

Fine, I ll tone it down. Perry does have the guts to answer questions & mittens is very scared of a guy that is eating him for breakfest, lunch, dinner & desert. Mittens cant dodge the Bain thing & healthcare forever. & yes I think he is an absolute coward with 0 backbone when it comes to fighting the cowboy!!!!!!

August 26, 2011 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  17. GonzoinHouston

BTW, for those who didn't follow Perry's last election as Governor; there were three strong candidates in the democratic primary. One of them won and the other two ran as independents, splitting the democrat/liberal/anti-Perry vote three ways. In Texas, there are no run-offs for governor; the candidate with the most votes wins and a plurality is acceptable. Perry won re-election all right; with 39% of the vote. That number is neither a misprint nor an exaggeration. Perry won re-election with only 39% of the vote.

August 26, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  18. Laverne

All the other presidents have vacationed at Martha's Vineyard, why is every standard different since Obama has become president as if he is the first to go there, I mean I know the answer, it is just a shame that some people are like the Laura Ingram's of the world. It is just right down sickening!

August 26, 2011 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  19. Romney > Obama

Although I'm not a fan of the healthcare MA law, the power is still with the state. Obamacare is inefficient, expensive healthcare for the country. If I don't want to participate in a state-run program, I can move. Obamacare doesn't give you that option.

Obamacare isn't sustainable–no matter how much Obama give speeches about it.

Romney (and most of the republican field) is better than Obama.

August 26, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  20. Lost in Texas FOREVER

to REALLY know about Rick Perry you just have to be down here in the great Red state of Texas. Although Texas is close to the top of the nation for not graduating it's kids from high school, not all of us down here dim bulbs like the folks we send to Washington ( DeLay, Gommert all come to mind). I really get a kick out of you that are following Perry like sheep. Keep it up it just makes more interesting reading.

August 26, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  21. Fair is Fair

"Let me get this straight...romneys program which is working is a handicap, and perry and his state with the highest number of uninsured people has it right?"
    ---–
    Take it from someone who lives in Massachusetts – Romneycare is an unmitigated DISASTER and Obamacare is Romneycare on steroids. It must be repealed.

August 26, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  22. GOP Hate America

great another guy that doesnt know his geography and hates washington so much he wants to be part of it.

August 26, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  23. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Perry is right he's "not George W. Bush" because GWB did work in the private sector to gain his wealth and not off taxpayers. Perry is what you call "seedy" because the only job he's ever had in his life is a government job and I'd like to know how he became a millionaire working for the Government. I wouldn't vote for this lazy bum because as the saying goes "where there's government money you always find thieves" and Perry has been following Government money all his life.

August 26, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  24. AEK

You what is a huge problem? It's the governor of a large state going into business with a multinational insurance company to try to make money betting on life insurance policies issued to retired school teachers. Now I've heard of some pretty sleezy schemes in my life, but this really takes the cake. I'm sure the nice people of Texas deserve better than this and I know the American people do.

August 26, 2011 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  25. AZ DEM

Rick Perry you are never going to be president with the rhetoric that you're using on the campaign trail. Although you'll likely cruise to the GOP nomination I don't think moderate voters and Independents are going to be so keen to vote for a governor who presides over a state with some of the lowest standards as far as education and a even lower standard on creating jobs that people consider careers and not just a way to make the rent every month. I am all for straignt talk frankly I prefer it from all politicians but you sir will never get a vote from me.

August 26, 2011 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |