Perry: Romney recognizes his 'huge' problem
August 26th, 2011

Perry: Romney recognizes his 'huge' problem

(CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry chastised Mitt Romney's health care plan Thursday, but said he believes the former governor of Massachusetts is beginning to see the light.

"I think Mitt is finally recognizing that the Massachusetts health care plan that he passed is a huge problem for him," he told conservative radio talk show host Laura Ingraham in an interview.

And the 2012 GOP contender attempted to lump Romney in with health care reform passed last year by a Democratic-controlled Congress and signed into law by President Obama, a potentially toxic tie-in for conservative voters.

"I think Obamacare, which was modeled after the Massachusetts plan, was an absolute debacle." Perry said, in an ongoing effort to topple Romney's GOP frontrunner status.

Romney's campaign declined a request for comment.

In the past, Romney has countered criticism over his plan by stating that the "first thing" he'd do as president is "repeal Obamacare."

Though critics often compare Romney's health care plan with federal health care reform, the candidate has been outspoken on his belief that the plan implemented for Massachusetts was good–in Massachusetts–and has indicated it was not intended for implementation across the nation.

The longest-serving Texas governor touted his Lone Star state credentials as he tried to distance himself from Washington establishment.

But he's faced his own critics on health care policy in Texas, including the liberal-leaning Texas Legislative Study Group, a research caucus in the Texas state assembly comprised of House members that claims Texas has the highest share of uninsured in the nation at 28 percent.

The most recent Census report ranked Texas highest in the nation with 26.1 percent uninsured in 2009.

"I'm Rick Perry, and I am who I am. I've got my own record. I'm not George Bush. I don't try to be," he said.

"I'm the right person for Texas, they've elected me three times to be governor of this state–it's unprecedented in the state's history–and we've been a job creation machine."

Striking back at critics, Perry continued, "With all due respect to anybody that's out there either directly or indirectly criticizing me because I speak plainly, I call it like I see it."

"I am not an establishment figure, never have been and frankly I don't want to be. I dislike Washington, I think it's a seedy place. Our country is in trouble and I don't have the privilege to sit on the sideline and watch our country be destroyed economically by a president who has been conducting an experiment on the American economy for the last two and half years."

When Ingraham asked Perry to promise that he'd never vacation in Martha's Vineyard, where President Obama is currently spending time, the candidate said, "I'm not even sure if I know where it is."

Filed under: 2012 • Massachusetts • Mitt Romney • Rick Perry • Texas
  1. NVa Native

Our huge problem is that the Republican Party does not exist anymore. We have the Democratic Party and a Radical Right Wing Party.The very same "Party" who wants to take us backward to the wonderful fifties.

August 26, 2011 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  2. Phil in KC

Perry would just let people die. And, if their bank account runs dry paying for health care, send them to the poor house. He probably wants to bring back debtors prison. That's the problem with the far right; when it comes to Christianity, they talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk – especially when it comes to their politics.

August 26, 2011 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  3. Rosslaw

Another big mouith with a wide strut who believes that passes for leadership. A criminal forensics board thinks that a defendant condemned to die was convicted of bogus evidence and Perry fires them so he can kill the defendant, "texas style". He talks seccesion but whines when the feds don't rush in fast enough to save his state from burning down to the ground because God answered Perry's prayers for rain with an emphatic "hell no". Texas is an open "pay to play" state where contributions to Perry can result in tens or hundreds of millions in business enhancement grants to the players a la Bush and Cheney. China looks at dangerous buffoons like Perry and Bachman and are now convinced they will rule the world and who is going to argue with them.

August 26, 2011 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  4. William

May I suggest a vacation retreat For Gov. Rick Perry-Crawford, Texas.Our government has spent millions on security and I'm sure Perry could get good rental rates from the owner since he really doesn't need it much anymore. Thanks, Ms. Ingaham for another one of your deep questions for the Republican candidate for Pres.Put this man on "Face the Nation" or "Meet the Press" ASAP.

August 26, 2011 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. Marie MD

@Democrat whatever I take it you only come to cnn's website to parrot (sorry parrots) whatever your masters on faux news say.
    I am not sure what the secessiinist's problem is but how many times is he going to show his crotch to the world? Me to the narcissistic secessionist that might work for your rethug women who are under their super christian husband's thumbs but I am not impressed one bit. If you have to promote "it" so much maybe you have a little problem there?

August 26, 2011 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  6. The Lone Okie

First, he wanted to secede, and make Texas its own nation. Now, he wants to be President of the same nation he was discontent with. He threathen the Fed chief, and bragged on Texas, like they are the only bad-asses in the coumtry. The flag wrapped, angry, secessionist is so 2010.

August 26, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  7. Republican who supports President Obama

The GOP field is a total shame. They have no regard for the american citizen. All they care about is getting a vote and lying to get it. Disgusting.

August 26, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  8. bb

Rick Perry is nothing but an ignorant step backwards decades, including all the mistakes we've suffered through, including George Bush. We can do so much better.

August 26, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  9. Dave Harris

Martha's Vineyard! Only panty-waisted liberals go there. Rick's going to stay in the great state of Texas where he can shoot at Mexicans. At least no one can accuse Perry of ever having tried to do something good, like help people get access to medical care. For that matter, he'd better be careful about claiming that he's "created jobs". According to Republican dogma, government doesn't create jobs, only rich guys who don't pay any taxes do that. He might be accused of trying to help someone, and he'd be in the same boat as Romney.

August 26, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  10. REG in AZ

Perry just seems to be another one of those candidates who will say anything, without much thought or responsible concern, which he feels might help him win some people's emotion. He has said so many things that are just irresponsible and totally lack conscience / truth that he is as scary as just another GWBush – a "puppet" to preform for those who "pull his strings".

August 26, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  11. thomas

Rick Perry , " PURE SPIN " !

August 26, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  12. Lynda/Minnesota

"I don't see Perry being quite ready for prime time"

Nor do I. I doubt he'll ever be ready.

August 26, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  13. Woman In California

@ No Tags

Thanks. That's funny. I really needed that laugh.

August 26, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  14. thomas

Perry is one angry closet queen !

CNN , could you please show us the photo of Perry at Texas S&M again .

August 26, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  15. ART

I'am no Republican but Mitt is twice as smart and sensible compared to this religious nut job Perry (Parry)

August 26, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  16. skarphace

Perry knows that Romney is his biggest competitor. Bachmann only knows 'talking points' and Paul is not religious enough for the Teavangelicals.

Perry also kows that head-to-head he has an advantage over Romney. The Tea Party vote would vote for Perry over Romney leaving only the moderate Republicans to choose between the two. If Perry can split the moderate vote, he is a shoe-in for the Republican nomination.

This is why you will see Perry focus his attacks on Romney instead of Bachmann or Paul.

August 26, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  17. Woman In California

@ Claudia In Houston

I never heard that saying but you bought it home for me. Quite true. Quite true.

August 26, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

somebody wrote:
    Let me get this straight...romneys program which is working is a handicap,
    ============================================================
    Where did you get this misinformation? If by "working", you mean NOT keeping healthcare costs down and costing the taxpayers of Massuchusetts hundreds of millions more than they said it would, then yes it is working exactly the opposite of what they said it.
    --------------
    The truth is that the cost of health care has risen across the country. The rise in MA has been well below the average. Neighboring states have seen the steepest increases in heath care costs, which is not the same as health insurance costs.

I don't know about you, but I am sick of paying higher premiums because others LIKE YOU don't want to buy insurance and live off the livelyhood of those who do buy health insurance. (Just stoking that conservative ire. ROFLMAO)

August 26, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  19. NYC REPUB

These talking points are hilarious.......This wealthy elitist doesn't know where Martha's Vieyard is.....give me a break! Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.....He's gonna kick Romney'sbut though....i like that b/c Romney is fake!
    In the end, it's Obama 2012!!!!

August 26, 2011 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  20. pn

I thought Romney's main problem was that he is not a bible thumping loony.

August 26, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  21. bugbuster

Has it ever occurred to GOP supporters to ask what *their* ideal health care system might look like? Could it be the one we had before any reforms? And what happens to *them* and *their parents* when *they* get sick and the insurance companies dump *them?* Is that when *they* will rejoice for their candidates' political victories?

Of course the candidates don't have to worry. They're all millionaires. But what about the average people who support no reforms? Are they ready to sacrifice themselves, their children, and their parents on the altar of their political beliefs?

August 26, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  22. ClydeTheSlyde

George W. Version 2.0!

August 26, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  23. fayse

fyi to FM please allow me to clear up one fact about George W Bush. Bush is not a Texan, he was born in Connecticut, his family is from Maine. The whole family relocated to Texas and in my opinion they are Carpetbaggers. I personally wish that they had all stayed up North. As for Rick Perry, he won his last election with 39% of the vote because, it was a three way race so, that means that 61% of the voters did not vote for Perry. There are many things that will come out regarding Perry, none of them are good. I predict that he will flame out just like Trump.

August 26, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  24. The Other Michael in Houston

Perry you only had 39% of the vote in Texas and unfortunately, the Independent and the Democrat vote was split between 4 other candadites. If it had been Perry versus Bill White only, Perry would be known as the former Govenor of Texas. I cannot wait until someone in the debates ask him about the great educational system in Texas, or if he hates Washington so much that he asked for billions of stimulis money from the Government. For people who hate Washington so much, you people are trying so hard to get there.

@ Democrat Class Warfare – I am really wondering if you are in the 7 figure club like myself (that would be 0,000,000 for you fast food employee's) because if you are not, what is you beef?

August 26, 2011 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  25. MInTexas

William...I can't wait to see Perry on Face the Nation or Meet the Press. But don't hold your breath, he won't allow himself to be asked tough questions by those guys.

August 26, 2011 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |