Palin meets diehard supporters on eve of big speech
September 2nd, 2011

Palin meets diehard supporters on eve of big speech

Urbandale, Iowa (CNN) – Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin greeted hundreds of her most diehard supporters in an Iowa restaurant on Friday evening, the night before she headlines a buzzed-about tea party rally on Saturday.

Enthusiastic Palinistas who trekked from places as far away as Dallas and San Diego for Saturday’s rally jammed into the Machine Shed, a popular restaurant in Urbandale, for a meet-up event organized by Conservatives4Palin, the online destination for all things Palin.

Many of them recognized each other from the Conservatives4Palin usernames or Twitter handles that were scribbled onto nametags slapped onto pro-Palin T-shirts.

Palin was met by a reporter from Radio Iowa as she and her husband Todd arrived at the event around dinnertime after driving out from Des Moines.

Asked to opine on the current field of GOP presidential hopefuls, Palin mischievously claimed that another candidate could still join the fray.

“Happy with the field of candidates,” Palin said. "I always think that there’s room for more, though, because spirited debate and more competition will allow an even better discourse and a more rigorous discourse that the public deserves.”

As she and her husband, Todd, entered the restaurant, they were mobbed by the crowd and showered with repeated chants of “Run, Sarah, Run!”

Dozens of admirers whipped out their smartphones and digital cameras to document the scene, while an editor back at Conservatives4Palin curated the flood of tweets and reporter dispatches coming out of the event.

Palin worked the space for nearly an hour, posing for pictures and signing autographs. She did not address the crowd, but California attorney Peter Singleton, the self-appointed Palin political guru in Iowa, rallied the troops.

“There is no one who has the political courage and vision of this woman,” he said. “If she runs I believe she will win the nomination and I will believe she will win the general election.”

The Palins and their staff left soon after and returned to their Des Moines hotel.

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Sarah Palin
  1. Pditty

What is CNN obsession with Palin? Is this a news origination or a tabloid? While companies like Gibson are being extorted and bullied by this administration CNN is telling you about Palin 24/7 I just don't spend much time here anymore.

September 3, 2011 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  2. Martin

"Run, Sarah, Run". Away.

September 3, 2011 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  3. Bessy

They must be just as crazy as she is. I wouldn't cross the street to meet up with this ditz. Life is too short to use up precious moments on worthless trash.

September 3, 2011 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  4. R.L. Montoya

Let me guess, Kool-Aid was served?

September 3, 2011 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  5. Jeffer65

Die hard fans whom Palin is just stringing along and using. She won't run, and even if she does, she will not get far.

September 3, 2011 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  6. sparky

They all arrived on one short bus

September 3, 2011 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  7. Debbie from Arizona

Peter Singleton believes that Palin can win the general election? Thank goodness, the majority of Americans are not delusional, as this man seems to be.

September 3, 2011 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  8. pulsars

Sigh.... another dog and pony show, or should I say dog and "phony" show.

September 3, 2011 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  9. LLOYD ROBERTS

We are doomed. I have many women working for me that have intelligence, dignity, hard to acquire degree's, wealth of information about history and the complexity of the US financial system, and non of them are running for president. How this happened to us, the US, is beyond me. Bachmann, Perry, Palin, Cain, Santorum, what happened to this once intellectual party of true limited government. I'll tell you what happened, southernization causing religion intertwined with politics. We will never be America again

September 3, 2011 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  10. CedarRapids

"If she runs I believe she will win the nomination and I will believe she will win the general election"
    He then went on to say 'if our lizard overlords who live in underground bases allow it' and then claimed he also believes in faeries and leprechauns.

September 3, 2011 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  11. david mann

NEEEVER gonna happen. The word "DEBATE" strikes terror in sister sarah's heart "you betcha" wink! wink!

September 3, 2011 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  12. Donaldbain

Nothing like having "dozens of admirers" when running for President of the USA. Out of 200 million + voters, that is quite a piece of the action. Get real and disappear.

September 3, 2011 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  13. GinBR

Throughout history, there have been lunatics that have become infatuated with individuals that are considered dangerous by normal people. Dictators such as Hitler, Stalin, and Sadaam, as well as serial killers such as Manson, and Bundy have "followers" that hang on to their every word and action. That is why there is no suprise that there would be "people" excited about Palin still hanging on to the spotlight. Their minds are totally warped into thinking that Sara is a factor and could actually win the Presidency. I would be concerned having these type of people as a doctor, lawyer, or teacher of children because they are unstable. If you work with or around these type of people be very careful because you might find yourself in a hostage type of situation.

September 3, 2011 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  14. NoMoPalin

"Run Sarah Run". She's already done that. She ran away from her responsibilities as Governor of Alaska.

September 3, 2011 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  15. peter

If the Americans ever have the insane thought of electing this dumb bimbo to the white house, Canada will build a wall to keep the illegal Americans from trying to escape here!!! You have to be really, really dumb to actually take this slut seriously. Re-load, my @ss!!

September 3, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  16. T. Rollings

Sarah Palin is so graet, I'm glad there is still a place for intelligent discussion in our current political atmosphere.

September 3, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  17. nintex

I hope she enters the republican race soon so we can start hearing her specific plans for getting this country "back on track." I really, really want to see her in a debate with Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul. She's backed herself into a corner with her teasing about running for president; now it's time for her to put up or shut up. Can't wait to see what happens next!

September 3, 2011 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  18. Scott

This is not a political movement, it's a cult.

September 3, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  19. No Name

Note the news said " hundreds of fans"...lol...that is about all that is left of her supporters...READ THE BOOK by Frank Bailey...you will find out the REAL TRUTHS about the PALINS and their addictions and problems...can anyone say Celeberity Rehab???

September 3, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  20. EddyL

Are these diehard fans as stupid as Palin is?

September 3, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  21. twiddly

please run, please get the GOP nomination, so we're guaranteed another 4yrs without a GOP prez

not crazy about Obama lately, but anything is better than any republican (sigh... so sad)

September 3, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  22. troll hunter

"If she runs I believe she will win the nomination and I will believe she will win the general election." i want some of what this guy is smoking!!

September 3, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  23. troll hunter

“There is no one who has the political courage and vision of this woman,” you betcha... all courageous visionaries quit their jobs when the going gets tough.

September 3, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  24. Absolute Gr8

When shouted " Run Sarah Run", Palin said to herself in middle of the crowd that these people are dumb to follow me, but I am not dumb to follow their suggestion. I know I will be beaten to death, as I know nothing in details about how to solve the real world problems except I can see Russia from my home.

September 3, 2011 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  25. A keen observer

Who cares what the Quitta from Wasilla does? She's last year's news!

September 3, 2011 10:50 am at 10:50 am |