Clinton praises Cheney's political prowess
September 18th, 2011

Clinton praises Cheney's political prowess

(CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton said former Vice President Dick Cheney was playing politics when he suggested Secretary of State Hillary Clinton run for president in 2012 against President Barack Obama.

“I'm very proud of her. And so I'm always gratified whenever anyone says anything nice about her. And I very much agree that she's done a good job,” Clinton, a Democrat, said Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “But I also have a high regard for Vice President Cheney's political skills. And I think one of those great skills is sowing discord among the opposition.”

Cheney, a Republican, floated the idea during interviews to promote his memoir, “In My Time,” when he praised the former New York senator and encouraged a primary contest on the other side of the aisle.

But Clinton said his wife, who lost the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination to then-Sen. Obama, is committed to her position in the Obama administration and doing a “heck of a job.”

“I think he, by saying something nice about her and the way he did it, knew that it might cause a little trouble,” Clinton said. “I don’t want to help him succeed in his political strategy, but I admire the fact that he’s still out there hitting the ball.”

Cheney, who appeared on the CBS program after Clinton, said he was not trying to stir discord with his remarks.

“I just thought … that the Democrats ought to have as much fun on their side of the aisle as we’re having on our side in figuring out who is going to run,” Cheney said.

Hillary Clinton has repeatedly shot down speculation that she may run for elected office after four years at the State Department, despite a recent poll showing her as the most popular politician in the United States.

Bill Clinton said the polls are simply an example of the political climate.

“She’d be the first to tell you that, you know, the further you get out of the line of fire, the more popular you’re likely to be,” Clinton said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “I don’t think you can take that seriously. She’s secretary of state, she’s not president.”

Filed under: 2012 • Bill Clinton • Dick Cheney • Hillary Clinton
  1. toot

I for once agree with Cheney. she should run

September 18, 2011 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  2. bigwilliestyles

Cheney should be somewhere being water boarded to reveal the full extent of his criminal activities (including attempted murder) while he was vp.

September 18, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  3. vic , nashville ,tn

Obama doing a good job the problem is he doesn’t know how to sell his products

Super delegates made huge mistake in 2008 I wish we can take back that

September 18, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  4. FIELD1stSGT

Well the Democrats better come up with someon for the idiot is going to take them down. Any of the top four Republicans will and could win the White House if you don't change from the Erkel of government.

September 18, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  5. MarineDad05

“But I also have a high regard for Vice President Cheney's political skills. And I think one of those great skills is sowing discord among the opposition.” ... Clinton

And that produces a headline that Clinton praises Cheney's Political Prowess?

I read Clinton's remark to be kind of looking down at Cheney (which is exactly what Clinton ought to be doing).

Talk about the power of the English language..... each of us can take something totally different :-)

September 18, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  6. Will

Clinton should have stated that Cheney is a traitor to the American people. He had an energy conference with ONLY energy CEO's, and all of a sudden a barrel of oil jumped to 149 dollars. He cared more about oil money than he did the American people, THAT IS TRAITOROUS!

September 18, 2011 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. steam roller

Very well said Mr. President.

September 18, 2011 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  8. clarke

Well she is a good person and I believe made a great President.

September 18, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  9. DENNA

Cheney is so full of it. Hillary Clinton is a Democrat and I can promise you that if she had won instead of Barack Obama, nothing would have changed. I remember how much trouble Bill Clinton had with the Republicans as president. In fact, they used millions of dollars of our tax money to try to run him out of office early and all the Rethugs proved is that he likes women. Heck, any woman in America could look at him and know he was a skirt chaser. I would have taken 1/3 of what we paid Ken Starr to tell America that. Cheney, why don't you go somewhere, sit down and shut up before your wonky ticker gives out for good?

September 18, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  10. alumette

very disturbing to see Clinton praise Cheney. Is there a unique clan of people who go into politics that have the ability to lie, cheat, tell the public anything to get elected then lie again to maintain their status ? I think so.....evidently. All rotten apples.

September 18, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  11. A Kickin` Donkey

Well stated Bill. You don`t exhibit the petty manipulativeness that Cheney does.

It is telling however, that in this GAME of POLITICS, the underhanded, disention sowing traits are still to be "admired" by professional politicians like you, Not a slam on you, Bill.

Rather, it`s an indictment of the profession, When we, the PUBLIC, don`t punish people for acting this way; when we reward them with elevated office & status, we get the kind of bickering & obstructionism we are seeing in Washington.

Want things to change? Then change them. Vote ote about 60 Tea Party Congressmen and America will be better for it.

September 18, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  12. barry

I don't like Cheney but I would love it if Hillary would run , win, and clean this mess up. Millions of people are suffering and after 3 years with President Obama there's no relief. I'd like to see if Hillary could clean this up instead of Perry or Romney getting their chance.

September 18, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  13. mary

Lets just all get over the "If only Hillary would have won" drum beat because you know as well as I do that wether it was the 1 Black President or the 1st Woman President they would have been attacked equally by the party of No! Their only object was to vote out the Democrat and install another Republican.. If people don'tr wake up out there we will end up with a less intellegent version of George W Bush-Wake up people and start respecting and supporting the President we have-Perfect?-no -trying to HELP get the country out of this mess-YES!!!

September 18, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  14. tony

If only we could have had more smart thinking Clinton years instead of following him with the Bush Catastrophe. And now the republicans are doing their darndest to select someone even more stupid. And Reaganomic us finally back into a third-world country.

September 18, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  15. us1776

And Hillary is doing a fabulous job as Secretary of State.

Our allies actually like us again.

September 18, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  16. Tyler Derden

She has worked hard under difficult circumstances to help this country. Quietly and behind the scenes. And was likely heavily involved in the successful elimination of bin Laden. But it is ludicrous to ask her to run against the incumbent.

September 18, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  17. Ric

Well said Mr President.

September 18, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  18. pam jones

hillary would have been an amazing president. romney would also be a great president......too bad the repubes have been hi jacked by the crazies

September 18, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  19. Walter

Gee, how can we get people to read this article. I know we'll make it seem like Clinton is praising Cheney; even though we all know it was faint praise at best – suckers!!

September 18, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  20. lynn

Take note that Clinton didn't actually praise Cheney, he gave a back-handed insult. Cheney was just trying to stir the Democrat pot and Clinton pointed that out.

September 18, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  21. Four and The Door

So the Democrats are stuck trying to run Obama again in 2012? Seriously, they can do better than that. I am of course not a Democrat because I disagree with their party philosophies about how things work, but there are so many Democrats who could make a better showing than Obama right now. Certainly someone can step up and at least give them a fighting chance of getting a few electoral votes in 2012.

September 18, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  22. Powerpac

I'm sorry, but if Cheney says H Clinton should challenge Obama, then Cheney finally has said something that makes sense. Bobby K challenged Johnson in 68. Johnson eventually saw the writing on the wall and resigned. Bobby would have become prez if not for a deranged busboy; and all of American history since would have changed big time for the better. I think Bill Clinton is still not up to feeling his oats after his huge heart bypass episode. Hillary needs to come out fighting without hubby at her side and do it all on her own. Yes, she can.

September 18, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  23. proudmemberofglobalzero

Ex President Clinton...it is time for you to go and work on your foundation. I think you are a bit much. President Obama has had to spend 2 years fixing the mess you left him. He is now trying to fix "free trade"...which will never go away. I put you and Regan..in the same category. Big Business and screw the middle class. I still don't know how you rate so high. You are the pits in my book.

September 18, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  24. Karl Jonas

Of course Cheney's playing politics! The Dems should have "ust as much fun" yeah right.

Everyone in politics knows that the worst, most damaging thing you can do is to challenge a sitting president of your own party. The ensuing discord damages the party to the point where it can't prevail in the general election. Just ask Jimmy Carter.

Cheney thinks we're stupid enough to fall for that one!

September 18, 2011 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  25. AC

Cheny is too much, he's rich, not good looking, he's rich, and who's going to end up with all his money, once he's gone?

September 18, 2011 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |