Bachmann stands ground, bashes Obama debt plan
September 19th, 2011

Bachmann stands ground, bashes Obama debt plan

(CNN) – Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann didn't walk back on recent comments about the dangers of a vaccine Monday, but defended herself by staking her own unique position.

"I wasn't speaking as a doctor. I wasn't speaking as a scientist," she told CNN's "The Situation Room" anchor Wolf Blitzer during an interview. "I was merely passing on...what I had heard."

Bachmann was careful not to repeat previous comments about a woman who'd approached her "sobbing" following CNN's "Tea Party Republican Debate" and who, she says, confided that her daughter "suffered from mental retardation" after receiving the vaccine that protects against HPV–a sexually transmitted disease that can cause cervical cancer.

Those comments stirred up controversy-and questions about the GOP presidential candidate's discipline on the campaign trail-again.

But for the three-term congresswoman, the questions aren't about discipline. They're a distraction from "crony capitalism" exercised by Texas Gov. Rick Perry, the current GOP frontrunner.

"This is something that someone had said to me, a mother that's very concerned," she said.

"The point in the debate that I made is it's up to the parents to make that decision about the HPV vaccine and this was clearly an abuse of the governor."

"A lot of people are missing the main point…crony capitalism and abuse of executive power," Bachmann argued.

And she sounded off on President Obama's plan to reduce the deficit, calling him "the great divider" instead of the "great uniter."

Insisting that she wasn't just being "contrary" in opposing the plan, Bachmann said, "If this worked to create jobs I'd be completely on board with the president…what he's suggesting is the same old same old…there's nothing new here, why would anyone go with that?"

As the United Nations General Assembly begins to unfold, Bachmann also attacked the president's foreign policy.

"I don't believe Israel should have to give away any more of its land," she said. "The president hasn't done Israel any favors."

Instead, she advised the president to "disallow" Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad from stepping "one foot" in the U.S. for his persistent threats against Israel.

"He is a genocidal madman," Bachmann said.

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Israel • Michele Bachmann • TV-The Situation Room
  1. foreverwar

Spacey eyed flake. She is ignorant of all facts regarding anything.

September 20, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  2. Cedar Rapids

She wasn't speaking as a doctor but as a politician, with all that implies with regards to truth and hyperbole.

September 20, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  3. Jamie K

Last time I checked, mental retardation was caused by having the wrong number of chromosomes. Vaccines do not change your chromosome count. If people don't know wth they are talking about, they need to keep their mouths SHUT. This is NOt the type of person we need leading the country. Can you imagine what she might regurgitate to other world leaders?

September 20, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. mike

Get this piece of crap out of the spotlight. What a waste of time, money and resources this woman is!

September 20, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  5. kungfumastah

Well, I like the idea of low taxes and keeping more of my money than the next guy. The only problem is, I will have to spend that money (and more) on private schooling for my kids (funding cut from schools equals poor public education), an armored vehicle to transport my family in, and a wall and armed guards to protect me and mine from the increasing number of "lazy poor people" who haven't been lucky enough to have a great education or parents with money and connections. Umm, I think I'd rather pay slightly more in taxes, than see my country become a third world country that only the rich can enjoy.

September 20, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  6. ClydeTheSlyde

Finally, someone that makes Palin look like a viable candidate by comparison!

September 20, 2011 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  7. Ed

Bachmann like others in her party are poor students of history. An objective examination of the last 70 years demonstrates that stimulus spending works to create jobs, trickle down economics does not. It fine is Michele does not know something but do we want a president who makes statements and sets policy without considering experts and history?

September 20, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  8. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Just passing on what you heard? So the ability to pass along unfounded gossip is a good thing in a leader? Oh that's right... For Michele it's SOP.

September 20, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  9. simp

I read in another article that Ari Fleisher is going CNN. Great job CNN another republician to bash President Obama. The contributiors on this show is a joke, this is not a bias new station that's why I stopped watcheing it. Marrtin why in the Hell are you still working with this bunch of losers, it's not always about the money.

September 20, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  10. Larry

I was going to post something here but after reading all the great comments,there's no need...You guys have it covered!!

September 20, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  11. Rick in AZ

"I was merely passing on what I heard". She accepts as true what she hears. I heard that Michelle Bachmann is an idiot. That too must be true.

September 20, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  12. once upon a horse

I am starting to think that this "mystery woman" that came up to Bachmann is part of her wild imagination. If a Democrat had of made such a statement the right wing media would be tearing up the walls to find out who this woman is and put her on the air. Had this woman came up to Bachmann and made a statement like " my daughter took the vaccine and I am happy about it and had no ill effects." would Bachmann had repeated such a statement? I doubt it.

September 20, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  13. ficheye

OK then. The moon is made from green cheese. Someone told me that. It must be true. And her jobs position? Republicans are still under the delusion that Reagan's 'trickle down' approach will work if you give it time. They've had about 20 years and nothing is happening except off shoring of jobs so that the rich can make even more money. She's cuckoo.

September 20, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  14. Phearis

She's lying! No she wouldn't. When President Obama recommends new ideas, the GOP hate them, even before they hear them but when President Obama recommends old established ideas, the GOP hate them. So what exactly is he supposed to do? The GOP don't seem to want new ideas and they don't want established ideas. So what the Hell does the GOP want?!?!

September 20, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  15. nagrom

She goes down down down In a ring of fire In a ring of fire And the flames go up higher and higher and higher. She fell in to a burning ring of fire.

September 20, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  16. Charlie from the North

Wow! "Just passing along what I heard" I wouldn't accept that lame excuse from the junior high kids I teach and i will not accept it from her.

September 20, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  17. Mark L.

Anyone, in their right mind, that actually plans on voting for Michele Bachmann of the Tea Party, should actually start an entirely new political party affiliation called the STUPID Party !!!

September 20, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  18. Ferret out the B.S.

BwaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa......I just don't honestly believe that someone would actually go out in public and utter nonsensical ideas and beliefs and expect to be taken seriously. There is definitely a screw loose somewhere. The biggest problem is that the rest of us will be subjected to this garbage for more than a year remaining in the political season.

September 20, 2011 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  19. Martin

She wants the US President to "Disallow" the Iranian President from visiting the United Nations just because it's in the United States. The United Nations is supposedly an indepedent body. If international leaders want to visit the UN, the President of the United States has no authority to stop them.

Bachmann is out to lunch.

September 20, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  20. Kwesoe

I don't think this woman has the respect and stature to listen to her advisors. If she had consulted them, I'm sure they would have advised her against making a scientific claim to a very literate citizenry. In real life, every time you put you foot into your mouth, you will fall, and falling she is.

September 20, 2011 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  21. dayla

Is she representing females around USA? Well, I think middle school teens have more medical knowledge than Michelle. To be honest I don't know who in the world elected her for this position!!!!! She does not have idea what she is doing nor what she says every time that she opens her mouth.

September 20, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |