President pauses for beer with future Medal of Honor recipient
September 14th, 2011

President pauses for beer with future Medal of Honor recipient

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama enjoyed a beer with Dakota Meyer on the patio outside the Oval Office Wednesday. The president will present Meyer with the Medal of Honor Thursday during a ceremony at the White House.

According to a series of tweets by White House spokesman Jay Carney, when a member of the president's staff called Meyer over the weekend to prepare, Meyer made a special request.

"On 9/8/09, Meyer, then a 21-year-old Marine corporal, repeatedly risked his own life to save the lives of 36 U.S. and Afghan troops," Carney tweeted. "Over the weekend, the president's staff called Meyer in preparation for Thursday's Medal of Honor ceremony at the White House."

"Meyer asked the staffer if he could have a beer with the President," Carney said.

"POTUS invited Dakota to come by the White House this afternoon."

Filed under: President Obama • White House
  1. Whatever next?

And the malicious comments start 5...4...3...2...NOW!

September 14, 2011 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  2. Larry L

I'm proud of a country where a Marine can have a beer with the President and it doesn't feel like a photo-op. President Obama is a good man who cares about America and the Marine is a true hero. This is what being an American is supposed to feel like...

September 14, 2011 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  3. JP

Meyer earned his medal unlike the nobel winner sitting at the table with him.

September 14, 2011 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  4. go perry

obama should be greatful to have the privilege of being in the company of a brother Marine, OOH RAH to Cpl Meyer

September 14, 2011 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  5. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Is he still active in the Marines? I hope so because of his courage is something that can inspire many to do better.

September 14, 2011 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  6. T'sah from Virginia

I'll drink to that!!!

September 14, 2011 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  7. thejellyman

I cannot thank both of you enough.

September 14, 2011 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  8. No Amnesty for Teabaggers - Impeach Republicans

Obama is an excellent commander in chief. As an American, I am still proud of our president and our military.

September 14, 2011 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  9. "He's Dead Jim."

That's what a good commander and chief does. Good job.

September 14, 2011 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  10. Mr. Kenneth

You deserve much more.we must tell you the world all need to give you a beer.you are the reason I can sleep at night.

September 14, 2011 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  11. Liberal elite=anyone with an education

I mean seriously, how can people hate this President so much? Let me guess, Teapublicans find something wrong with this, too.

September 14, 2011 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  12. FIELD1stSGT

That is all Obama can do. Drink beer and play golf. He should even be seen with this true hero. He is a disgrace to America.

September 14, 2011 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  13. Sue

Very Nice!

September 14, 2011 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  14. luis

Now thats cool!

September 14, 2011 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  15. Melo-D

Freakin awesome!!! The president is a good guy. It's sad that many Americans have been convinced by GOP wingnuts and Fox "news" that the president wants to destroy this country. It's simply not true. I don't understand how anyone could believe such garbage.

September 14, 2011 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  16. dave

Having read a few briefs on Meyer's VERY courageous actions, I can't bring myself to berate him for his choice of beer partner.. He wholeheartedly deserves a lifelong message of gratitude from the nation.

September 14, 2011 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  17. terry,va

I'm glad this marine could drink a beer with Obummie. He must be active duty and would go through a brick wall for the commander in chief. Other than that, I find it hard to explain. I wouldn't. Semper Fi

September 14, 2011 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  18. Bessy

Now this is how I like to see my president. Good job President Obama and congratulationes to Dakota Meyer. I'm very happy that your survived your terrible ordeal. God Bless.

September 14, 2011 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  19. Tyler Derden

You better bring a beer bong with you, Marine! Semper Fi!

September 14, 2011 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  20. Anonymous

classy move by the President

September 14, 2011 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  21. ThinkAgain

Thank you, Mr. Meyer, for your service to our country – and thank you, Mr. President, for your continued service to our country and your commitment to our military personnel! Cheers!

September 14, 2011 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  22. Chuck Steak

God bless him!

September 14, 2011 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  23. Ronald Raygun

that would be a sweet picture to have of yourself. this kid literally faced death and ran towards it to save others lives many times, heck yeah he deserves a beer with the president!!

September 14, 2011 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  24. Kristina Erin Kaye

Thank you for your extraordinary service to our country Corporal Dakota Meyer. I salute you and would love to give you a giant hug!

September 14, 2011 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  25. fom

That's awesome. Glad the President took more time out of his schedule for a leather neck.

September 14, 2011 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |