Clinton praises Cheney's political prowess
September 18th, 2011

Clinton praises Cheney's political prowess

(CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton said former Vice President Dick Cheney was playing politics when he suggested Secretary of State Hillary Clinton run for president in 2012 against President Barack Obama.

“I'm very proud of her. And so I'm always gratified whenever anyone says anything nice about her. And I very much agree that she's done a good job,” Clinton, a Democrat, said Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “But I also have a high regard for Vice President Cheney's political skills. And I think one of those great skills is sowing discord among the opposition.”

Cheney, a Republican, floated the idea during interviews to promote his memoir, “In My Time,” when he praised the former New York senator and encouraged a primary contest on the other side of the aisle.

But Clinton said his wife, who lost the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination to then-Sen. Obama, is committed to her position in the Obama administration and doing a “heck of a job.”

“I think he, by saying something nice about her and the way he did it, knew that it might cause a little trouble,” Clinton said. “I don’t want to help him succeed in his political strategy, but I admire the fact that he’s still out there hitting the ball.”

Cheney, who appeared on the CBS program after Clinton, said he was not trying to stir discord with his remarks.

“I just thought … that the Democrats ought to have as much fun on their side of the aisle as we’re having on our side in figuring out who is going to run,” Cheney said.

Hillary Clinton has repeatedly shot down speculation that she may run for elected office after four years at the State Department, despite a recent poll showing her as the most popular politician in the United States.

Bill Clinton said the polls are simply an example of the political climate.

“She’d be the first to tell you that, you know, the further you get out of the line of fire, the more popular you’re likely to be,” Clinton said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “I don’t think you can take that seriously. She’s secretary of state, she’s not president.”

Filed under: 2012 • Bill Clinton • Dick Cheney • Hillary Clinton
  1. GI Joe

Bubba is a very smart man. He knows what the republicans and baggers are up to.

September 19, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  2. MnWise

It's too bad that Bill Clinton can't run for President again. Sure he was a skirt chaser, like he was the only president that did? Cheney is a pathetic, crooked old man that should be in the same category as Nixon. Any Democrat that runs for office now will face the same wall. Republicans don't want anyone else to succeed at anything!

September 19, 2011 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  3. AlaskaPalin

Democracy is mutilated within these political partys so that when it gets to the people there's nothing that can be done to save it. Its time this 'old boys' business that hands off power to the next in line stop. We need our brightest and our best to lead us up against the challenges we face in this century (china anyone) and that can only happen if there is democracy within these partys. The weapon that they use to mutilate democracy is money.

September 19, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  4. JustMe

Once again Cheney is contradicting himself. He says he isn't trying to stir discord, but then he goes on to say "that the Dems ought to have as much fun on their side of the aisle as we're having on our side in figuring out who is going to run." I mean everybody knows that isn't fun, that's complete and utter discord. Give me a break Cheney. He's just trying to stir the pot is all.

September 19, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  5. Vigla

Mike in Philly... There was no exception for Roosevelt, he was allowed to run for 4 terms. A constitutional amendment by Republicans afterward l (because they were soooo pissed at losing 4 in a row) limited the president's terms to 2, so no "exceptions".

September 19, 2011 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  6. Mark L.

I absolutely adore Hillary R. Clinton, and I actually did support her in the 2008 Democratic primaries. I would love nothing more than to see Hillary make another serious run for office, although, I really don't believe it is going to happen. Hillary Clinton would be right up there with some of the greatest female world leaders of all time, such as Golda Meir, Indira Gandhi, Margaret Thatcher, Angela Merkel, etc.

September 19, 2011 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  7. Vigla

WAHEID – We did elect a Democrat in 1912... Woodrow Wilson from the great state of NJ!

September 19, 2011 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  8. Thor

Imagine how this country would prosper if Hillary switched to being a Republican and then ran for president.

September 19, 2011 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  9. Bill from GA

I understand 'ol Adolf Hitler was pretty good at politics, too. Real persuasive guy, that Adolf.

Wouldn't want either one ( Dicky or Addie) for a next door neighbor, though. You know, they both had that torture thing going.

September 19, 2011 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  10. Four and The Door

DENNA
    Four and the Door, why don't YOU run for president. ... If we had more working people paying taxes, the deficit would be a lot lower. Come on, run for president, please.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Thanks Denna, but I have a job as President. And so do 20 more people because I started my company 7 years ago. The government gets plenty of taxes from us. In fact, they have made much more from my business so far than I have. You have no idea what businesses deliever to the government in taxes until you have your own. It is obscene. But then, all you read about is General Electric not haveing paid any taxes. And of course that means all companies don't pay enough taxes, right?!?! You have no idea.

September 19, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  11. Lynda/Minnesota

What a foolish old man Dick Cheney has become.

September 19, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Way to call it like it is Bill.
    Democraps need to stick together and stop panicking, and falling for the okey-doke.
    Support our President, divided we'll fail.
    Obama 2012

September 19, 2011 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  13. Grundoon

Only a moron would interpret what Clinton said as "praise." His was a very uniquely condescending, "Oh, Dick, arent' you precious? Bless your little, non-functioning heart."

September 19, 2011 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  14. Chumlee

CNN: Praise for Cheney? I think you all need to re-read his comments - this is not praise for Cheney – this just
    exposes the dark, real side of this war criminal, human rights offender, total idiot!

September 19, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  15. Bill (Louisiana)

Heck. I voted for her against Obama and would do it all over again. The only reason I voted for Obama for President is because he picked a good VP and John McCain did not. If John picked Hillery for VP, he would have got my vote. I also think if Hillery was President, the Health Plan might have been more partisan and we would not have the political war that has been going on for the past 3 years. Don't get me wrong, I balme the Congress for all the mistakes, but the President could have been more diplomatic and respectful. George Bush and Cheney made similar mistages and their administration along with the congress put us into exponential finacial ruin and they saved the wrong people, the financial and automobile industry in the USA. Kind of defeats fair market principles if you ask me.

September 19, 2011 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  16. Joan

September 19, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  17. FM

If Cheney thinks Hillary will make a good President, why can't he ask her to cross the line and run for GOP? Their base is shaky. After all, Perry was a Dem and Hillary switching will be a normal thing!

September 19, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  18. Sniffit

"The person who wrote this article certainly saw something quite different than most others. Clinton was actually poking a jab at Cheney by saying he is good at trying to cause dissension on the left and trying to distract from the unbelivable divide and in-fighting within the Republican party. Actually the headline should have read "Clinton Sees Through Cheney's Phony Praise and Advice". That would have been more accurate."

Yes, but that kind of reporting is not allowed. The MSM desperately wants a horse race next year, so whenever necessary, it will prop up the GOP, its bobblehead leadership and its candidates by ignoring their ideological idiocy, failing to report facts, evidence, historical record, etc., contrary to what the GOP morons are claiming and generally spinning things to help the GOP avoid damaging itself with its contemporary laser-focus on extremist positions. An easily sensationalized, exciting and close "horse race" narrative requires equal candidates whose positions are seen by most people are equally meritorious, so that's the paint job the GOP is going to get in the "news."

September 19, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  19. Annie, Atlanta

Cheney will say anything to stir the pot of discord, which he knows he's doing, during a time of great economic strife for this country. And I didn't take what Clinton said as praise, exactly. But that's just me.

September 19, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  20. iTALIAN NONNO

Bill Clinton was much too diplomatic in his response. He should have told Cheney, to mind his bloody business, ..and go hire a good lawyer,.. his day of reckoning is coming.

September 19, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  21. Ray E. Georgia

Well,
    I have to ask myself, what is Bill Clinton sellling? It couldn't be a 15 Trillion dollar National Debt, or, 46 Million people on Food Stamps, or 15 Percent of the people living below the Poverty Level, or Taxing the Rich out of existance, or reducing the Post Office about 125,000, or 17 Percent unemployment, or Forclosing on million's of houses, or what could it be? I got it! Astroturf!

September 19, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  22. Nibirutruth

They are all NWO puppets – of course they are going to pat each other on the back. Wake the hell up America. Get down on your knees to God and beg for his mercy before these satanists destroy this country.

September 19, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  23. Sequoia

Dick Cheney should be in prison for crimes against humanity and most Americans would agree the Bush/Cheney government was the biggest epic FAIL in US history. Obama is doing a good job digging us out of the hole they created, next to a cliff. Obama 2012 all the way.

September 19, 2011 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  24. Noodle Nose Johnson

4 and the door – "Thanks Denna, but I have a job as President."

Being an Amway distributor does not count as being President of a company.

September 19, 2011 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  25. buyer's regret

For all my liberal firends – if you are having a buyer's regret about not getting Hilary as your VP, look back on Clinten presidency and try to remember the vitriol that surrounded Hilrary effort to reform Health Care. Why do you think she would be more successful than Obama with current, even less flexible Republican side of Govment?

September 19, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |