Rep. Joe Wilson released from hospital
August 27th, 2011

Rep. Joe Wilson released from hospital

(CNN) – South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson was released from the hospital Saturday after being treated five days for an extended fever and "chronic viral-type infection," according to information released by his staff.

Last week, when Wilson's office announced that a series of appearances in his district would be rescheduled, they initially attributed his illness "to his recent possible contraction of Lyme disease."

Speaking to Kevin Cohen's radio show from his Lexington Medical Center hospital room Friday evening, the Republican congressman said, "Initially I thought it was due to a tick bite in the yard – I love working in the yard – but that wasn't it."

What Wilson thought was a tick bite turned out to be a little rash. He said he started feeling ill two weeks ago after spending a lot of time in the sun, first at the Pelion Peanut Party with his grandsons followed by a funeral in Orangeburg.

"I just thought that being in the sun all morning that I'd gotten overheated. But then I realized I had a fever, it's a low grade fever, and then I went to our family doctor," Wilson said on WVOC-560 AM.

Wilson was admitted to the West Columbia hospital last Monday and started undergoing a battery of tests to diagnose the infection that led to the fever.

"I'm learning things that hopefully will be helpful for other people. That is, it is not unusual to not be able to identify what the problem is and that after a period of time it will simply go away," Wilson said.

Wilson, a conservative Republican, is perhaps best known for shouting "You lie!" at President Barack Obama as the latter addressed a joint session of Congress in 2009. Wilson later apologized and was formally admonished by the House of Representatives.

W. Eric Dell, Wilson's chief of staff and counsel, said the congresman was released from the hospital in the early afternoon Saturday and is feeling better.

Wilson said on the radio show he anticipates a speedy recovery and is looking forward to his annual district bus tour rescheduled for September 26-30th. "I truly enjoy fulfilling the pledge I made to be accountable and accessible," he said.

Filed under: Joe Wilson • South Carolina
  1. P. Matthews

McLean, Virginia - I shall not forget Wilson's yell at the State of the Union message. I found his behavior as incredibly inappropriate as some other comments indicate. Conservative or Liberal - I don't think Wilson should be in Congress.

August 27, 2011 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  2. Progressive lady

All i can say to Wilson is, what goes around comes around! ONe cannot go around disrespecting our President and expect no consequences for their reprehensible behavior! I'm just so glad President Obama is a man who see's beyond a congressma n's dumb,foolish, idiotic,mis erable& silly outburst!

August 27, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  3. G

Nothing what a little shot of penicillin wouldn't cure.

August 27, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  4. sick of republican phonies

"Good to hear he is doing better despite the incredibly inappropriate and shameful liberal comments." Yeah, us liberals figure why should the tea bagger republicans be the only ones able to make incredibly inappropriate and shameful comments? Your congressman Joe Blowhard is no stranger ti inappropriate and shameful comments. He even said "I'm sorry" for them

August 27, 2011 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  5. Joe YOU LIE Wilson

Is this the guy who had the gall to heckle the president of the united states during the state of the union address? What an embarrassment. No matter who's president, you should show respect for the office, whether it's Barack Obama or George W Bush, especially if you're a representative. What a moron.

August 27, 2011 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  6. Michelle

I'm glad he's ok. Well. not really glad but I wonder what kind of people vote for him in SC. Have to be those tea party people. Those are the only people I can think of that don't have common sense.

August 27, 2011 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  7. canucken

I sure hope he has health insurance to cover his time in hospital.......oh, wait.

August 27, 2011 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  8. NC

I'm glad he has a good health care plan, unlike so many poor people in his home state.

August 27, 2011 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  9. Ex-GOP Con

Q: So Joe...are you against a socialistic healthcare system where the taxpayers has to foot the bill for others?

Joe Wilson: Yes, I am.

YOU LIE!!

How's that taxpayer paid healthcare benefit working for you Joe?

August 27, 2011 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  10. never1565

I bet he loved his stay in the hospital on the tax payer dollar!!! Yup, he gets free health care but thinks we should pay for our own!

August 27, 2011 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  11. SuRy

Taking advantage of his socialist free medical care I see!

August 27, 2011 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  12. John

I'm glad his government provided health-care helped him. Too bad he doesn't want it to help anyone else.

August 27, 2011 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  13. never1565

Hey Ed, it was his GRANDFATHER (his mother's father) who served in WWII! Please try to keep up, you putz!!!!

August 27, 2011 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  14. rwristheac

So glad to hear your congressman has the health insurance he denies to those he serves!

August 27, 2011 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  15. Claudia, Houston, Tx

If he's looking for sympathy, he won't get it, he's got what I'd call jerk disease.

August 27, 2011 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  16. Larry L

I wonder if he used his government healthcare plan to pay the hospital bill...

August 27, 2011 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  17. MikeH

Hmmm... "Chronic viral-type infection" sounds like Herpes. Or maybe Rabies, Wilson does seem kind of foaming-mouth ragey at times. Hope he appreciates his SOCIALIZED MEDICAL PROGRAM, paid for by us (fewer) working, taxpaying, Americans.

August 27, 2011 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  18. Ron

YOU LIE! You'll do anything not to face the pissed off people who voted for you thinking you were going to work for THEM instead of corporate America. But, hey...if you really are sick....imagine what it be like if you didn't have FREE HEALTHCARE!! Maybe, you'll return to DC a little wiser??

August 27, 2011 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  19. Ed is a Moron

Hey Ed – Obama never said his Dad fought in WWII...he said his mom's dad, i.e., his granddad fought in WWII, which he did. His dad was born in Kenya. Thought all you teabaggers knew that.

August 27, 2011 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  20. azmary

ED, Obama said his GREAT UNCLE served in WWII. Learn to read and/or listen to when people speak.

August 27, 2011 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  21. ironside

Hey Joe,
    Now what would you have done if you didn't have that Gov funded health care? Just walk it off, RIGHT?

How lame is this, man?

August 27, 2011 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  22. Jae

Only if we could go back to the original constitution prior to the civil war. He would not b working in the but his yard would look great!!!
    Ed ur so right cuz my mom only lost $40k within the last year in rertirement after putting in all her life ur an idiot, I mean a rethug I mean a racist

August 27, 2011 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  23. GonzoinHouston

I disagree with about 99% of what Rep. Wilson says, but I don't wish a serious illness or life-threatening situation on him. A good case of laryngitis, maybe, but nothing serious .

August 27, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  24. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

This man should never have been re-elected to the House. If he can't control his voice with an unfounded accusation on the House floor while the president is given an address, then what else might he do that is inappropriate? You should have wondered about that. I have never heard what his proof was about people here illegally getting health care.

August 27, 2011 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  25. Grand Oil (and Tea) Partiers

He's still a disrespectful poor excuse for a congressman, I doubt the hospital cured him of that.

August 27, 2011 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |