Palin hits Perry on state-mandated vaccine
September 13th, 2011

Palin hits Perry on state-mandated vaccine

Washington (CNN) - While she wasn't on stage at Monday night's debate, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin jumped in on the attacks against Texas Gov. Rick Perry for signing a state law that required inoculation against a sexually-transmitted disease for sixth-grade girls.

"You have to go up against the big guns," Palin said on FOX News Monday, praising GOP candidate Michele Bachmann for bringing up the issue at the debate. "And they will try to destroy you, when you call them out on the mistakes that they have made."

In 2007 Perry signed off on a law that mandated vaccines for HPV, a virus that can cause cervical cancer. While, parents had the option of opting out for religious reasons, the measure was still considered an unpopular law in the Lone Star State.

Bachmann confronted Perry at the "CNN Tea Party Republican Debate" in Tampa, saying the Texas governor's former chief of staff later went to work for a drug company that made the vaccine.

“There was a big drug company that made millions of dollars because of this mandate,” Bachmann said, adding that Perry received contributions from the company.

Perry countered saying he had received $5,000.

"I raised $30 million," Perry said. "If you think I can be bought for $5,000, then I'm offended," Perry said.

Firing back with a shot that spurred wide applause in the audience, Bachmann said: "Well, I'm offended for all the little girls and the parents that didn't have a choice."

After the debate, Palin called Perry's ties with the drug company "crony capitalism."

"True reform and fighting the corruption and fighting the crony capitalism is a tough thing to do within your own party," Palin said. "Believe me I know that. I have the bumps and bruises to prove it."

Palin, who paints herself as a "maverick," added that she's been fighting corruption for the last 20 years at the local and state level, in addition to her time campaigning as the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee.

But this wasn't the first time Palin went after Perry. Speaking on Labor Day weekend at a major tea party event in Iowa, Palin hinted at the Texas governor–though she didn't use his name–while speaking about government corruption.

“Some GOP candidates, they also raise mammoth amounts of cash,” she said. “We need ask them, too: What, if anything, do their donors expect from their investments? We need to know this because our country can’t afford more trillion-dollar thank you notes to campaign backers.”

Palin hasn't thrown her hat in the ring for president, despite making big appearances this summer at events in key battleground states. She said Monday night she's still discussing a potential White House bid with her family.

In the meantime, Palin said she's "getting a kick out of" staying in the spotlight and weighing in on the 2012 prospects.

"I'm getting a kick of getting out there, making a speech, making some statement about things that must be discussed and then the very next day watching some of the candidates get out there and discuss what it was we just talked about," Palin said.

–CNN's Peter Hamby and Steve Brusk contributed to this report.

1. Doc M

Whoops....typo, meant "Koch" Bros. Freudian slip?

September 13, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  2. jerseygirl

This woman is like my ex brother-in-law. You can always count on her to be on the wrong side and say the wrong thing. This is a public health issue and the governor's support was right. I don't care if they gave him $5,000. Better than if he took money to squash the bill. It is a public health benefit. Wake up people. Why does anyone listen to her anyway. Let's ask Dr. Gupta what he thinks instead, okay?

September 13, 2011 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  3. sarahrh

I CANNOT STAND THIS WOMAN...that being said, kudos to her and an equally annoying Michelle Bachmann for taking egomaniac Rick Perry down a notch.

September 13, 2011 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  4. joe

Does Bachmann want choice?

September 13, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  5. Alan

I'd like to slam Palin....I bet she likes it rough...

September 13, 2011 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  6. devinjgrayMD

The HPV vaccine is crucial, and while I hate to agree with Gov. Perry, it should be mandated, although I think the age ahould be younger. Abstinence-only programs do not work. All they teach children is don't take precautions (don't go on the pill, don't use condoms, etc.) People younger than 18 are going to have sex. We can't stop them, but we can protect from lifelong and potentially deadly consequences.

September 13, 2011 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  7. CBR

CNN believes that what this woman says or does is news. Well folks, it is not. She is not running for President, she continually shows up at gatherings which certainly is an attempt to have the limelight. Meantime, the candidates must move forward without criticizing her. CNN buys into this behavior.

Fox News loves the controversy thinking that it brings viewers to the network which may be paying her millions for a job she i not qualified for.

The politicians today think nothing of slamming each other all the time otherwise they cannot campaign.Just sit down and read what they say. Would you think this was a good thing if your own child were to act this way.

September 13, 2011 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. Justin

Ok so we have the opportunity to eradicate a terrible virus from America...those girls will probably be sexually active at some point and a silly shot could save them from cervical cancer! Let's take a step back, out of the Footloose bubble that half this country lives in, and make a positive change for once instead of bickering over stupid crap like this.

September 13, 2011 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  9. JonDie

The vaccine works pretty well, and no, vaccinating 12-year-olds doesn't cause them to have sex (Bristol Palin was an "abstainer" and she still got herself pregnant as a unmarried teenager and then dropped out of high school).

However, vaccines aren't free, so we have to be careful about choosing which vaccines will be required and which will be optional.

By the way, HPV also causes anal, rectal and oral cancer in men, so if 12-year-old girls get the vaccine, then 12-year-old boys should also get the vaccine.

If I had a 12-year-old boy or girl, I'd give my kid the shot. But then again, I know a woman who had a hysterectomy in her 20's...after developing cervical cancer.

September 13, 2011 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  10. Pete

So a vaccine is designed to do humanity good and prevent everything from birth defects, infertility, the SPREAD of disease, cancer, and the loss of life in women as well as men and these women, Bachmann and Palin are against it??? What a crock! Do you know how much that shot usually costs? around $400 and unless Obamacare or Perry cover it, hardly anybody is going to fork over $400 in this economy.

September 13, 2011 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  11. Laurie

I guess I just don't understand what the big hoop-la's about. If the vaccine keeps girls from getting cancer, even if it's much later in life, why is having them take it bad? How is it different than making kids take other vaccines before they go to school? Also, my understanding is that you didn't have to make your child take it. It wasn't mandatory. This seems like a lot of criticism over nothing.

September 13, 2011 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  12. JL

Thus far, I believe Rick Perry to be the absolute worst GOP candidate. I think the comparisons between he and Bush are fair if not painfully obvious. We will not cure our Obama hangover with 4 more years of W. Let's give Ron Paul a shot.

September 13, 2011 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. Barry

I support the public distribution of vaccines by the government. Yes, I can appreciate all the ins and outs, ups and downs of who believes this or that about vaccinations, and, if you want to opt out for you and/or your family, so be it. If I have a chance to engage in preventive care for myself and my family, and, the government will provide it for free, then I'm going for it. I will certainly read up on the pros and cons of any vaccine and make my own final determination. This particular vaccination – HPV – appears, from what I have read, to be one of the good ones. It would cost approx $390 for the series of three shots or doses. Seems like getting for free isn't such a bad idea.

The politics is that the more conservative view is that any vaccination of this type will only serve to symbolize that it's okay to be sexually active, and, thus, any such policy must be defeated. Geez, approx 3,700 women die a year from cervical cancer, so, when someone brainstorms and creates a possible solution, we should run and hide so that those who don't buy into the idea of abstinence as the only solution to eveything sexual will rot and die. I sometimes wonder why god created such awful, narrow-minded human beings.

September 13, 2011 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  14. Carol

Just one idiot slamming another idiot.

September 13, 2011 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  15. PALIN GO HOME!

Sarah...its time to go home! You have more issues to deal within your family than what is going on in the world! Your words mean nothing and are a joke! Get off your high horse and go sit on the bridge to nowhere cause thats where your political career has gotten you!

September 13, 2011 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  16. once upon a horse

Sarah Palin loves to give out criticism but can not take it back in return. You call her out on certain things she says and she is quick to play the VICTIM card. President Obama is bashed almost daily by the right, FoxNews 24/7 and even some on the left. He is really getting bashed without being able to defend himself from the 2012ers at the moment. I doubt seriously if Sarah Palin could take the critics as the POTUS has. At least not without FaceBook, Twitter and FoxNews to protect her.

September 13, 2011 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  17. madcow11

Tina Fey, where are you?

September 13, 2011 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  18. kathy

I may need smelling salts after saying this...even to myself...but atta girl Sarah!! Gag!! Ugh!! Glad she's saying the truth about the newest Texas moron. On the other hand...I'm wondering if foxy ole Palin is playing this whole "I don't know YET if I'm running" thing a bit smart. This way she jumps in at the end AFTER all the debates so she never has to answer questions and try to make intellegent sounding statements outa that mouth. You betcha...super dooper idea. I don't think she has a snowballs chance in hell to win anything...and really just wish she'd keep raking in the millions and shut up. Don't even think she should be entitled to be called Governor as she was only there for a year before she quit to cash in.

September 13, 2011 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  19. George

Palin reminds me of WWE pro-wrestlers tag match...who's only time in the ring is to take a cheap shot at a downed opponent without the referee watching...then run away behind the ropes.

September 13, 2011 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  20. EffortPA

@Founders 1791, I agree that Palin is really good at energizing people. The problem is that she energizes the other side more than her own. Just look at what happened in Alaska with Joe Miller and Lisa Murkowski. It is the personal vendetta that Sarah has with Lisa what motivated Lisa to run in as a write-in candidate. Without Sarah, Lisa would never have ran and Joe would have won. So, you are right, Sarah does energize people and that is why 72% of Republicans don't want her to run while 90% of Democrats do. The woman is just too stupid to understand why that is. Run Sarah, run!

September 13, 2011 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  21. Luna

Palin can't stand not being the center of attention, she has to get into the news cycle. Needy much?

September 13, 2011 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  22. Dr. D

I commend Perry on this bill. The vaccine more importantly protects against 2 serotypes that cause cervical cancer, one of the leading causes of fatal cancer in women. Why wouldn't this be important? As doctors if we could actually PREVENT cancer why shouldn't we? Well done Mr. Perry.

September 13, 2011 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  23. Mr. Wilson

OMG. She's running. I have to go now...falling off of chair....laughin...oooop!

September 13, 2011 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  24. Joan

I don't understand why the Republicans and Tea Party say the government has to stay out of people's lives and should not have mandated the vaccines in Texas but in the same breath they think it is OK to tell people who they can and cannot marry and think that a woman should not be able to make her own decisions about her own body. Kind of hypocritcal don't you think? Also if they are against big government then they and all their friends and relatives should never collect unemployment insurance, social security and use Medicare because they are government sponsored. Also, they should not let their governors take any stimulus or aid money if it is so horrible. Oh, I forgot. Perry used the Texas share of the stimulus money to pay down the debt without touching his emergency money and not using it for shovel ready jobs.

September 13, 2011 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  25. PalinFan

Ironic since Bristol probably should have gotten that vaccine, too

September 13, 2011 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |