Rick Perry's love/hate relationship with Social Security
August 30th, 2011

Rick Perry's love/hate relationship with Social Security

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) – Rick Perry is not a fan of Social Security - or is he?

The Texas governor and 2012 presidential candidate wrote in his 2010 book "Fed Up!" that the program is a "crumbling monument to the failure of the New Deal" that has been wrongly assigned a "mythical notion of salvation."

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Rick Perry • Social Security
  1. Rudy NYC

The problem with Social Security is that the "problem" has been grossly overblown.

Medicare/Medicaid are the real problems, but right wingers are trying to throw everything into one basket and declare all of it bad. SSI has its' own accounts, which have run surpluses. Which people like Reagan spent on tax cuts claiming, "It's the people's money."

One major problem with that reasoning is that it is a carefully crafted deception. The funds were collected from the middle class, but the tax cuts went to the wealthy, who didn't pay a dime into the fund. Can you say war on middle class?

August 30, 2011 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  2. A True Centrist

This President has failed so miserably that I am in the camp of "anyone but Obama". Too bad the Dems can't get Hillary to run against him in the primary, I may have considerd voting for her against most of the folks in the GOP field. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure where I'm voting and it's not for Obama.

August 30, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  3. gt

if the money was in a lock box and not spent we would be ok.....its not..

August 30, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  4. PERRY/PALIN 2012

We have to get behind Perry and hope he chooses Palin - the 20-30 year olds want to keep their money, and they obviously are willing to take care of their parents (now 40 and 50) so lets stop the PONZI Scheme NOW. We can keep the SS already paid by the older people and give more tax breaks to corporations. Our 401Ks will grow like crazy, and the old folks can just die early.

August 30, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  5. Rudy NYC

Oh, I get it. Conservatives plan long term strategies, like "starve the beast" to kill entitlement programs. I see another strategy as they convert our democratic republic into theocratic plutocracy. They are trying to change the this country from USA to USCA, the "United Secularist Corporations of America"

August 30, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  6. Rudy NYC

A True Centrist wrote:

-------------
    They're baaack. Remember the fake pro-Hillary bloggers in 2008, who were actually neocons? I would like for anyone who can explain how the Stimulus failed. It avoided another Depression. Raised GDP at least 5 points out of the negative, and into the positive. It stopped the massive month-to-month job losses. We actually 200k monthly jobs growth until Republicans took control of the House and let the Tea Party have its' way.

August 30, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  7. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

He flips and then he flops.
    Sounds like somebody else we all know..........wait for it...........YEP that's right ladies and gents: Mitt Romney.

Perry/Romney 2012
    Flip/Flop and Flop/Flip 2012

August 30, 2011 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  8. DJ Central Florida

Rick Perry's closet is so full of Skeletons, it rattles like a Marimba whenever he breathes. How can anyone believe a man who sets up a scheme where Texas benefits from school teachers deaths but the Teachers Don't.

August 30, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  9. DJ Central Florida

Perry's not ashamed to stand up on the stage and lie and criticize using religion as a hook. He is every bit as much of a scoundrel as he looks and acts like he is.

August 30, 2011 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  10. Lynda/Minnesota

"We need to decide - are we going to raise the age of eligibility ... and literally have this good, thoughtful conversation about the program and what we really want that program to be," Perry said in Iowa."

Sure, Ricky. Whatever. Tell you what. Decide which postion you are now taking – book sales rhetoric or campaign rhetoric – and get back to us, OK?

@Rudy. They've been back for awhile now. Can't imagine what they think they're accomplishing.

August 30, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  11. Sniffit

And another thing...CNN even glossed the whole story in a pleasant tone to avoid looking overly critical, but the facts are still there and THEY ARE TERRIBLY INCONVENIENT FOR PARRY, which is why it bothers you and makes you think it's biased...after all, inconvenient facts were meant to be ignored so we can comfortably continuing believing our fantasies, not held up for scrutiny so we must face the need to adapt to reality. FACTS: Parry wrote a book that excoriates SS as part of a welfare/entitlement/New Deal economic apocolypse, but because he's now running for POTUS, he's greatly tamed taht language and is hiding his intents and beliefs about SS behind superficially reasonable sounding rhetoric...and, what's more, he admits wanting to raise the retirement age, likes the idea of means testing and has even advocated privatizing SS. Despite CNN's smooth-brained presentation of those facts, they are still important for people to know in understanding what a vote for him would mean.

August 30, 2011 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  12. DJ Central Florida

I wish the Republicans would give us some choices. Their field of candidates is pretty vapid and their promises for future government look even bleaker.

August 30, 2011 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  13. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@A True Centrist

August 30, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
    *********************************************************************************************************************************************

Oh, yes, I remember you guys. The PUMAs. LOL. Neocons are easily sniffed out. You fail.

August 30, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  14. SecedingfromTexas

PERRY/PALIN 2012 says "......and the old folks can just die early".
    ************************
    Not only is this the dumbest thing I have ever heard, it is crass, selfish, and downright mean. In fact, the whole
    statement is something right out of the Palin/Bachmann mentality. No substance, no compassion, no rationale,
    no deep thinking, just more hot air.
    As for Perry, this guy can give two speeches at one time; he is very adept at talking out of both sides of his
    mouth.
    Tea Party? No thank you.

August 30, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  15. Sniffit

"It avoided another Depression. Raised GDP at least 5 points out of the negative, and into the positive. It stopped the massive month-to-month job losses. We actually 200k monthly jobs growth until Republicans took control of the House and let the Tea Party have its' way."

I'm suprised the moderators even let you post that. Those are inconvenient facts and the MSM has sworn to the Masters of the Universe that they will avoid reporting raw data and facts that show how much Obama and the Dems policies over the past 2.5 years have actually helped by preventing a worse disaster and by turning the disaster around...not to mention raw data and facts about where the deficit and debt numbers really come from, whose policies are really to blame and how much GOP policies have hampered the recovery. The numbers don't lie...but the purposeful avoidance and ommission of reporting about them IS A LIE.

August 30, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  16. Sniffit

"I've said it before on this site and I will say it again. I'm no fan of Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann and the likes but when it comes to the GOP field, CNN may as well be part of the Obama re-election campaign. Honestly, can your bias show any more? "

Please explain to everyone how this is biased. No, really, you should have to explain that with some sort of analysis as opposed to just a conclusory statement. Parry is running about the country making statements that are not only contrary to what he has previously said in his book and in public, but alot of what he is saying, now, previously and in his book is self-contradictory and very VERY extreme. For once, CNN is being slightly objective and reporting facts that people should be aware of in forming their understanding of an issue, instead of simply giving Parry or Bachman or Jaberwocky Barbie free publicity with some fluff article about their latest magic ideology-powered bus tour down Teatroll Lane or uncritically helping them disseminate their baseless, knee-jerk criticisms of Obama or their unicorn fart talking points about how the economy works or the invisible man in the sky's peurile fascination with what we do in our bedrooms.

August 30, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  17. MTATL

Speaking of schemes. I would like Mr. Perry to explain about Horseshoe Bay and how much he made of that shady land deal. I also would like him to break down how Texas emerging technology funds went to his campaign supporters and friends. The more I read about this guy on Texas newspaper and news sites the more like a crook he sounds and the less I want him near the national treasury. No need for another Nixon in the Whitehouse. I read all these comments how President Obama failed and not one of those folks that blame President Obama put one single piece of responsibility on Congress. It’s as if they don't even know that there are 435 elected officials in the House and 100 elected officials in the Senate that make up the same government that President Obama is a part of (3 BRANCHS – EXECUTIVE, LEGISLATIVE AND JUDICIAL = FEDERAL GOVERNMENT). Until we start holding each member of Congress up to the same scrutiny as we do the President there will be no real change.

August 30, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  18. Voice of Reason

Rick – you cant hide from your own words. You wrote them. YOU clearly stated in black and white that SS was 'unconstitutional', and that it should be done away with. NOW you are waffling and saying things like, 'I meant that we should have a conversation about what options we might have to possibly consider looking into doing something about Social Security...' Yeah right. Peddle your waffles somewhere else you spineless wannabe.

August 30, 2011 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  19. Woman In California

Another government welfare recipient speaking. Now that he doesn't need it anymore he can't stand it. Please.

Give me BACK what I've already paid for the last 30 years and I'll be satisfied. IF this is not the plan, I'll expect my "entitlement" when it's due and I'll go against ANYONE who tries to take it away.

August 30, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  20. RCM

Another joke from Texas. Always thought the GOP could come up with a better candidate but they seem to be running with the wired ones.

August 30, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  21. We ALL Know, Mami

Here we go again. The slick hair-do speaks again. Yay!

August 30, 2011 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |