Paul hits the bike trail
September 2nd, 2011

Paul hits the bike trail

Lake Massabesic, New Hampshire (CNN) – Politicians often seek to portray youthful vigor, but at age 76 Congressman Ron Paul may have to work harder than others.

He showed Friday he's up to the challenge.

Paul, who famously rides his bicycle for exercise throughout the sticky, sweltering summers in Houston, Texas, invited some New Hampshire staffers and reporters on an hour-long bike ride around scenic Lake Massabesic outside Manchester, New Hampshire Friday afternoon.

The sun was shining, a breeze was blowing, and the temperature in the North Eastern state was a temperate 72 degrees.

"It looks like the temperature's about perfect," Paul said, when a reporter asked if he missed the Houston humidity, though he noted summer workouts weren't all bad. "I think when you ride in all the heat and humidity you burn calories faster."

The wiry fiscal iconoclast tries to walk three or four miles in the morning and ride ten to 15 miles on his bicycle in the evenings. He reported his resting heart rate was 58 to 62 beats per minute and his blood pressure was 120 over 70 or 65.

Before kicking off, Paul spoke to a small group of reporters who were not dressed for riding. The long-time congressman, who hosted a town hall in the first-in-the-nation primary state Thursday night and has spent time retail politicking here, said he welcomed the visit of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on Labor Day.

"The more the merrier," he said. "They just divide up all the opposition. They don't take votes from me."

He said he was surprised and encouraged by the groundswell of support for his campaign in New Hampshire.

"Each time I come up here we get new people, new support," Paul said. "The crowds get bigger. We always plan to have a little gathering, get 50 people together, and sometimes we get hundreds of people together."

After the ride, Paul careened back into the parking lot without having broken a sweat. He joked that during the hour ride he'd covered 32 miles (it was actually about 7.4).

Asked by the media if the ride might serve a metaphor for his campaign, Paul happily obliged.

"We're in good shape and ready and raring to go," he said.

Filed under: 2012 • New Hampshire • Ron Paul
  1. kenny hayes

i find it very funny that the democrats have to find anything they can to slam ron paul. have democrats/paulhaters always whine like my 3 year old does? ha ha ha ron paul 2012

September 2, 2011 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  2. Geez I need to get in shape.

He's 40 years older than me and could probably run circles around me. I haven't ridden a bike in so long.

September 2, 2011 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  3. Mike

LOL at the helmet comment. Yes, it would infringe on our freedoms to force everyone to wear a helmet when riding a bike. Should we pass a law to keep us safe from everything that can hurt us? I suppose we should outlaw smoking and alcohol. You should have to wear a helmet when you go roller skating or ice skating too. Playing hockey or football should be outlawed altogether because they are still not safe, even with a helmet. You should also have to wear a helmet when driving a car. We need to outlaw going to the beach without sun screen because of skin cancer. Etc. etc. etc.

We are all going to die one day. We don't need laws to protect us from ourselves, or try to keep us alive as long as possible.

"The most honest man in Congress"
    "The champion of the Constitution"
    "The taxpayers' best friend"

Ron Paul 2012!

September 2, 2011 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  4. phearis

@ GOP Reality Check – And yet ..... you're willing and eager to vote for Sarah Palin. ~giggle~

September 2, 2011 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  5. NameSteve

Please wake up America Here he is the perfect man at just the right time in history please tell me my countrymen are not foolish enough to lose this chance to restore our republic

September 2, 2011 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  6. Brett 4Liberty

It's Ron Paul versus Wall Street Banksters.

The establishment wants to throw any warm body they can to try and stop his momentum.

Barack of the Banks, YOU'RE FIRED!

September 2, 2011 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  7. Walt

Every time I hear someone call Ron Paul "crazy," I get giddy that another scared and threatened establishment type is feeling the pressure.

September 2, 2011 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  8. steve a , new braunfels tex

Ron Paul is the ONLY republican I will ever vote for. To hell with Perry.

September 2, 2011 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  9. proudmemberofglobalzero

I'm sorry....I grew up in Houston. I walked 1 mile to my stables every morning before school to round up my horses from the pasture and feed them. I walked back home, took a shower, walked to school, walked back home, walked back to the stables. I didn't do this without the heat and humidity that Houston has to offer. The man is a joke.

September 2, 2011 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  10. TheTraveler

Ron Paul is a populist, pure and simple. He isn't the answer this country needs and he's failed in each and every attempt he's made to gain the Presidency. At 76, whether he bikes, jogs or does 500 push-ups a day, he's getting to be a little too old for the job IMO.

September 2, 2011 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  11. Mark

Has any noticed how the first comments on a mainstream media piece about Ron Paul always start negative? They turn in Ron Paul's favor and stay that way.

September 2, 2011 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  12. Ken

To all of the people who blame "deregulation" for the mess we are currently in be reminded that the last significant piece of "deregulation" was the repeal of portion of Glass Steagall. Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act effectively removed the separation that previously existed between investment banking which issued securities and commercial banks which accepted deposits. The deregulation also removed conflict of interest prohibitions between investment bankers serving as officers of commercial banks. Let me remind all that this law was signed into effect by a Democratic president (Clinton) and supported by your current VP Biden. Read Paul's numerous books and writings on many subjects and I bet you will change your mind.

September 2, 2011 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  13. MakeMyDay

For all you Ron Paul naysayers out there just go ahead and keep voting for your establishment candidates that will sell the country out the moment they get into office. I hope you enjoy living in poverty in your retirement as the giant corrupt wealth extraction machine in Washington DC keeps sucking the life out of this country.

September 2, 2011 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  14. Jerry

haha CNN is there anything you won't try? HE RODE 25 MILES!! not 2.5!!!! Get it right!

Oh and... GO RON PAUL !! END THE WARS!!

September 2, 2011 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  15. Hec Jervae

Ron Paul is an honest man! He is right on the big issues of the wars and the Federal Reserve. He is a man who thinks about how to make the world a more peaceful place – as president, I think he could do that. America would be proud to have Ron Paul as president and the rest of the world would be proud of America for putting him there.

September 2, 2011 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  16. Greg

Big supporter of Ron Paul – Him living a active healthy life style is just one of many ways he leads by example.
    He has my vote for sure!

September 2, 2011 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  17. Brian Paul

If Ron Paul would have been elected 12 years ago this country would be well on its way to prosperity! I don't care if your a Democrat, Republican or Independent, Ron Paul would be a fantastic leader. In fact I believe he is the only leader out of the entire pack. Lets see, Bring the troops home (libs will love that) End the war on Drugs ( libs will love that) Be fiscally responsible? (The whole stupid country will hate that because the have no spine) Get the federal government out of peoples lives ( the Libs will hate that one!) Make people pay there own way? (The libs will hate that one too)!!Darm it! guess he won't get much Democrat vote. They are not smart enough!

September 2, 2011 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  18. Scarlett

He's in good shape! I can't wait until 2012 when he's our president!

September 2, 2011 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  19. SciGuy

Wear a helmet, if you want, Wiener, your choice. Dr Paul and I will ride with the free wind flowing through our hair.

September 2, 2011 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  20. Ashley

The other GOP's should take him up on the challenge in TX!

September 2, 2011 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  21. TO ALL RON PAUL DOUBTERS AND HATERS!!!

read a book for once. thanks.

September 2, 2011 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  22. ThsIsNotReal

@ The Greedy Old Pigs have lost their minds!
    Ummm, where in this article does it say anything about weight loss? All he said was that you burn calories faster. I do not know if that's true or not, but that doesn't mean he thought that losing water weight meant he was burning calories.

September 2, 2011 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  23. SciGuy

Reality check: the joke's on you. Dr Paul has both his foreign and domestic policy in line with the Constitution. As it should be. It is the govt in bed with the corporations that is so destructive. And Dems and Repubs are both in that big bed; Dr Paul is a rare exception.

Go Ron Paul 2012 ! ! ! !

September 2, 2011 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  24. C. Howe Yulikit

And he rode it without wearing a helmet. What a great doctor/leader/example he is! And if he cracked his empty skull open I'm sure he'd have no problem charging the medical expenses to his free government healthcare that he wants to make sure no one else gets.

September 2, 2011 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  25. Sylvestor Johnson

I'm sure it was 25, not 2.5. You kids at CNN need to watch the grammar. 1 hour long on a bike is NOT 2.5 miles.

I also think most of the other candidates couldn't do a whole hour.

Good for you grandpa! You got my vote.

September 2, 2011 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |