Palin hits Perry on state-mandated vaccine
September 13th, 2011

Palin hits Perry on state-mandated vaccine

Washington (CNN) - While she wasn't on stage at Monday night's debate, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin jumped in on the attacks against Texas Gov. Rick Perry for signing a state law that required inoculation against a sexually-transmitted disease for sixth-grade girls.

"You have to go up against the big guns," Palin said on FOX News Monday, praising GOP candidate Michele Bachmann for bringing up the issue at the debate. "And they will try to destroy you, when you call them out on the mistakes that they have made."

In 2007 Perry signed off on a law that mandated vaccines for HPV, a virus that can cause cervical cancer. While, parents had the option of opting out for religious reasons, the measure was still considered an unpopular law in the Lone Star State.

Bachmann confronted Perry at the "CNN Tea Party Republican Debate" in Tampa, saying the Texas governor's former chief of staff later went to work for a drug company that made the vaccine.

“There was a big drug company that made millions of dollars because of this mandate,” Bachmann said, adding that Perry received contributions from the company.

Perry countered saying he had received $5,000.

"I raised $30 million," Perry said. "If you think I can be bought for $5,000, then I'm offended," Perry said.

Firing back with a shot that spurred wide applause in the audience, Bachmann said: "Well, I'm offended for all the little girls and the parents that didn't have a choice."

After the debate, Palin called Perry's ties with the drug company "crony capitalism."

"True reform and fighting the corruption and fighting the crony capitalism is a tough thing to do within your own party," Palin said. "Believe me I know that. I have the bumps and bruises to prove it."

Palin, who paints herself as a "maverick," added that she's been fighting corruption for the last 20 years at the local and state level, in addition to her time campaigning as the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee.

But this wasn't the first time Palin went after Perry. Speaking on Labor Day weekend at a major tea party event in Iowa, Palin hinted at the Texas governor–though she didn't use his name–while speaking about government corruption.

“Some GOP candidates, they also raise mammoth amounts of cash,” she said. “We need ask them, too: What, if anything, do their donors expect from their investments? We need to know this because our country can’t afford more trillion-dollar thank you notes to campaign backers.”

Palin hasn't thrown her hat in the ring for president, despite making big appearances this summer at events in key battleground states. She said Monday night she's still discussing a potential White House bid with her family.

In the meantime, Palin said she's "getting a kick out of" staying in the spotlight and weighing in on the 2012 prospects.

"I'm getting a kick of getting out there, making a speech, making some statement about things that must be discussed and then the very next day watching some of the candidates get out there and discuss what it was we just talked about," Palin said.

–CNN's Peter Hamby and Steve Brusk contributed to this report.

1. Just Say No To Tea

I love how Palin gets to talk, without having to answer any questions.
    The other candidates should be calling her out for this charade.
    Will she, or wont she
    The suspense is killing me..................
    nope.

September 13, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  2. Reggie from LA

Her "big|guns" look pretty good in that picture, but all I can see is a conspiracy to whomp Perry (and rightfully so) to have Bachmann reemerge after a bit of a beating in the straw polls. I must say that after all the other candidates did to get up on that stage does upstage Perry's recent bid to get a spot among them. Interesting how his popularity sank everyone elses' boats with the GOP/Bagger voters. Someone noted that his skeletons would hop out of the closet. What is interesting is that numbskulls don't believe what the Texans who know him were telling them. Go Sarah! (not really though).

September 13, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  3. TAM/otlset

Sarah Palin is setting the debate and issues agenda in the GOP now - despite not even being in the race, as her identification of "crony capitalism" and entrenched politicians who make fortunes while in elected office because of such crony capitalism overshadowed the CNN debate. This is a cutting edge and brave political vision. Her speech in Indianola laid down the outlines of this, and I expect her to flesh these points out further as she prepares to announce her candidacy in the coming weeks.

Go Sarah! Sarah Palin in 2012 for the saving of our nation!

September 13, 2011 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  4. Just Say No To Tea

*** PLEASE READ WHAT THIS TEA BAGGER JUST SAID ***

Perry made these injections mandatory, this poster is complaining that dems are denying her the right
    of what to put in her body ????
    The decision of what to put into a 6 year old girls body
    should be with the parents, yet this moron is blaming Dems
    when GOP – Perry did this.
    Just freaking amazing.

September 13, 2011 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  5. steven harnack

So she gets the luxury of debating them after the fact with no questions and no rebuttals? How fitting, the faux candidate on Faux News!

September 13, 2011 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  6. Switters

Me, I'm a progressive – I'm a 'socialist' – I think a vaccine 'program' like Perry's for HPV is 'essential'

However, I don't think many Tea Party conservatives would agree with me......................................

September 13, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  7. FactCheck

-----–

Hey, why stop there... why not grab a handgun, walk into the nearest liquor store, and take everything in the cash register. If the cops catch you, you can always claim that they are intruding on your personal freedom. Contored logic indeed.

September 13, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  8. YouIdiot!

Me! Me! Me! It's all about me. I do this, I do that, etc...WOW!

Well, Sarah what would you take to the Whitehouse? Lots of mirrors Wolf! Not for me mind you, but for others to admire me from every angle. See how I think of others?

September 13, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  9. FactCheck

I would bet $5 that she doesn't even know what the word "maverick" means. I think the Southwestern definition of the word describes her best:

maverick: (noun) an unbranded calf, cow, or steer, especially an unbranded calf that is separated from its mother.

September 13, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  10. VAL

OMG! Here we go again. Sarah Palin have nothing better to do. Just stay home and take care of your daughters before they become teenage mom like their big sister.

September 13, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  11. Sniffit

"When the government FORCES you to do it it is!!! I don't get it with the looney left. They feel fine with a women's right to choice to kill their baby but also feel fine with denying a young woman's right to decide what she must get injected into her body. Absolutely nothing seems to be off limits unless they deem it so using their contorted logic."

There was an opt-out provision. Nobody had to get the vaccine who didn't really want it. Sooo, ummmm, take a deep breath and a valium.

September 13, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  12. steven harnack

Hey AsGMblahblahblah, are you so ignorant that you don't even know which party Perry is seeking the nomination from? How does "the looney left" have anything whatsoever to do with an executive order by Gov. Perry? Do you maybe kind of understand why we think that you funhouse patriots are more than a little unhinged?

September 13, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  13. YouIdiot!

@AlaskaPalin

"In debating vp joe biden, palin equaled or surpassed him."

Uh? Honey, she couldn't even remember his name. She kept calling him "O'Biden". It's a fact, do a "google" on it.

September 13, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  14. seriously???

Palin you're SOOOO right about everything and KNOW everything. Please save America. Please?? I mean, pretty please???

Oh that's right, you're afraid of the "lamestream media" or whatever catch phrase you're trying to TM this week.

September 13, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  15. Don

Big guns, lot's of lead, but no gun powder!!
    Enough said !!
    Sara Pain has nothing to offer the citzens of the USA !!

September 13, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  16. Doug in NYC

Where is Palin wedding ring inthe photo above? Is she cheating on her husband?

September 13, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  17. Chris~Albany, NY

Let's all be honest. The reason she's still around and get's any media attention is because of one simple reason. She's HOT! I mean just look @ that picture, that's a MILF right there. Wouldn't vote for her but I would ..................

September 13, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  18. A Card Carrying Republican

To the man/woman that posts on this blog as "Four and the Door" -

I have read about 2 months worth of your posts. I vote Republican. Please stop posting.

You are all over the map and to anyone paying attention, your logic is convoluted & twisted. You may think you are helping to make the case but you are in fact hurting things.

Recommend you change your moniker and cut down on the volume. Don`t argue every point – the D`s are correct – - a few times.

September 13, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  19. JJ

Too bad there's no vaccine for stupidity, eh, Sarah?

September 13, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  20. Just Say No To Tea

Perrys price just went up sarah.
    Why no wedding ring ?
    Looking for a new playmate ?

September 13, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  21. Just Say No To Tea

I hear that Perry plays for the other team.
    Maybe Michelle can pray it away.

September 13, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  22. Rsprings

I love it when the Palin haters go on a rant. It makes you look ....stooopid. Bachmann is right government should not make anyone take a vaccine unless they want to. It should be opt in not op out.. Does anyone remember the thalidomide problem in the 1960's. While it wasn't mandated it was an approved drug used for morning sickness in pregnant women. Unfortunately, it caused severe birth defects. The HPV vaccine while it had clinical trials was risky and everyone knew it. While it may well turn out to be a good drug...but only time will tell.

September 13, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  23. Zadoc Paet

If I recall correctly, and I do, the study that suggested vaccines cause autism was completely discredited. I guess you can't tell evolution-denying republicans that.

POLL: Do you believe Michele Bachmann's claims that vaccines make people retarded?
    Vote: http://www.wepolls.com/p/2486516

September 13, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  24. Rsprings

One more thing...When you see a commercial for a drug they usually have a disclaimer with a long list of side effects and risks. Many worse than the underlying illness.

September 13, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  25. valwayne

Another milestone for Obama. 2.6 million people in the last year fell into poverty and the poverty rate has reched 15.1%. You have to go back to 1983 to find a higher poverty rate. That was the year before Reagan's reforms took hold giving us a generation of prosperity and lower poverty rates. Less than 3 years of Obama and his extreme left wing borrow and spend policies and that has all been undone. Thanks Obama, thanks a whole heckuva lot!

September 13, 2011 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |