TRENDING: Comedian tells 'special needs' joke at Palin event
September 3rd, 2011

TRENDING: Comedian tells 'special needs' joke at Palin event

Washington (CNN) - In comedy, timing is everything.

And minutes before Sarah Palin, former Alaska governor and parent of a child with Down syndrome, made her much-anticipated speech in Iowa, Los Angeles-based comedian Eric Golub told a joke that compared liberal political ideology to “special needs children.”

After commending Palin on raising her son Trig while balancing other responsibilities, Golub made the analogy.

“For that reason alone, the left should worship Sarah Palin and adopt her as one of their own,” Golub said. “Because the leftist haters are an entire political ideology of special needs children.”

Golub continued by saying that liberals are needy and feel entitled.

“And unlike Trig, they aren't very lovable,” Golub said. “All you hear from them is give me, give me, I need, I need, I want, I deserve, I’m entitled – no you don’t.”

Since announcing she had a child with Down syndrome in 2008, Palin has defended the special needs community in a number of instances.

In February 2010, Palin called for Rahm Emanuel, then-White House chief of staff, to be fired after he called liberal groups thinking of running ads against Democratic lawmakers “retarded.”

When an episode of Fox’s “Family Guy” mocked Trig that same month, Palin wrote in a post to her Facebook followers that it felt like “a kick in the gut.”

She also included a response to the "Family Guy" episode from her daughter, Bristol Palin.

“As a culture, shouldn’t we be more compassionate to innocent people – especially those who are less fortunate,” Bristol wrote. “Shouldn’t we be willing to say that some things just are not funny?”

Palin never mentioned the remark while speaking at the tea party-affiliated “Restoring America” rally in Indianola, Iowa.

Charlie Gruschow, co-founder of Tea Party of America, said he never heard the comment or met the comedian before the event.

"Some of the people on staff had heard him speak before and thought he would be a good person to break up and entertain the crowd," Gruschow said.

This isn't the first time Golub made the comment. He also used it while speaking at a 2010 convention for the conservative organization Young America's Foundation.

Palin's team could not be reached for comment.

CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin • Tea Party
  1. BamaBlues

Ahhh yet another Republican hypocrisy....most special care programs and especially those that were catered to the disable and mentally challenge are formed by democrats or at least private citizens and organizations that are more left of center.
    If left to the right wingers these folks would be dying left and right because to them you are a lesser human being and will be totally left to your own devices. Anything else you would be consider a leech and pro socialization and if you or your love ones are sick you better pray you're rich otherwise you're dead.

September 3, 2011 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  2. otermbachmann

Why is she still in the news?

September 3, 2011 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  3. Marie MD

Speaking of – where's Trig? I have been asking this question for months? What have they done with Trig?
    We have not seen and she has not paraded him in front of crowds for months.
    Somebody grow a pair and ask her where Trig is!!!

September 3, 2011 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  4. Peter Q Wolfe

I'm legally blind myself, so I have a vested interest in stopping extremism on either political spectrum. Our society doesn't value the disabled witnessed by thieves, burgulary, and rape that has happened to me. I weep for our country when the police trample on our civil rights for a "domestic" issue tht they cannot enforce civilized laws. Cutws to these programs will profoundly affect me to a point if to the extrme that I'll bwe homeless in a matter of months. I have no parents as they are dead and my sister is a prostitute and a drug addict and my brother has schizophrinea. Just be lucky that you don't have an unemployement of 70% and thank your lucky stars tht you never get my di8sease as stem fcell reseearch and cloning are being cut or fought against cause repuvblicans are prolife only not into welfare for the vulnerable amongst us.

September 3, 2011 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  5. Chris

Speaking as the brother of an autistic adult, let me just say that the stigma attached to special needs individuals pales in comparison to the hateful dirt that she and the GOP sling on ANYONE who dares speak of liberalism or socialism favorably. As if the world would be such a wonderful place if only the Christian Right went unchallenged. The GOP has made it perfectly clear that "compassionate conservative" is an oxymoron. Now Palin et al. make it perfectly clear what opportunistic hypocrites they are.

September 3, 2011 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  6. DJ

ThinkAgain, You're an idiot!!!! of the first order. The PFD, that EVERY AK RESIDENT RECEIVES, is basicallt royalties from the sale of oil for the state, since AK believes that the oil belongs to the people and not the govt!

September 3, 2011 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I don't see the need to involve her youngest child in things. I say that her record is what we should be looking at. The problem is that it is so short as governor that it is hard to explain what she did or understand why it was done.

September 3, 2011 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  8. MDinLACA

It's not that I take offense to the analogy. I'm a comedian and I take offense to the fact that it's not a good joke. It's not a joke really at all. That's what's offensive to me. Make a statement, but jesus make it funny too if you call yourself a comedian.

September 3, 2011 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  9. pprty

Being a grandparent of a special needs child, and a democrat, I'm here to say the republican party can go to hell!

September 3, 2011 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  10. Little Tin God

I consider myself a liberal and what "I want and need" is for the right wing-nuts to pull their heads our of their collective asses and take a look at the real world.

September 3, 2011 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  11. David

Right-wingers are hardwired without an actual sense of humor.

September 3, 2011 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  12. oldcoaldog

Whew...thank God he didn't compare his bowling score to retard...oops, sorry Rahm, I mean Special Olympians.

September 3, 2011 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  13. buck cameron

Trig's the smart one in the family.

September 3, 2011 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  14. Alex

Apparently Bristol didn't get the memo about the conservative opinion of those who are less fortunate.

September 3, 2011 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  15. Squigman

It's apparent the news media will never let go of this media queen. What's really scarry is the fact that there are people, more thanwillingto listen to this empty headed camera hog.

September 3, 2011 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  16. pprty

Sarah Paulin condones this? I, as a grandparent of a special needs child, have spent more time with my grandchild than she has spent with hers. I don't have millions to spend, but I've spent plenty. I don't have other family & kids to take care of her like Sarah does, but I take care of her myself and I love her. I don't rely on charity to help, and I would rather pick berries if I had to provide for her. There are many like me out there who don't want a hand out for the hard times we've been through dealing with our special needs kids. Watch out Sarah – God will get you.

September 3, 2011 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  17. Anonymous

Pathetic...but, so what else is new...

September 3, 2011 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  18. Jason

She won't be able to effectively be able to fuse the dichotomy involved, with her having a special needs child, while the GOP goes after SSI/SSD. Under those circumstances, she might as well change parties.

September 3, 2011 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  19. mark silvers

Anyone who doesn't vote deserves the politician they get. Palin is an idiot. I've seen better heads on a beer.

September 3, 2011 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  20. taffd

just the continuance of demonizing those that don't agree with you. Just as the Nazis did to the Jews. Given the chance, I don't know that the American Taliban (which the teabaggers are becoming) wouldn't start on a path to exterminate all liberals

September 3, 2011 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  21. terra coeli

Dear Star;
    There will be folks who don't see "Indian Money" as an entitlement. It's unfortunate if Mrs. Palin is receiving it, at least in my opinion, but the federal government has consistently broken practically every treaty it ever made with Native Americans. Their lands were seized, cultures were destroyed. I personally know a woman who is an Alaskan Native who was taken away from her parents when she was around 4. She was placed with a White family, so she could receive an "appropriate" education, etc. The money she gets from the government cannot ever repair the damage that was done to her and her siblings.

September 3, 2011 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  22. Matt

"'All you hear from [Liberals] is give me, give me, I need, I need, I want, I deserve, I’m entitled – no you don’t.'"

Jesus Christ, man! Who are these people???

September 3, 2011 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  23. RickyGibson

Maybe someday Ms. Palin will stop using a term that mocks my physical infirmity. You see, I'm lame. I have trouble walking. I didn't ask for this condition, and I can't change it. Arthritis in my knees is painful and frequently slows me down, inconveniencing others. It is not a choice I made.

Maybe with her sensitivity and understanding about Trig and his condition, Ms. Palin might reconsider using the term "lamestream". Otherwise, it makes her sound a tad hypocritical.

September 3, 2011 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  24. Justin

Note to Seth Macfarlane...Next time save a step, and just kick Palin in the gut.
    Note to Palin and all her Tea baggers... You are by far more retarded than Trig. He is handicapped by design, you are all handicapped by choice. Please kill yourselves!

September 3, 2011 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  25. fdafad

HAHAHAHA you go firl. Palin is amazing. Too bad she aint running. But I love her as a citizen just as much. If the liberals aren't insulted, at least they have to change or raise their standards.... Liberals never win a debate they wing. And they wont wing this one if they deny palins accusation.

September 3, 2011 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |