Nation looks ahead with hope after remembering 9/11 victims
Bronze panels bear the names of the victims around the perimeter of the 9/11 Memorial North Pool before the tenth anniversary ceremonies at the site of the World Trade Center September 11, 2011 in New York City.
September 11th, 2011

Nation looks ahead with hope after remembering 9/11 victims

New York (CNN) - President Barack Obama on Sunday evening helped conclude remembrances of Americans who died in the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks with a message of unity and resolve for the years ahead.

"These past 10 years underscore the bonds between all Americans. We have not succumbed to suspicion and mistrust," Obama said at the "Concert for Hope" at the Kennedy Center in Washington. "It will be said of us that we kept that faith; that we took a painful blow, and emerged stronger."

FULL STORY

Filed under: 9/11 • George W. Bush • New York • President Obama
  1. ST

Am down today as I was on 9/11 ten years ago. I miss terribly my best friends who their remains were not recovered at all. My vote will go again to Pres. Obama who terminated the life of the master killer. I do not care about economy, because I know money come money go but not lives!!

September 11, 2011 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  2. diridi

While it is sad, and my prayer, this nation should remember the most idiot Bush and Cheney too....who messed this nation like hell and crazy.....cnn print it....please....don't play drama in democratic land....open and free society....

September 11, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  3. diridi

Obama, here is my vote in advance....my love, my nation, my Obama.....Obama2012....with lot of tears...

September 11, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  4. GI Joe

I was born just before the end of WWII. Watched all the class changes during Viet Nam. Saw the towers come down and the walls go up between haves and have-nots. I've heard the Greatest words our leaders could ever speak, trying very hard to bring the country together - to unite us.

I've also heard the most stupid words in my memory, not of love, not of SHARED purpose and responsibility, nothing positive - just 'GO SHOPPING'. sad.

September 11, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  5. An American in mourning

We do not forget.

Flight 11, Flight 175, Flight 77, Flight 93.
    The World Trade Center.
    The Pentagon.
    Shanksville.

On 9/11/01, this was the center of our world, the focus of our attention. As a nation, we saw incredible bravery and sacrifice. We saw this nation, for one brief shining moment, unite as it hadn't done so since Pearl Harbor. Then we saw that union destroyed bit by bit by a bickering, oppressive administration and we, as a nation, were left foundering.

We saw the best of humanity on 9/1l, we saw the worst of humanity on 9/11. We've seen things between then and now that make us proud and ashamed.

But we do not forget what we lost that day nor the sacrifices made by innocent people who rose to the occasion.

To those who died, we remember.
    To those who fight, we salute you.
    We will not forget.

September 11, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  6. Republicans - The Not Intended To Be Factually Accurate" Party

Newsweek magazine calculates the cost poor leadership/ mismanagement of 9-11, including the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan @ $3.2 TRILLION through today 9-11-11. We Americans can expect another $1.4T + from the Obama adminsitrations as it mops up. These are not partisan, anti-Bush/Cheney barbs; they are cold, hard, irrefutable FACTS. So I really wish the noiseboxes at Fox and in the Republican Caucus in Congress would stop the lies, trying to attach the deficit to some kind of reckless spending by the President and proflagate Democrats. It simply IS NOT true.

Beyond 9-11 spending, add in the costs of UNFUNDED Tax Cuts and Medicare Part D and the financial shortfalls expand by TRILLIONS more.

We need to reverse course to unwind the mess.

1.) Repeal the Bush tax cuts.
    2.) We can`t get the war money back, but we CAN REDUCE DOD Spending back to 2001 levels. That`s $300B in savings EACH YEAR – pr $3TRILLION by the time we get to the 20th anniversary of 9-11.

Don`t let the Republicans and the Industrial Military Complex scare you into backing more of the same. They`ve gotten rich over the past decade. It`s time for them to sacrafice back to their already rich 2001 levels.

September 11, 2011 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  7. y-candy

don't we all wish that bothersome, stutt stutt stuttttttering, obese Candy whats her name would have had the day off today. Watching cnn's coverage of 9/11 in New York is a mega burden because of her, we had to change to fox to just avoid her

September 11, 2011 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  8. Debbie

After a decade of grief and recovery we have survived. But we have not thrived. Why? I think because the focus of the sacrifice of those in PA, NY, and the Pentagon has been blurred by our own politicians. Today, as the nation remembers 9/11 the story of what happened is repeated over and over, but there is little focus on how Americans came together, what have we learned about war, and that we have gotten Osama bin Laden. Our politicians give power to terrorists by continuing to focus on where we were on 9/11 vs where we are today on 9/11. For those we lost you are heros and we will remember you. For those who are survivors and first responderss you are remembered and heros. To our young men/women in uniform you sacrifice for me to fight an enemy without a face but an ideology, I thank you and you are heros. To our polititians you have my disgust as you are not brave, not heros, but cowards as you socially, politically, and economy give away America's power to thrive to our enemy's for motives of power and money.

September 11, 2011 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  9. GI Joe

Ed Henry left CNN and went home to FOX - maybe Crowley needs to leave CNN and go home to FOX.

Fascism has come to this country wearing a flag and carrying a cross.

Sad.