Democratic 'super committee' members meet
August 31st, 2011

Democratic 'super committee' members meet

Washington (CNN) - The six Democrats on the so called "super committee" were scheduled to meet via conference call on Wednesday afternoon, according to two Democratic Congressional sources.

The Democrats participating in the call include the panel's co-chair Sen. Patty Murray, D-Washington, Sen. Max Baucus, D-Montana, Sen. John Kerry, D-Massachusetts, Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Maryland, Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-California, and Rep. Jim Clyburn, D-South Carolina.

"They are doing a 12:30 call that will just be a continuation of discussions on logistics – meeting schedule and timeline – as well as continued talks on strategy for working with Republicans to come together around a balanced and bipartisan plan," one aide told CNN.

The 12-member super committee was created in the legislation enacted earlier this month to raise the debt ceiling and reduce the deficit. It is charged with coming up with a plan to reduce the deficit another $1.5 trillion over the next decade by Thanksgiving. If a majority of the panel approves a proposal it would need to be approved by both chambers of Congress.

Wednesday's telephone meeting follows a lengthy in-person meeting that the six Republicans on the panel held on Capitol Hill on Tuesday.

Aides told CNN the full super committee has not scheduled its first meeting yet, but it is required to meet by September 16th.

Filed under: Congress • Debt • Deficit • Deficit commission
  1. logic in LA

I said last week the Republicans should not be meeting alone and this week I say the same about the Democrats.
    STOP PLOTTING AND SIT DOWN AND WORK TOGETHER!

August 31, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  2. Aaron

I wish I could be more optimistic but I see nothing but finger pointing and talking points coming from this committee under the label of so called "negotiations." Negotiations that the republicans will pull out of in the final days citing the democrats lack of willingness to compromise–that is accept all republican proposals without alteration.

August 31, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  3. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country

ahhh... Do they really need to do anything more than read the GAO report on the duplication of programs in the government bureaucracy??? Thought I'd heard it was at least $100 BILLION a YEAR. That's an easy TRILLION over 10 years! That leaves a paltry $50 Billion a year to cut. I think Medicare/Medicaide fraud is far more than that.

August 31, 2011 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  4. Kevin in Atlanta

I'm fairly certain that this 12 person super committee will spend the first day arguing over what to order for dinner.

If ANYTHING positive comes from this committee, I'll be holy surprised...

August 31, 2011 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  5. ja

the super party need to grow some balls, when it comes to dealing with the republicans, play as dirty as they do

August 31, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  6. Claudia, Houston, Tx

There is something wrong with this picture, Republicans meet separately one day and the next day Democrats do the same. This is no more than a smaller group of Congress, the end.

August 31, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  7. ConservaFASCISTS/TEAliban

As a progressive liberal, I'm not impressed with these members. Van Hollen can stay. However, just as the right has their radical fringe, that's who I will like to see on this committe. People like Sen. Sanders, Rep. Grahalva, Leader Pelosi, Sen. Gillibrand, Rep. Waters and Rep. Clyburn. I'd definitely would have loved if Rep. Weiner was on it, but that's another story. I don't want compromise! We have compromised and sacrificed ENOUGH. Time to draw a line in the sand. Take the most extreme position on EVERYTHING. If they can do it, why can't we?

August 31, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  8. ConservaFASCISTS/TEAliban

When the government gets into a jam, the first thing the fascists TEAliban Teapublicans want to do is cut the social safetynet programs. Why don't they ever want to cut defense? Why not end oil subsidies and close tax loopholes? I hear Gov. Yeehaw Perry refer to Social Security as a ponzi scheme. SSI has a surplus and TEApublicans just love to nickel and dime out of it. KEEP YOUR FASCIST HANDS OUT OF THE COOKIE JAR.

August 31, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |