TRENDING: Comedian tells 'special needs' joke at Palin event
September 3rd, 2011

TRENDING: Comedian tells 'special needs' joke at Palin event

Washington (CNN) - In comedy, timing is everything.

And minutes before Sarah Palin, former Alaska governor and parent of a child with Down syndrome, made her much-anticipated speech in Iowa, Los Angeles-based comedian Eric Golub told a joke that compared liberal political ideology to “special needs children.”

After commending Palin on raising her son Trig while balancing other responsibilities, Golub made the analogy.

“For that reason alone, the left should worship Sarah Palin and adopt her as one of their own,” Golub said. “Because the leftist haters are an entire political ideology of special needs children.”

Golub continued by saying that liberals are needy and feel entitled.

“And unlike Trig, they aren't very lovable,” Golub said. “All you hear from them is give me, give me, I need, I need, I want, I deserve, I’m entitled – no you don’t.”

Since announcing she had a child with Down syndrome in 2008, Palin has defended the special needs community in a number of instances.

In February 2010, Palin called for Rahm Emanuel, then-White House chief of staff, to be fired after he called liberal groups thinking of running ads against Democratic lawmakers “retarded.”

When an episode of Fox’s “Family Guy” mocked Trig that same month, Palin wrote in a post to her Facebook followers that it felt like “a kick in the gut.”

She also included a response to the "Family Guy" episode from her daughter, Bristol Palin.

“As a culture, shouldn’t we be more compassionate to innocent people – especially those who are less fortunate,” Bristol wrote. “Shouldn’t we be willing to say that some things just are not funny?”

Palin never mentioned the remark while speaking at the tea party-affiliated “Restoring America” rally in Indianola, Iowa.

Charlie Gruschow, co-founder of Tea Party of America, said he never heard the comment or met the comedian before the event.

"Some of the people on staff had heard him speak before and thought he would be a good person to break up and entertain the crowd," Gruschow said.

This isn't the first time Golub made the comment. He also used it while speaking at a 2010 convention for the conservative organization Young America's Foundation.

Palin's team could not be reached for comment.

CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin • Tea Party
  1. Rick

I watched one of Eric Golub's performances on youtube, and he is NOT funny. Just snarky, sarcastic and mean-spirited. Anyone who finds his "humor" funny has to be as hateful and bigoted as he is. Would Jesus find this guy entertaining? I think not. No genuine Christian would want to appear on the same stage as this guy.

September 4, 2011 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  2. R E

She is repulsive.

September 4, 2011 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  3. ari

i think we should all stop paying attention to sarah palin and her antics now.

please.

for the love of god, PLEASE.

September 4, 2011 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  4. Bachmann Palin Overdrive

It is a sad reflection on the state of this nation that a person like Sarah Palin can be taken seriously. It's not even funny any more – it's embarrassing.

September 4, 2011 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  5. Kevin

I am a fairly moderate Democrat and all this does is put me in a position where I feel I need to defend Sarah Palin. I can't stand mud slinging, cheap shots, or any reference to the family of politicians. I do not agree with Sarah Palin on most issues, but drill her on the issues, have some integrity and class, this crap from either side is sickening. Want to instantly lose my vote in 2011? pull this kind of crap.

September 4, 2011 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  6. Apple

Im sorry but this whole this with her is retarded.. yes I said retarded and my brother is a special needs adult and he even called Palin retarded with being upset with saying retarded.. In which he also said she has probably said it her self at times..

September 4, 2011 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  7. deb

Palin is THE ultimate special needs joke. I just cannot nor will I ever believe that there are actually living, breathing people that truly think this pop-culture personality is presidential material. I cannot fathom this. This story will not compute, my mind will not allow itself to accept this as a reality. Reality TELEVISION maybe....but nothing else. She is a parody, she is a punch-line, she is STARVING for attention that for some INSANE reason keeps being piled on her....she's a photo-op poser, an applause-seeking deliverer of buzzword-loaded rhetoric, a snappy dresser, the mother of an abstinence-preaching teenage mom, a job-quitter, a Saturday Night Live skit, and a comedian's jackpot. But not a president. Nope, no way, ridiculous, hilarious.....

September 4, 2011 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  8. Doug

Truly amazing. If anyone on the left (other than maybe Bill Maher) made such a reference Palin would be all over them. Such hypocrisy doesn't really surprise me, since if the Republicans had their way they would remove any funding to help special needs children. Bristol was right some things just aren't funny, and for any Republican to say that Democrats are selfish or self-interested makes me want to laugh between puking in my mouth. They are the ones pushing for things like universal health care. What total and complete idiots.

September 4, 2011 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  9. jim

boy, doesn't palin know what a comedian is either?

September 4, 2011 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  10. thefungus

There are three sure things in this life. Religion is nonsense, politics is nonsense, and currency is nonsense. We'd all be happier living the life of hermits.

September 4, 2011 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  11. KC

You see, when a conservative says an inappropriate joke, it was surely just "taken the wrong way", but if a Democrats says it, it's an attack on the good people of America, and possibly a communist plot.

September 4, 2011 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  12. Xman

Sorry to be the voice of truth, but poor Trig (not so poor really he's in a family making bank) came out retarded because the womb he came from belonged to a retarded woman. The acorn, as they say, doesn't fall far from the tree. So F u, Sarah Palin, the most moronic of wanna be politicians. You stand for nothing, are nothing. You aren't worth the clothes on your back. You are the worst politics has to offer. Go straight to he ll.

September 4, 2011 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  13. Anonymous

why is everybody going about palin. right now the only candidate that has any real experience is mitt rommney. he is a self made man unlike many of the candidates who have spent most of their adult lives collecting gol verment saliries.

September 4, 2011 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  14. Robb D

Really ??.....is this an individual you would want anywhere near "The Button"

September 4, 2011 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  15. Alastair

True to form – CNN attracts only the liberal intellectually challenged Palin bashers!!

September 4, 2011 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  16. stranger in an increasingly strange land

Tea Partiers are the party of compassion. They feel the pain of the very rich and are willing to let childrens education lag, special needs people do without care, poor people starve, migrants work for less than a liveable wage and gay/lesbian individuals have less rights than RIGHT THINKING NORMAL PEOPLE, just so the very rich can afford another house in the Bahamas.
    I belive I brought a tear to my eye thinking about how wonderful those Tea Partiers are.

September 4, 2011 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  17. Eli

FYI: I'm all for criticizing Sarah Palin, but The Permanent Fund dividend is not money from the "State Of Alaska." It's an independent corporation and the money comes directly from the oil companies that have contracts on the North Slope. Yes, the state helps manage the distribution of the money to all Alaskan residents.....but the state isn't giving away government money.

September 4, 2011 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  18. kat

So is he saying her son's a liberal? but regardless of what the comedian says, this woman's nuts. just about as nuts as a comedian who tries to make special needs people the same as everyone else and as idiots in the same joke. that's a fail.

September 4, 2011 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  19. Common Sense

America is pathetically lost. We continue to show that we've lost our moral compass. We are all at the mercy of the woefully stupid who call themselves political leaders.
    America is quickly becoming a second rate country lead by second rate politicians.

September 4, 2011 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  20. Scott A

So its okay for Republicans to make jokes about things that would offend Palin if a Democrat were saying it. And this stupid comedian that was talking had absolutely no idea what he was talking about by saying liberals are selfish, greedy, and always feeling entitled. It is the conservatives who dodge their taxes. Conservatives want everything for themselves. Liberals want the country to be a better place where people can get jobs much easier and at decent pay. What do tea party conservatives want? The absolute opposite. If they're not liberal or progressive, then by definition – they're up to no good.

September 4, 2011 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  21. Lolchristians

I find it hilarious how she's become an advocate for special needs. The only reason she ever had a special needs child is because she's a Bible-thumping nutjob who refuses to use contraceptives, and got knocked up at 40-something. She was basically BEGGING for a messed-up baby. We aren't meant to breed at that age.
    You know who really needs help? Families who have a special needs child from complications in birth, by chance, not by age. And who pays for the aid? The government, right? Doesn't Palin and teabaggers want "socialist" programs that give people aid abolished?
    What a bunch of idiots...

September 4, 2011 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  22. Bill Brasky!!!!

What is the difference between Sarah Palin's mouth, and Sarah Palin's vag1na? Only sometimes do retarded things come out of her vag1na...

September 4, 2011 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  23. Dee

This commedian is sickening in his words about Liberals. I'm a proud Democrat and have never felt entitled or said give me, I've worked since I was 14 years old and know what it's like to be poor. I also know what it was like living without insurance. What makes me a Liberal is that I haven't forgotten where I came from and I have compassion in my heart for those less fortunate than myself. Rhetoric such as what this man was spouting is divisive to the core and without humor. Shame on him,

September 4, 2011 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  24. Laurie

I can't understand what he was trying to say. Can anyone explain what he so inarticulately tried to express?

September 4, 2011 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  25. Anonymous

Nope. Americans are not entitled to understanding, empathy or support, regardless of disability or other barriers/blocks.

September 4, 2011 01:49 am at 1:49 am |