Bachmann points to 'great sense of humor' after God joke
August 30th, 2011

Bachmann points to 'great sense of humor' after God joke

(CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann defended her recent comments about natural disasters in Washington, D.C. serving as messages from God, saying she was joking.

"I have a great sense of humor and I think it's important to exhibit that humor sometimes when you are talking to people as well," Bachmann said Monday at a campaign event in Miami. "Of course I was being humorous when I said that."

Her reaction was similar to her campaign's response Monday.

The Minnesota Rep. received criticism following statements she made over the weekend that equated the recent earthquake and Hurricane Irene to acts of God.

"Washington, D.C. you'd think by now they'd get the message," Bachmann said at a town hall in Florida Saturday to laughs. "An earthquake, a hurricane, are you listening? The American people have done everything they possibly can, now it's time for an act of God and we're getting it."

At Monday's event, Bachmann said the remarks were intended to tell the president he is not listening to the American people.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. trashcup

Just a little Christian HUMOR – VERY little...and stupid.

August 30, 2011 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  2. David

Sorry Michele... but distinguishing poor humor from bad politics, intermixed with religious delusion, is difficult sometimes.

August 30, 2011 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  3. Terry Gloege

She may well have a sense of humor but it's a bit twisted. Now that I think about it, that picture of her and the corn dog was a bit twisted too – perhaps that was intentional as well.

August 30, 2011 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  4. JB21

Proof, a religious fanatic has no sense of humor.

August 30, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  5. John - NJ

Bachmann for President...ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha....now that is a Joke!

August 30, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  6. blftgk

So if Bachmann were POTUS we should we be sacrificing virgins to appease the gods?

August 30, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  7. Dale

Between Michelle and Sarah, I don't know which one is the better comedy act. These are the best and brightest women the GOP could come up with? The longer the two of these clowns are around, the better Obama's chances are in 2012.

August 30, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  8. cteckyw

We already knew he had a great sense of humor. He created her and Palin. Sadly, the joke is on the American public whom they've been inflicted upon.

August 30, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  9. Jack

Oh boy, the first faux pas of the election.
    We're not laughing with you Michelle. We're laughing at you.

August 30, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  10. 7o3y

To think i thought this woman was a LITTTLE smarter than Palin but i was definitely wrong....i havent heard her say something decently clever in about 6 monthes.

August 30, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  11. petalpusher

Natural disasters are never a joking matter. Too many people are devasted, lives are lost. Especially if you are trying to show that you can be a leader of our country, you shouldn't be making jokes. She lost my vote a long time ago, this just assures me I'm making the right choice. Obviously she has never lived through a hurricane.

August 30, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  12. Weasley

How many are dead as a result of hurricane Irene? Yeah, really funny Rep. Bachmann. You're just a riot. But we all know that you were not trying to be funny. You let your guard down for a brief moment, and the fundamentalist Bachmann, the True Bachmann spoke, and the poison in your mind seeped out of your mouth.

August 30, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  13. Pastafarian

If gawd gets credit for good weather, does s/he also get blame for bad weather?

August 30, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  14. Ken in NC

I must find myself in agreement with Michele Bachmann on this "Joke" issue. There clearly was a joke involved in her comment. The joke is Michele Bachmann.

August 30, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  15. Davidk

What is it with all these Republicans and their personal relationship with God? Bachmann has it. God has made his word known to Perry, and as for W...well God told him to invade Iraq. We should be extremely wary of politicians that say God told them such and such. Case for point....didn't God tell Osama bin Laden to bomb the world trade centers? Personally, I think they should all leave God out of it.

August 30, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  16. teepee

we gave Obama hell about his religious convictions...he never pushed them off on anyone....I say give her the same treatment...

August 30, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  17. Without Power

Thanks Michelle... that was hilarious.... unfortunately I couldn't read this from home since I have no power, going on 3 days, and won't have any for another four. I chuckled about this comment as I am desperately trying to save any food from going bad, trying to find places to take showers and getting to the laudry in order to wash clothes. I think my neighbor two blocks down, whose home was completely destoyed by a falling oak tree, will also find your flippant attitude hilarious also. Goodness where the heck is the Republican party, can't they stop this idiot?

August 30, 2011 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  18. teepee

anyone with any sense knows that it was a statement to the far right conserv...I hope the joke is on her in the end.

August 30, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  19. Eric

So it's then fair to point out that Katrina was punishment for the relection of Bush? Or that the Texas drought is punishment for electing Bush and Perry as governnors? Somehow I don't think anyone on the conservative, let alone Tea Party side, would accept the notion that either was a fair joke.

August 30, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  20. Marshall

What is not funny about Michelle Bachman's remark is that she was not joking. She believes that these natural disasters are punishment for sins. This is a woman who believes that science should be adulterated with religion, thereby making a mockery of both science and religion. And that's no laughing matter!

August 30, 2011 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  21. Doctor Strangelove

What's funny is the fact that God's always chastising the folks who don't agree with the soothsayers.

Somehow divine interpretation is never taken introspectively .- it's everyone else that's in the wrong.

Jesus was a liberal. Blessed are the meek.

August 30, 2011 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  22. gary stover

When Bachman made the original statement it was not a joke. BUT, now she'll lie about it. Not one once of integrity!

August 30, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  23. Tony 140

Please tell me why believing in God is considered so RADICAL by the Left. I think that this country and the world could use a bit more Christian virtues in their dealings with one another. My hats off to those that are of faith and that are not afraid to profess it. If I recall, free speech and freedom from religious persecution played significant parts in the development of this great Nation.

August 30, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  24. Bill in Florida

In other words, "Gee that remark didn't go over as planned. maybe I'll claim that I was joking!"

Loser! "Happy birthday Elvis!"

August 30, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  25. Deboyville

It's only a joke if everyone's laughing. No one's laughing, Michelle, and your so-called sense of humor is lousy. Not what we want in a leader of this country. You never looked presidential, and you're quickly becoming more and more questionable as a member of Congress. You're basically mean, Michelle, and your lack of concern or compassion for anyone less fortunate than you is becoming more and more apparent. You're not qualified to lead us, Michelle, and I hope your time in the spotlight passes quickly.

August 30, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |