TRENDING: Comedian tells 'special needs' joke at Palin event
September 3rd, 2011

TRENDING: Comedian tells 'special needs' joke at Palin event

Washington (CNN) - In comedy, timing is everything.

And minutes before Sarah Palin, former Alaska governor and parent of a child with Down syndrome, made her much-anticipated speech in Iowa, Los Angeles-based comedian Eric Golub told a joke that compared liberal political ideology to “special needs children.”

After commending Palin on raising her son Trig while balancing other responsibilities, Golub made the analogy.

“For that reason alone, the left should worship Sarah Palin and adopt her as one of their own,” Golub said. “Because the leftist haters are an entire political ideology of special needs children.”

Golub continued by saying that liberals are needy and feel entitled.

“And unlike Trig, they aren't very lovable,” Golub said. “All you hear from them is give me, give me, I need, I need, I want, I deserve, I’m entitled – no you don’t.”

Since announcing she had a child with Down syndrome in 2008, Palin has defended the special needs community in a number of instances.

In February 2010, Palin called for Rahm Emanuel, then-White House chief of staff, to be fired after he called liberal groups thinking of running ads against Democratic lawmakers “retarded.”

When an episode of Fox’s “Family Guy” mocked Trig that same month, Palin wrote in a post to her Facebook followers that it felt like “a kick in the gut.”

She also included a response to the "Family Guy" episode from her daughter, Bristol Palin.

“As a culture, shouldn’t we be more compassionate to innocent people – especially those who are less fortunate,” Bristol wrote. “Shouldn’t we be willing to say that some things just are not funny?”

Palin never mentioned the remark while speaking at the tea party-affiliated “Restoring America” rally in Indianola, Iowa.

Charlie Gruschow, co-founder of Tea Party of America, said he never heard the comment or met the comedian before the event.

"Some of the people on staff had heard him speak before and thought he would be a good person to break up and entertain the crowd," Gruschow said.

This isn't the first time Golub made the comment. He also used it while speaking at a 2010 convention for the conservative organization Young America's Foundation.

Palin's team could not be reached for comment.

CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin • Tea Party
  1. wildhorse

and Yes WE DO PAY our whole lives for SS, are they about to AT LEAST give us our money back if they do away with ss?
    i would bet not. It is one of the few programs that can actual work, IF POLITICIANS keep there hands off using it for other purposes and leaving IOU's in place of the cash, or should i say FU'S?

September 3, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  2. R Texas

Message to Palin & her Tea Party: Sarah Palinis not the only parent with a special needs child. However, most parents do put the welfare of the child above everything else including taking care of that child as a devoted mother. Who takes care of the children. She spats out all kinds of crazy talk about others, but she can not take it when others express how they feel about her.

September 3, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  3. nicholas

It's not by accident a comedian making such comments ended up at the Palin/GOP event. The whole bunch of them come by "stupidity" quite honestly...you wouldn't hear crap like that at a liberal event.

~I am Canadian~

September 3, 2011 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  4. Chaos

Let me guess...

There will be hair splitting and total hypocrisy.

September 3, 2011 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  5. Dave

Yeah, let's see how many Tea-Baggers say "no" to Social Security and Medicare when they qualify for it.

September 3, 2011 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  6. Elliott Carlin

Palin sneezes, CNN reports it and liberals go out of their skulls exhibiting all of that "tolerance" they always preach.

This is fun to watch: the Left showing its true colors.

Barry is going back to the community in 2012, along with the lib Dims and RINOS.

Everyone knows it but the posters on CNN.com

Too funny.

September 3, 2011 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  7. Pete from St Paul

I know. Let's stop paying all taxes; stop all regulation; stop all law enforcements: Let's abolish government in America and show that Somalia how a true religious taliban nation can do it.

September 3, 2011 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  8. normalice

it's hard to write good conservative comedy. why is that?

September 3, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  9. DEMOCRAT UNTIL OBAMA

I have never in my life seen a group of people so jealous of one single powerful woman. You people are pathetic. I can't believe I once called myself a democrat. I am truly ashamed that I was once aligned with the likes of you bitter lonely people.

September 3, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  10. buckup

"the leftist haters" means what?
    fascists, baggers, dominionists, republicans or any decent American who hates left wingers?
    funny joke, funny comedian!

September 3, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  11. Jeffrey

Time to register as a Republican to help the GOP pick a sound candidate ... assuming one can be found. Otherwise you might be stuck with an extremist who might then move on to take the presidency.

September 3, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  12. Rosemary Peppercorn

Uhhh - think again, people, who think that we are all paying into Social Security for OURSELVES, and so we are going to get what we "paid into it" when we need it. NOPE. Think again! The money you are paying today are paying for TODAY'S retirees. The money YOU will get will be paid for by the workers working when you are 62 or 65, but think again, there's not enough workers! Too many boomers on Social Security, not enough younger people paying into it. You didn't "pay into" ANYTHING for yourselves.

September 3, 2011 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  13. ArizonaYankee

You are a left wing hack, throwing a line of schitt to make you sound legit. I'm no Palin fan, but I'm sure she know what it is all about. Furthermore, go to the east coast and look at all the Democrats, that are sucking down ALL of these entitlements. If Independents and Republicans didn't work, the Democrats would have nada...They have become the party of taxpayer blood suckers....Time to wake up unless you too are one of them.....

September 3, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  14. ROJOBULL

My God, she is so stupid.

September 3, 2011 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  15. Saxxon

Sarah Palin is retarded...

September 3, 2011 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  16. Leftist Hater

Anyone else find it odd that it's ok for this guy supporting Palin's speech to make retard jokes, but anyone who doesn't support her is admonished for the same thing? To me, that's saying "It's ok, my son has Downs"... which seems an awful lot like "it's ok, I have a black friend" after making racist jokes.

September 3, 2011 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  17. trainwreck

sounds like the comedian made a bad joke about a tired worn out premise...the livberals havent had any real power in the country for a long time, the right has held the presidency from reagan (who has started the snowball that were dealing with now) to friend of big business CLinton to Obama...i dont blame Palin for the joke and doubt she wouldve approved of iot, shes just there to make a buck though pretending like shes gonna run so she can make more money (and more power to her) she cant handle political power, and she is a fool...

September 3, 2011 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  18. Henriette

If there is one single shred of evidence that Sarah Palin gave birth to Trig, I haven't seen it. If you didn't know, Bristol was out of school several months during Sarah's "pregnancy," having contracted mononucleosis- y'know- the so-called kissing disease of the 50s. Regarding Sarah, no photo of her looking pregnant at that time exists, no birth certificate has been offered, no witnesses have come forth, her own staff didn't have a clue she was pregnant, and she traveled by air right up to her alleged spawn, preferring an obscure out-of-the-way hospital to the nearest. Why does this matter? Firstly, the matter of honesty. Secondly, if you believe her wonderful soccer mom credentials are up to the task to being the leader of the free world, what kind of mother can't have "the talk" with her teenage daughter... TWICE? And don't bother calling me a Democrat, because I'm not.

September 3, 2011 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  19. gar

Pathetic and disgusting. Just like everything associated with Palin. She's a menace to normal Americans.

September 3, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  20. robin

Oh puhlease. Typical Palin hypocrisy. When someone on her side makes a joke about a retarded child,at her benefit,thats OK, but Family Guy makes a joke and they should be shot.
    I dont see what some folks see in her at all. But the idea of her or Perry or Bachmann running on the republican ticket pretty much assures Obama a win in 2012. Religious nuts dont belong on a political stage. Nor do people without a plan in their heads. Its easy to bad mouth someone....and that is pretty much all the republicans do when they arent argueing with each other.

September 3, 2011 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  21. VAfamily

My wife and I have a child with special needs. This joke is appalling!!

September 3, 2011 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  22. Peter

Give me? Give me? Give Me?.........Leftists got NOTHING on corporate America's "give me" mentality. Give me no regulations. Give me lots of tax loopholes. Give me the freedom to send jobs overseas. Give me tax abatement or I will leave your city.
    This comedian needs to find a more diverse writing staff.

September 3, 2011 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  23. xairesephos

Methinks that right wing comedians tend to be extremely lame. Their jokes just aren't funny, and that includes Dennis Miller.

September 3, 2011 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  24. Rob

This woman is so stupid. Why is she in the news again? Aren't there any other senators that quit their job and ride around in a bus all day?

September 3, 2011 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  25. Helen

If this idiot ever becomes Presdent, we had better take the next flight out of the US. WHAT AN IDIOT WITH THAT SCREECHY VOICE

September 3, 2011 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |