Bachmann points to 'great sense of humor' after God joke
August 30th, 2011

Bachmann points to 'great sense of humor' after God joke

(CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann defended her recent comments about natural disasters in Washington, D.C. serving as messages from God, saying she was joking.

"I have a great sense of humor and I think it's important to exhibit that humor sometimes when you are talking to people as well," Bachmann said Monday at a campaign event in Miami. "Of course I was being humorous when I said that."

Her reaction was similar to her campaign's response Monday.

The Minnesota Rep. received criticism following statements she made over the weekend that equated the recent earthquake and Hurricane Irene to acts of God.

"Washington, D.C. you'd think by now they'd get the message," Bachmann said at a town hall in Florida Saturday to laughs. "An earthquake, a hurricane, are you listening? The American people have done everything they possibly can, now it's time for an act of God and we're getting it."

At Monday's event, Bachmann said the remarks were intended to tell the president he is not listening to the American people.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. Rev. Rick

@ Scott...Liberals hi-j-acking Katrina? Hahaha! As a (former) conservative, I must say the liberals didn't need to hi-j-ack anything, the Bush administration made a mess of that without any help from them. Bachmann is just continuing the tradition it seems.

August 30, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  2. james - St. Paul, MN

Those of us from Minnesota know that her comments were not a joke, nor ever intended as such. Her handlers will not be able to completely hide Ms. Bachmann's true character; a Presidential campaign includes too many unscripted moments when such honest comments will inevitably come out. We can only hope that the vast majority of Americans will come to fully grasp the nature of Ms. Bachmann's campaign, which wishes to impose her religious views on America. I have no personal grudge with Ms. Bachmann, but I want nothing to do with her closed-minded religious dogma, and I certainly do not believe this kind of dogma belongs in the White House.

August 30, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  3. GeorgeBos95

Michelle: God also has a sense of humor. He "told" you to become a political candidate.

He "told" the rest of us to enjoy the joke.

August 30, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  4. JohnSmith

Didn't Beck just get done spewing this dribble at the American public via his radio show?

August 30, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  5. Anthony

It is Bachmann and her fellow Republicans who are not listening to American people. Americans' No. 1 concern right now is jobs. Cutting government spending right now takes money out of people's pockets, hurts the economy and costs jobs.

August 30, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  6. Robin Bray

God' second biggest joke, Palin is number one, making a joke About God.

P.S there is not god. That's the biggest joke of all.

August 30, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  7. Nothing new here

The "joke" was in poor taste. I don't think that these hurricane victims are deserving of God's wrath.
    However, I would think that Mrs. Bachmann would at least show some professionalism, and courtesy to our fellow Americans who are struggling right now.

August 30, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  8. Richie P

What an idiot she is! Even a joke has to make some sense. The President was in Martha's Vinyard when Washington got the earthquake. As for the hurricane, the President got nothing compared to a millions of other people up and down the east coast. She is not funny, and it is just plain idiotic to try to make a joke saying these were targeted at the President.

August 30, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  9. Ana Q

There are two intersting things about her joke that have nothing to do with taste;

1. She is pointing out natural disasters and asking Congress to listen. Isn't this the best possible argument for someone who believes in AGW? Sadly she doesn't but this is exactly what someone who does believe in it would be saying. Hey Congress, what more disasters do you need to do something about climate change?

2. Her choosing to believe that God is punishing the American people for something is very disturbing. She has repeatedly used her religion to justify and dictate her agenda with is very dangerous for someone looking to occupy the presidency. Not to mention her blatant refusal of science and facts. Someone who makes decisions based on WWJD rather then, what do the facts tell us? is dangerous- pure and simple.

August 30, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  10. Coffee partier

I'm staring to realize that th antichrist won't necessarily be among us in the body of man....but

August 30, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  11. Coffee partier

I'm I'm starting to realize that the antichrist won't necessarily be among us in the body of man....but

August 30, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  12. ProperVillain

What a total buffoon. I'm tired of these brainless politicians who (apparently) don't even read the bible hijacking my beliefs for political gain. Why is someone this dumb running for office? More importantly, how ignorant does anyone need to be to even consider voting for her.
    This country makes me sad.

August 30, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  13. Linton

My goodness – this woman is certifiable. Imagine a Muslim saying the Christian God is full of vengence – then attempt to walk it back........

August 30, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  14. edward0

If this self-serving Evangelist has a sense of humor , it must be about her husband.
    Invoking God and religious rhetoric as she does is about as offensive as the Ayotollas and
    Islamic fundamentalists lashing out at the "unbelievers".
    bringing religious beliefs into politics is insupportable.

August 30, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  15. Retired Army in San Antonio

Wow.....just.....wow.

This lady is absolutely incredible......I mean......wow :-( .

August 30, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  16. TJeff1776

"I have a great sense of humor"......whoa.......self-praise AFTER puting tongue in motion BEFORE mind in gear is a product of immaturity. She was beginning to catch my attention BUT I'd better slow my train down and take a closer look here.

August 30, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  17. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Those "migraine drugs" she takes puts her in another World, time for Bachmann to get off the drugs and take an aspirin.

August 30, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  18. Linton

Scott says: "And yet liberals political hijacking of Katrina is as clean and pure as the wind driven snow. LOL hypocrites."

Hmmm, so you don't get it, do you Scott? did ANY lib ever say Katrina was payback for something they did wrong in NO?

maybe you should get yourself an education.

August 30, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  19. SixDegrees

"Of course I was being humorous when I said that."

Uh – no, you really weren't. It's possible that you meant for it to be humorous, but neither it nor you were.

August 30, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  20. Conrad Shull

If God brought us Hurricane Irene, what in H*ll brought us Bachman?

August 30, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  21. Lolo

These repugs/tea partiers are off the chain. Everything this president does they complain without knowing what makes the world go round. All this president has to say ids I want and they say I don't and their stupid followers have no clue that they are giving them the shaft. Everything was honky-dorry when Bush was messing up the country for eight years which they all gave him the red light to run us in the ditch. Now they hate everything the current president does not because of his policies, but because of his skin color. You people are pathetic. I cn not wait to cast my vote. The repugs and tea partiers are so stupid they do not realize that the rest of America is tired of their complaining and whining about nothing. We now see that all they care about is party, corporations and greed. All of you will be voted out.

August 30, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  22. BKrause

The "joke," (mostly on Bachmann) is which god?

August 30, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  23. Dr. Bach

this lady is nuts. i don't the people who lost their lives and all their property thinks she has good sense of humor. It's amazing the people like that can serve. What ru thinking minn?

August 30, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  24. RL

She's part of Washington too. Has she gotten the "message"?

August 30, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  25. Chedar

This woman Bacjkmann is a tragic case. Perry and the Romney belong to the Loonie Tunes. So there is no one left. The hopeful candidate I see here is Gov and Ambassador Job Huntsman. If he did not get nominated, I would like to see Huntsman running as Independent. There are many voters (not only independent) that is very dissatisfied in both parties. The center right and the center left. They all will vote for an independent candidate. I for one would like to see an Indepedent candidate running for the presidency of the United States.

August 30, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |