Bachmann points to 'great sense of humor' after God joke
August 30th, 2011

Bachmann points to 'great sense of humor' after God joke

(CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann defended her recent comments about natural disasters in Washington, D.C. serving as messages from God, saying she was joking.

"I have a great sense of humor and I think it's important to exhibit that humor sometimes when you are talking to people as well," Bachmann said Monday at a campaign event in Miami. "Of course I was being humorous when I said that."

Her reaction was similar to her campaign's response Monday.

The Minnesota Rep. received criticism following statements she made over the weekend that equated the recent earthquake and Hurricane Irene to acts of God.

"Washington, D.C. you'd think by now they'd get the message," Bachmann said at a town hall in Florida Saturday to laughs. "An earthquake, a hurricane, are you listening? The American people have done everything they possibly can, now it's time for an act of God and we're getting it."

At Monday's event, Bachmann said the remarks were intended to tell the president he is not listening to the American people.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. BinVA

I think Bachmann is an ignorant idiot and embarrassment to the nation. However, I also concluded from the video that she was obviously attempting a joke. To try to make a big deal out of this is just silly. Better to call her on her ignorant statements and hypocritical stances.

August 30, 2011 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. Davis Todd

Haaaa ha ha ha, god killed 25 people, Ha HAHAHAHAHAHAhahaha.

August 30, 2011 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  3. Mike in Canada

Hey Michelle, did you hear the one about the hurricane that killed 50 people? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh my sides...you kill me.

Opps, poor choice of words.

August 30, 2011 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  4. Me

It is better to learn now what she thinks is funny. Let her dig her own hole. Good bye Michele Palin!

August 30, 2011 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  5. Jamie from Riverside

Yes, we know you have a great sense of humor. We've all seen your husband.

August 30, 2011 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  6. MCD

Didn't think anyone could ever outdo Sarah Palin...man, was I wrong!

August 30, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. GreenJeans

Bachmann absolutely believes what she said. Only Damage Control turned it into a "joke".

August 30, 2011 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  8. tor5

There’s nothing wrong with differences of opinion, but isn’t it amazing how some people end up members of congress or governors? I mean, to actually argue that we shouldn’t pay our debts, that creationism is just as scientific as evolution, or to “joke” about God destroying cities and killing people because He doesn’t like government. What happened to the good sense of the American people?

August 30, 2011 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  9. Raymond Veers

Ridicule her. Misquote her. Play Gotcha.Publish all of the uncomplementary photos of her you wish. It won't change peoples minds. Balance the budget. Take the weight of all of the social programs off of our backs. Secure our borders. Defend our laws. Bring back the space program. Fund and support our military. Denounce pervervison – Gay Marriage and Abortion. Defend marriage. I Couldn't care less about the Tea Party. I'm 3rd generation Hispanic. I'm American and I'm tired of it. I'm voting for her or Perry, whoever wins.

August 30, 2011 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  10. Shannon

What could be funnier than people losing loved one, their homes and other belongings, baggers sure have a wierd idea of funny. This woman is sick, she thinks it's ok to laugh about things like this. I personally don't believe she was joking, but she thought this was an easy way out of her blunder, of course she only made it worse. She can't just apologize for her remarks, because Republicans never accept responsibility for their words are their actions, so instead she offends the majority of the country, and is to stupid to realize she isn't funny.

August 30, 2011 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  11. Jim970

All the furor only reminds me how many humorless people, looking for any excuse to attack, there are in this country. Everything that anyone (even a politician) says doesn't have to be taken literally. Turn your hatred down a few notches.

August 30, 2011 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  12. buskaman

Michelle B. is definitely the best looking Presidential Candidate ever!

August 30, 2011 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  13. ED FL

I am glad she admitted it was humor,it will be easier for the jokes of the people that say they are supporting her. Their are a couple of southern states that might lock her up as a joke.

August 30, 2011 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  14. coder

typical politician

August 30, 2011 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  15. mcp123

Michelle,

Irene was obviously gods doing because he hates freedoms...homosexuals and anyone with half a brain who doesn't believe the creationist myth.

That'll be the constant excuse of the religious right if they ever get their hands on the presidency. If there is a god.... or not... please save us from these nutjobs America.

August 30, 2011 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  16. poiuytre

If these dumb teabaggers would ever admit they made a mistake I would have even an ounce of respect for them but instead they gloss over the incredibly insensitive crap they say and make excuses. I hate that.

August 30, 2011 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  17. ED FL

Her sense of humor was apparent when she introduced her husband. Look how lucky the people of Minnesota are they can get rid of her and save money by closing her and her husbands seat and buisness that thrives on government subsidies that they receive based on her political position as[ I GUESS] a represenentative .

August 30, 2011 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  18. aksdad

It's even funnier to see the humorless people continue to be offended. Joke's on you! Ha ha ha HA HA HAAAA!

August 30, 2011 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  19. Hubert J. Farnsworth

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

August 30, 2011 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  20. nuser

This is one sick lady! Little children tortured , murdered, people buried alive , 9/11 and the Holocaust That is an act of God?
    Wait , just a joke right?

August 30, 2011 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  21. mike_t

Next time there's a disaster in Minnesots, I'm sure she'll be the first one to tell the Federal government to keep it's God-forsaken relief programs out of her state.

August 30, 2011 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  22. Dave

She was taking a line from the great Pat Robertson who said that these natural disasters is a "sign from God".
    Anyhow, when a Democrat makes a joke like this Republicans cry and demand some sort of punishment, when a Republican makes a joke like this, they just say "can't you take a joke?".
    We know a Republican is going to be voted into office in 2012, so let's all do the best we can to make sure they fail and make sure they're a one term Repub. president.

August 30, 2011 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  23. dondondon

actually, the part she and pat robertson and glen beck don't seem to get is that it's not god, but mother nature here.. now I usually don't associate earthquakes with human activity, but a lot of knowlegable people that know a lot about earthquakes are looking into the possibility that fracking (not god ) may have had something to do with it.

August 30, 2011 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  24. Jean Sartre

Well, rarely would I find myself in agreement with someone so far “out there” as Bachmann; however, I do find the whole concept of GOD simply ludicrous... it was probably ZEUS, just playing around...

August 30, 2011 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  25. Chach

Of course this story is nowhere to be found on Faux News. To be fair, I actually watched the video. I am completely anti-Bachman and anti-Tea-Bag. So don't think I am defending this idiotic excuse for a candidate in any way. But, I came away from the video with the feeling that she may have been making an attempt to "appear" to be making joke, while at the same time making what she believes is a broader and more imortant point. I'm not sure what that point actually is.

But, I do think that she was definitely playing to both sides. Most of her Bible thumping, mouth-breathing, anti-intellectual brainless flock will love her for saying what she did and accept what she said as truth word-for-word. But she said it with just enough sarcasm so as to give her cover for the other idiots that get off on blaming everything on anything bad on Obama and Liberals.

In her heart, she meant it, and she loved saying it. She loves to breed hate and contempt. She is not shy about saying that her faith and G*d guide her. So it's perfectly natural for her to believe that G*d actually pays attention to US Politics enough to take the time out from everything else going on in the universe to cause an earthquake that did almost nothing and whip up a hurricane that didn't seem to discriminate between either party, race or religion. She's just THAT crazy.

If there really IS an all powerful, all loving and just G*d, how is possible for something like Michelle Bachmann to happen. It only makes believe a tiny bit more in the devil than anything else. If you are out there G*d, please help.

August 30, 2011 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |