Romney says record consistent on health care
September 15th, 2011

Romney says record consistent on health care

Washington (CNN) - Mitt Romney rejected the notion that he’s shifted his positions on health care Thursday, telling CNN’s Wolf Blitzer that his record shows consistent evidence of conservative platforms and beliefs.

Blitzer pushed Romney on why he had changed a passage in his book “No Apologies” that referred to a health care plan enacted in Massachusetts when Romney was governor. In the hardcover version, Romney wrote, “We can accomplish the same thing for everyone in the country, and it can be done without letting the government take over health care."

When the book was published in paperback, the line read only, “It was done without government taking over health care,” without mention of the plan’s cross-country prospects.

Romney defended the change, saying it was simply a clarification of established viewpoints.

“We updated the book because it came out almost a year after the first book and of course the president's plan was then put in place,” Romney said. “I was asked when we put our plan together, 'Is the plan in Massachusetts something that if you are president, you'd have the entire country adopt?' And I said no. I said that very clearly. I've said it throughout 2008. The Massachusetts plan was crafted for Massachusetts.”

Romney also reacted to a moment in Monday’s CNN/Tea Party Republican Debate in which an audience member shouted "Yeah!" in response to a question asking whether a critically ill person without health insurance should be left to die.

“I was disappointed by that response,” Romney said. “We're a people that care very deeply for one another, we respect the sanctity of human life, whether an unborn life or someone in the middle of their life or at the end of their life. I tried very hard as governor of my state to come up with a plan that would care for people in our state in a thoughtful and compassionate way.”

Romney used the interview Thursday to put some distance between himself and Texas Gov. Rick Perry when asked if he would use the word "socialist" to describe the Obama White House.

“Well, you know, words have a lot of unintended meanings and calling people socialists probably goes on the fact that it is true that President Obama's team and the president himself seem to believe that government has a better approach to our economy than the private sector, and I disagree with that approach,” Romney said.

Romney continued, “I don't use the word socialist, or I haven't so far, but I do agree the president's approach is government heavy, government intensive and not working.”

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • TV-The Situation Room
  1. Darron R. Brown, M.D.

When you are a multi-millionaire like Romney, health care is available in the United States. When you are poor, like nearly 50 million Americans, you get the same health care that is available in developing countries; that is, no health care unless you can beg, borrow, or steal enough money to pay for it. To say "the President's plan is not working" is almost laughable stupid. The PPACA has not even had time to make a significant change in the health of Americans, and the Republicans are doing everything they can to stop it from helping anyone. Are people actually going to vote for this candidate?

September 15, 2011 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  2. BeverlyNC

Romney has never been consistent on ANY issue. His "beliefs" change every week based on what the Tea Party is spoutng. He is no leader, is not genuine, or trustworthy. He needs to go live in his 10,000 sq ft beach house in CA and let someone with character, integrity, and solid values run for our highest office.

September 15, 2011 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  3. Limbaugh is a liberal

Mitt Romney has consistently been advocate on all issues. He has consistently advocated the side that gets him the most votes.
    (and that's democracy!)

September 15, 2011 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  4. jhnz

FREE Oil Trading Room: The time has come for me personally to demonstrate the secret code for FREE twice per month in REAL TIME inside my online trading room. I will show that I know which direction oil is going to go over and over and over again without end. You are all invited to watch a scientist demonstrate how the oil market trades via a computer program. Google Oil Trading Academy to learn more.

September 15, 2011 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  5. Grand Oil (and Tea) Partiers

By consistent, Mittens means flip-flops on a regular basis, then sure we can agree to that. Otherwise, no Mitt, you have about 8 faces....

September 15, 2011 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  6. thomas

Why wont Mitt tell me why none of his five sons did any military service ?

I know they all have great medical insurance !

Romney / Cheney
    2012

September 15, 2011 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  7. Grow up already...

So Mitt... Which way is the wind blowing today?

September 15, 2011 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  8. Former Republican, now an Independent

The current day field of republicans will say anything to get elected and have no regard for the truth.

September 15, 2011 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  9. Grow up already...

I guess if you're always going the same way they wind is blowing, at least THAT is consistent...

September 15, 2011 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  10. Marie MD

Flip flop, flip flop, flip flop. Can somebody please write, maybe on the palm of his hand, what he has to say or not say or didn't say or will say (or write).

September 15, 2011 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  11. Terrbear

How will we ever know if any of Obamas ideas will work, if the republicns say no to everything?

September 15, 2011 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  12. w l jones

Not to many years ago a large private health care Ins. company did not would not sell certain segment of the population a full covers medical plan. The government plan cover everybody. Enough said.

September 15, 2011 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  13. Yeah Right

So Mittens claims he is consistent on healtcare, yet removed a passage on healthcare in his book?? That seems very inconsistent

September 15, 2011 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  14. morpunkt

He's much more electable than Perry. I'll vote for him any day over the Texas disaster.

September 15, 2011 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  15. CNN WHERE IS TEXAS MIRACLE RICK PERRY "JOBS PLAN"?

Speaker Boehner said, I quote "no tax increase from the Super Committee". The S&P downgrade the economy because GOP brinkmanship and the lack of tax increase to offset the deficit. So, what the he11 is slouch mouth Boehner talking about. CNN go check that fool. P.S. Romney is a lair about his stance on healthcare and social security.

September 16, 2011 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  16. bigwilliestyles

Well, let's wait and see.

September 16, 2011 03:45 am at 3:45 am |
  17. dreucalypt

Yeah, I was consistent. Take it from me! I was consistent! I really was!

September 16, 2011 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  18. Von Bismark

If he becomes President he ,on day one, he will repeal Obamnycare. He will will not repeal Obamacare as he is threatening. He doesn´t believe in what he is saying. Pathetic!

September 16, 2011 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  19. Rudy NYC

When politicians descend into calling their political opponents names, they only add to the perception that all politicians not good people. I feel that when you attack a person's character by stereotyping them, you are actually conceding defeat because their ideas are better than yours. If you had better ideas, you would be attacking their ideas, instead of their character.

So, if Gov. Perry wishes to descend into schoolyard name calling, then I think we should call him "possessed". I mean he has freely admitted that get guidance from voices that he hears in his head, which supposed to be the voice of his GOD.

September 16, 2011 09:23 am at 9:23 am |