Obama sends campaign message just before speech
September 8th, 2011

Obama sends campaign message just before speech

Washington (CNN) – As the President prepared to ask Congress to "stop the political circus and actually do something to help the economy," his re-election team Thursday evening sent a message in his name asking supporters to weigh in.

"What happens will be up to you. In the coming days and weeks, it will be up to you to pressure Congress to act – or hold them accountable if they do not."

In the email he said the effort at job creation "won't begin or end with the speech I give tonight."

Asking the public to pressure Congress has been a staple of some of the President's recent speeches, including some during his Midwestern bus tour last month.

The President will hit the road in the coming weeks to help sell his economic proposals.

– You can follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter @KevinBohnCNN.

Filed under: Congress • President Obama
  1. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Perry and Romney as well as the other clowns running for the republican nomination provide no hope for our future. I stand with president Obama.

September 8, 2011 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  2. Ed

Must pass this now just like you Health Care bill that will cost us a trillion dollars or more.

I gues you will have your followers drinking your kool aid again.

I don't disagree with some of the things you said but you continue to play your games with the voters.

Be upfront and just tell it like it is you don't have a clue what you are doing.

September 8, 2011 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  3. Perry

So what? I've received DAILY email messages from the Republicans telling its supporters to do everything in their power to defeat anything Obama does, regardless of the cost to the Nation.

Republicans are the ones playing politics endlessly with the economy. They just can't stand the thought of America succeeding if it means their bosses the rich don't get everything they want.

September 8, 2011 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  4. JP

Isn't this just more of the same 787 billion so called stimulus that failed the first time. You can polish a turd and repackage it but its still a turd. If Obama would stop demonizing business, and stop supporting unions, trial lawyers and illegals he would then be moving in the right direction. All 3 of these groups are blood sucking leaches on the economy, what does Obama do he embraces them. The best thing Obama could do for the economy is resign.

September 8, 2011 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  5. SecedingfromTexas

Here's my problem. I e-mailed my Representative twice on other subjects, menial, but was curious about any answer from
    him.
    First answer: "You will no longer receive e-mails regarding this subject".
    Second answer: None
    I guess you could say I was put in my place. So when President Obama asks us to let our Congressmen(women)
    know what we think, suffice it to say mine don't care.

September 8, 2011 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  6. bassman

So basically his speech before Gongress was nothing more than political. Other Presidents have come before Gongress in times of crisis. Not Pres. Obama. One thing we know our media will ignore this.

September 8, 2011 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  7. Anonymous

This man use any approach to win next 4 years. I vote for him in 2008, but not this time. Where is change?. He is the worse president ever.

September 8, 2011 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  8. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I would hope that these Republicans understand that they need to think of the country before their ideology. We need to get the economy going before you start cutting the spending. I think that they should also understand the need to get people working first.

September 8, 2011 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  9. Vigla

Clearly we won't get any movement from the do-nothing congress... Obama has to call them out for what they are. Obstructionists that are harming the public with their inability to govern.

September 8, 2011 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  10. TEAPARTY Mike

Stop the circus?
    Obama was just the main attraction in the center ring. It was his typical overly partisan speech, full of dramatic exaggerations and distortions. This was a campaign speech on the taxpayers dime.
    He offered nothing new, just more of the same that has already not been working.
    There were a few things in it that will get support from Republicans that can help keep things from getting worse.
    No way Obama gets his whole plan and the sooner Obama is willing to compromise on it with Republicans the sooner a deal can be made and a bill can be passed.

September 8, 2011 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  11. FIELD1stSGT

BUNK! all Obama is is a liar!

September 8, 2011 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  12. Obama Voter

Ready to campaign for the Obama 2012

September 9, 2011 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  13. Dennis

Actually,
    "Obama sends campaign message before campaign speech" would have been a better headline..

September 9, 2011 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  14. FedUp

I think they should pass his ideas as written. That way, when it fails (as everything else he has done), the people will know exactly who to blame. I voted for this man and wanted him to succeed. Not voting for him again.

September 9, 2011 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  15. Seriously?

I'm holding YOU, President Obama, accountable.

September 9, 2011 10:11 am at 10:11 am |