CNN Poll: MLK had influence on majority of Americans
August 27th, 2011

CNN Poll: MLK had influence on majority of Americans

(CNN) - On the 48th anniversary weekend of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech, a majority of Americans say the civil rights leader made an impact on them.

According to a new CNN/ORC International poll released Saturday, 66 percent of adults in America said King influenced them.

Read full results (PDF)

Sunday's planned dedication of the new Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial in Washington D.C. has been postponed indefinitely because of Hurricane Irene's projected path up the U.S. east coast.

The poll was conducted by ORC International from August 24-25, with 1,017 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The poll's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

Filed under: CNN/ORC poll
  1. Marie MD

Some things have changed but unfortunately many people are still carrying hate and bigotry in their hearts and minds.
    Maybe instead of reading the bible you should read some of what Dr. King believed in and died for!

August 27, 2011 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  2. T'sah from Virginia

[When measuring how much of an influence King had on individuals, 28 percent said he influenced them “a great deal,” 38 percent said "somewhat," 16 percent said "not much," and 18 percent said "not at all."]

To be "really" influenced by MLK you had to LIVE IT – To LIVE IT, you would still be greatly influenced by him. I lived it and all of my children were "influenced" by him through me. The important issue is to keep MLK's legacy alive which is why the memorial in DC is so important. For this, I am thankful for because we must keep in mind that NOT all schools teach about MLK and what his impact had on America – and TRUST ME, there are schools out there and it's a known fact!!!

I am looking forward to the memorial celebration when it is rescheduled and I will be there!!

August 27, 2011 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  3. diridi

I respect, world respect, this Gandhian.....

August 27, 2011 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  4. GI Joe

I know people in Alabama and Mississippi tha STILL believe George Wallace-type attitudes were correct. They are still so prejudiced and ignorant I'm almost ashamed of them. It's too bad the older generation has to die away to get rid of all the hypocricy and hate going on in the south. Some have even passed it on to their children, so it may take two or three more generations to rid this country of the evils of prejudice and hate.

August 27, 2011 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  5. peace

that"s because he was a god sent man . President Obama is too that"s why the devils like palin,bachmon,demint, rush can"t stand him. wait and see all of them and are going to fall flat on their back like joe wilson u heard it from me first. god done like lair and fake christan.

August 27, 2011 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  6. The Elephant in The Room

The injustices that blacks were subjected to from 1776 through 1968 when King was assasinated reflect on of the largest lies every perpetrated by America under our Constitution. By forcing the country to live up to it`s pronouncements King helped save America from it`s own cancerous wickedness.

Even to this day, we see that racism – whether in the form of 2 carloads of white teens killing a black man in Jackson MS , or in the form of the President`s opponents working overtime to "make him fail" [the rest of America be damned!] – is still with too many of our citizens.

Right now, we need an "Economics Rights" leader to follow the "Civil Rights" example set by King.

This is not socialism, communism or any other "ism" that opponents want to hurl. I believe in capitalism, I believe in profit, I believe in those with the ideas & work ethic getting extra spoils. But the American Dream isn`t about materialism. It`s about fair dealing no matter your wealth or station in life. It means that if you want something – - not a house or a car – - but a certain kind of life, nothing is allowed to prevent you from getting it.

King, a Republican, WOULD NOT endorse today`s GOP. We need a new man [or woman] to carry the economic torch.

August 27, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  7. The Greedy Old Pigs have lost their minds!

16% plus 18% equals 34%, which is just about the percentage of GOBPbaggers in the country. Hmmmmm.

August 27, 2011 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  8. Rick McDaniel

The question is.......how much of that was positive, and how much was negative?

Many people today didn't live through that time.

I remember King as someone who claimed to be non-violent, but everywhere he went, there were race riots, violence, and destruction.

I cannot remember him as a positive memory, at all.

August 27, 2011 10:48 am at 10:48 am |