President pauses for beer with future Medal of Honor recipient
September 14th, 2011

President pauses for beer with future Medal of Honor recipient

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama enjoyed a beer with Dakota Meyer on the patio outside the Oval Office Wednesday. The president will present Meyer with the Medal of Honor Thursday during a ceremony at the White House.

According to a series of tweets by White House spokesman Jay Carney, when a member of the president's staff called Meyer over the weekend to prepare, Meyer made a special request.

"On 9/8/09, Meyer, then a 21-year-old Marine corporal, repeatedly risked his own life to save the lives of 36 U.S. and Afghan troops," Carney tweeted. "Over the weekend, the president's staff called Meyer in preparation for Thursday's Medal of Honor ceremony at the White House."

"Meyer asked the staffer if he could have a beer with the President," Carney said.

"POTUS invited Dakota to come by the White House this afternoon."

Filed under: President Obama • White House
  1. Stoptheracism

Two great men! This is why I love America!

September 14, 2011 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  2. Pogo

Very cool. but what did they discuss.

September 14, 2011 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  3. Huh?

Tea Baggers complaining about the President drinking beer instead of working to manipulate the free market and create jobs in 5...4...3...2...

September 14, 2011 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  4. JimmyNelson

nice story all around...

September 14, 2011 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  5. Scott

I may not agree with your policies, but I applaud you for taking the time to have a beer with a true hero! Well done Mr. President!

September 14, 2011 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  6. kazz

cool :)

September 14, 2011 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  7. JayToma

I wish I had beer with the president!

September 14, 2011 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  8. Grimmone

Cheers Thank you for your service and sacrifice marine.

September 14, 2011 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  9. Wzrd1

As a veteran of this war and some rather unfortunate memories from it, I hail the POTUS for granting this wish.
    Whether anyone learns anything is irrelevant, he's show respect to a hero amongst veterans.

September 14, 2011 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  10. Rita Benedict

I want to make this clear my heart breaks for the families of 9/11 but my heart hurt more for the wivies and parents of the young people who have died in our recent war's if you can call them that. They have been left in the dust. Look at what is done for the families of 9/11 then look at what's been done for the Pfc Cpl and Sgt. Nothing compare' you know it and I know it. I don't have to tell you anything about the difference you all know I am ashamed and my heart hurts just thinking of it. When are we going to let the vet's from Nam till today KNOW how much we are grateful to them. I didn't watch the news for 5 days because i couldn't watch everyone cry for 9/11 but do nothing for or to stop these foolish men who keep our young people being killed. I CAN PRAY FOR THEM BUT WE THE PEOPLE HAVE TO STOP IT SOMEHOW. RitaB

September 14, 2011 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  11. Benjamin

Rock on! Firsties

September 14, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  12. SecedingfromTexas

Bless his heart. The horror this young man has faced, and still asks to have a beer with his President. He deserves
    the Medal of Honor. I don't know if he agrees with the policies, and neither do any of you, but he certainly under-
    stands the meaning of respect, and it was obviously important enough to him to show that respect by wanting to
    have a man-to-man conversation with his Commander in Chief. Two Americans who love their country.

September 14, 2011 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  13. Doug

Awesome – taking time to talk to a military member who has spent time on the front line makes me proud to be an American!!! I tip my glass to the President and the Medal of Honor recipient.

September 14, 2011 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  14. Ultimate Troll

AWESOME!!!

September 14, 2011 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  15. Tessa

How cool is that to sit and have a beer with the President? Mr. Carney certainly deserves to have his wish granted after sacrificing so much for his fellow soldiers. I am impressed that the President took the time to visit, especially with everything on his plate these days. A very heartwarming story!

September 14, 2011 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  16. Leo

Where is all of the Obama hater's? In my 49 years of being an American, I have not ever hearing of the Commander in Chief doing this. All of the other's only looked down on the little guy, like you and me. Way to go "Chief".

September 14, 2011 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  17. BlackDynamite

Cool.
    BD

September 14, 2011 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  18. Corey

Good for the Marine. And good publicity for Obama too. He should sit down and have a beer with troops more often, Medal of Honor recipients or not.

September 14, 2011 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  19. indie

cool

September 14, 2011 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  20. BxCAD

Cheers to man's best friend...the beer!

September 14, 2011 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  21. Bob

Mr. President, I didn't vote for you and I won't again. I don't like your policies nor the direction you're taking the country. But I do believe your heart is in the right place, and that you care about America. Is this a photo op for you? Sure it is. But I also believe that even if it wasn't, you'd have been willing to have a beer with the guy because it's the right thing to do. Thank you.

September 14, 2011 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  22. sja7

Guy is a real American hero. Congratulations.
    *cue Republicans commenting about how Obama should be fixing America instead of having a beer*.

September 14, 2011 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  23. Jason B.

Very cool. And to this, I say we all raise a toast and say "Thank you Mr. Meyer."

September 14, 2011 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  24. Melvin B.

WOW, I wish it was me ,I have the strongest admiration for the President what a strong and intelligent man.

September 14, 2011 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  25. Steve

What's the deal with beer and Obama?

September 14, 2011 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |