Romney: Health care will be one of my 'best assets'
September 5th, 2011

Romney: Health care will be one of my 'best assets'

(CNN) - Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney said Monday that the issue of health care will be "one of my best assets" if he goes on to win the Republican nomination and debate President Barack Obama in the general election.

"And I'll say to him, why didn't you give me a call? I would have told you what to do right and what not to do," Romney said to laughter at Sen. Jim DeMint's forum in South Carolina Monday.

On April 12, 2006, then-Gov. Romney signed into law a health care plan that would insure almost every resident of Massachusetts. The lynchpin of the law was an insurance mandate requiring those in Massachusetts to get health insurance. The law gave 8 percent of the state's population the right, Romney said, noting that under Obama's plan everyone is required to get insurance – something he called unconstitutional.

"It's bad law, it's bad medicine and on day one of my administration, I'll direct the secretary of health and human services to grant a waiver for Obamacare to all 50 states," Romney said. "It's got to be stopped and I know it better than most."

On the topic of the economy, Romney once again defended the business community against claims it caused the economic meltdown in 2008. "Corporations are made up of people," he said. Romney first made the line at the state fair in Iowa last month – a remark that Democrats used to paint him as out of touch with the American people.

He called for the repeal of the Wall Street Reform bill, and called out its authors – former Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Connecticut, and Rep. Barney Frank, D-Massachusetts – as being responsible for getting the country into the financial mess.

Filed under: 2012 • DeMint Labor Day Forum • Jim DeMint • Mitt Romney • South Carolina
  1. Jay

"'best assets"...sadly, it's true. Government healthcare light is about all he has to offer.

Obamacare, Romneycare, and Perry’s support for Hillarycare and mandatory Gardasil injections. Please remind me, is there any difference between the selected Republican “front runners” and Obama?

September 5, 2011 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  2. David K.

CNN, there were five candidates at the forum, were there not? I see stories on four of them. Get real here and show some integrity. Come on! Ron Paul represents a significant portion of Americans, and should not be ignored, otherwise you just stoke the flames of those who think he is intentionally being ignored.

September 5, 2011 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  3. Dan from Tx

"I would have told you what to do right and what not to do,"

So why is it such a secret? Why can't you tell US the differences?? We are listening.....

September 5, 2011 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  4. T'sah from Virginia

Healthcare would be one of MITTens ASSES –
    Observe him NOW with so many Bypasses
    What’s GOOD for the GOOSE is not for the GANDER!
    He flips so much he’s seems like a crash-lander!!

After seeing almost everyone on stage today, I am glad I do not have to vote for any of them. Where was Santorum or Huntsman??? Too moderate for the stage??

Oh how I am looking forward to 2012!!!

September 5, 2011 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  5. mitch

Dear Mr. Romney....besides the fact that you're in the den of the biggest moron in SC, the fact you still believe that line about Corporations is disturbing. The employees did NOT get greedy, the people on the top floor corner offices did. Same at the banks...the tellers weren't gambling with mortgages, the CEO's and traders were. Can the GOP folks please realize that there are 350 million Americans and not all are CEO's?

September 5, 2011 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  6. Larry L

If corporations are people I wonder if his plan allows colonoscopies for corporations?

September 5, 2011 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  7. mary

SHTFU, Mitt , why would he call you and he had Ted kennedy and MIT the same people who helped you craft your bill!!!

September 5, 2011 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  8. thomas

Why didn't Mitt the flip improve his medical plane when he was still governor ? Thats the problem with his kinda people , they never take responsibility , short term , or long-term.

This guy will do anything, say anything to be KING !
    Five sons and none did military service !

September 5, 2011 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  9. Aki

". . .The law gave 8 percent of the state's population the right, Romney said, noting that under Obama's plan everyone is required to get insurance" What? So he required everyone to get health insurance in MA, but he thinks Obama's plan is worse since everyone's under it instead of 8% like I'm reading from this article. I have a feeling Mitt would get blasted in negative ads for this, and it might mean that Mitt's trying to cover his tracks (just like Perry maybe).

September 5, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  10. mso

Hey, elect me, I have the right answer! What I did in Mass was correct , legal and constitutional. What Obama did was unconstitutional. I know its the same thing I did but what he did was wrong. And let us not forget

September 5, 2011 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  11. Name king

Dam how far will mitten goes to addare to the lunatic tea baggers. These folks have no solution but to loose every solution Obama comes up with, even if that solution was their long time stand. Obama went against his own liberal base with the Obama care, taking from the public sector and put it on the private sector, just to appease the lunatic right and still they went against their own long time standings about getting health care from government and not one repug voted for the measure after Obama bent over backward to give them what they've been fighting for, for years. Hell even mitten has the almost same identical Romney care that hardcore conservative Demint approved of before Obama care came into existence. Every thing to these repugs is politics. They will not approve Obama job plan just because Obama came up with it. This is why the American people need to get behind Obama jobs initiatives, if they Want jobs, because congress doesn't want this to happen to jeopardize Obama not being a one term president. So Anything congress opposes means it's good for the economy and they know it.

September 5, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  12. ufadoof

And he's the smart one of the bunch? So he is running against his own healthcare stance. Brilliant strategy! Alas, it might just work with the ignorant base.

September 5, 2011 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  13. Angy

yeah right. liar.

September 5, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  14. mtta

I am a Democrat and my husband is an Independent. We know many Democrats and Independents who are willing to vote for Romney in a heartbeat. Among Republican candidates, he has the best chance of beating Obama in 2012. I hope that Republicans put aside their differences and stand united behind Romney even if their personal preference is Perry or Bachmann. Our main goal is to get rid of Obama who, as an incumbent, has many advantages over Republican candidates. We need to back the candidate who has the best chance of defeating Obama. We simply cannot afford another four years of Obama.

September 5, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |