Bachmann stands ground, bashes Obama debt plan
September 19th, 2011

Bachmann stands ground, bashes Obama debt plan

(CNN) – Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann didn't walk back on recent comments about the dangers of a vaccine Monday, but defended herself by staking her own unique position.

"I wasn't speaking as a doctor. I wasn't speaking as a scientist," she told CNN's "The Situation Room" anchor Wolf Blitzer during an interview. "I was merely passing on...what I had heard."

Bachmann was careful not to repeat previous comments about a woman who'd approached her "sobbing" following CNN's "Tea Party Republican Debate" and who, she says, confided that her daughter "suffered from mental retardation" after receiving the vaccine that protects against HPV–a sexually transmitted disease that can cause cervical cancer.

Those comments stirred up controversy-and questions about the GOP presidential candidate's discipline on the campaign trail-again.

But for the three-term congresswoman, the questions aren't about discipline. They're a distraction from "crony capitalism" exercised by Texas Gov. Rick Perry, the current GOP frontrunner.

"This is something that someone had said to me, a mother that's very concerned," she said.

"The point in the debate that I made is it's up to the parents to make that decision about the HPV vaccine and this was clearly an abuse of the governor."

"A lot of people are missing the main point…crony capitalism and abuse of executive power," Bachmann argued.

And she sounded off on President Obama's plan to reduce the deficit, calling him "the great divider" instead of the "great uniter."

Insisting that she wasn't just being "contrary" in opposing the plan, Bachmann said, "If this worked to create jobs I'd be completely on board with the president…what he's suggesting is the same old same old…there's nothing new here, why would anyone go with that?"

As the United Nations General Assembly begins to unfold, Bachmann also attacked the president's foreign policy.

"I don't believe Israel should have to give away any more of its land," she said. "The president hasn't done Israel any favors."

Instead, she advised the president to "disallow" Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad from stepping "one foot" in the U.S. for his persistent threats against Israel.

"He is a genocidal madman," Bachmann said.

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Israel • Michele Bachmann • TV-The Situation Room
  1. B

I do not understand why anyone pays the slightest attention to this woman, she has proven time and again that she does not have the Facts on anything that come from her mouth !

She has become emblematic of the current Republican Circus..

All partisan blather and no facts about anything.

September 19, 2011 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  2. Jan63

I cannot believe that Ms. Bachmann cannot see that taxes on big business and the extrememly wealthy is something that MUST happen. Oh yeah, these people may create a couple of new minimum wage jobs. Minimum wage jobs will not help bring our country out of this recession! Why should my husband and I who make under $130,000 a year pay more than billionaires???? It is time to take the taken burden off the back of middle class workers and make everyone pay their fair share. A flat tax would be far better, at least the mega rich would pay some taxes.
    How about cutting some of the perks for congress?????? How many millions could that save per year. I sure won't get free healthcare for life after 30+ years of employment, why should they for a few years of "employment".

September 19, 2011 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  3. kyle

The GOP job plan is to give the rich tax cuts and lose 8 million jobs.

September 19, 2011 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  4. Just a Girl

Do America a favor Bachmann, instead of opening your trap at anychance you get, keep your mouth shut. Everytime you are allowed on TV you do nothing but embarrass our country. go get somemore botox and squak to a paid docter, not the US, you should be ashamed of yourself.

September 19, 2011 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  5. Phaedrus

I think she made up the story. If there really was a child affected by this vaccine in such a drastic way, then her mother would've come forward to talk to the media (think about the money this lady would be paid to go on every nationally syndicated show). Since no such individual has come forward, Bachmann has obviously made this story up.

September 19, 2011 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  6. Ed Texas

If Bachmann wins we should all be very afraid. She wants to institute religious viewpionts /as the basis for all legislation. Or as some would call it, christian sharia law. Since she likes to speak before thinkiing and hears info and passes it along with varification to the mases. Can you just imagine getting wrong info and having the ability to push the button for nuclear war?

September 19, 2011 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  7. Shannon

Of course she didn't walk it back, she is a pathological liar, who can never admit she is wrong. What kind of leader passes on heresay, heresay that can be potentially harmful without verifying one word that was said to her. She is not fit to lead a cheer at a Tea Party rally, and believe me, I set the bar pretty low for that position.

September 19, 2011 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  8. Indy

Bush was the great divider, giving to the rich and Obama wants everyone to unite and pay fair taxes. This is not a tax increase but the end of a tax holiday that has proven to be a huge burden on the deficit. We dont expect Bachmann to understand logical thinking but this is all about uniteing in fairness and ending a gift that has been a failure.

September 19, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  9. to the washington non-christians

wish I knew what obamas buddy david frum is smoking because he needs to share because the last popular poll done on obama was done by the NYT nd it was 39% who thought obama is ok and the rest said obama is an idiot.

September 19, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  10. Kirk1

Still waiting for the Republican economic plan for jobs and how to try to get us out of this mess. Absolutely nothing, except no new taxes. Wow!

September 19, 2011 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  11. Jackthebear

I think the point missed was this ladies childs affliction was almost certianly genitic. and could well be michele's causation too.

September 19, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  12. Jeff from Washington

No you weren't speaking as a scientist or a doctor, you were speaking as an ignorant fear mongering boor. I'm tired of her do nothing but criticizing other politicians and dancing around all forms of questions put to her. Hey Michelle, rather than criticize everyone for there policies why don't you put forth some of your own? It's way easier to complain than to actually step forward and offer a solution.

September 19, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  13. Donkey Party

Bachmann is living proof that extraterrestrial life isn't intelligent.

September 19, 2011 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  14. connieb

So tell me, Ms Bachmann, if someone in the crowd came up and told you she had done extensive research before giving the vaccine to her daughter and found NO indications of side effects, would you have passed that on, as well? For the good of the people, dontcha know.

September 19, 2011 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  15. Voice of Reason

Bachmann spouts about: HPV, Rick Perry, 'Crony Capitalism' (whatever that is), Obamas debt plan, Israel, the UN, and Iran. And yet hasnt got a single enlightening or intelligent thing to say.

Can we quit giving this diarrhea-mouthed fraud a forum? Maybe if we all ignore her loudmouthed ignorance she'll blame the global cabal of 'lamestream media' and go away. Seriously! Does ANYTHING this mouth-breather have to say make ANY sense outside the asylum of Tea-vangelical double-think?

September 19, 2011 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  16. laughnmatter

Michele Who?

Ron Paul ~ 2012 ~

September 19, 2011 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  17. Ben Dover

She is in her own little world....please stay there.

September 19, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  18. independent

She was just passing one what she had heard. That's all. Oh, did I tell you what I heard? I heard that Michelle and her husband are coke-sniffing, government subsidy dependent, gay-bashing Republicans. Really, I just had to tell someone.

September 19, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  19. anthony78

She just doesnt get it. The gig is up. We are on to you lady. Twist and distort the truth all you want... fool some of the dumber members of society... spew your hate and venom at OUR PResident... they dont call you Batsh!t Crazy Bachman for nothing.

September 19, 2011 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  20. MikeinMN

The difference would be if she was speaking as an Educated, Informed, Presidential Candidate!

September 19, 2011 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  21. Dalfrom CA

She reminds me of an another Repub, who is still out in the wilderness trying to court the idea of the run for presidency. I think Bachmann is the new Sara Palin.

September 19, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  22. JPNAmerican

She said she wasn't speaking as a doctor she wasn't speaking as a scientist. Soon she'll say "I wasn't speaking as an economist" and "I wasn't speaking as a diplomatic ambassador."

September 19, 2011 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  23. A vote for Bachmann is indeed historic, it will put the First gay male in the WH!

"I was merely passing on...what I had heard."

"This is something that someone had said to me, a mother that's very concerned," she said".

Well, that settles everything!

I have heard that Michelle is married to a gay man, so, gosh I guess that is true?

I also heard that the moon is made of cream cheese.

If we had only known to "repeat something we heard" and it would be true, we could have saved that whole NASA going to the moon thingy.

September 19, 2011 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  24. GOP = Greed Over People

No, we got the main point, and that is that once AGAIN you let your mouth overload your ass!

September 19, 2011 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  25. wes

Dear Mr. Bush,

i am so sorry, I thought you were the most idiotic man alive but at least you could admit your mistakes or at least make a funny face when you realized you made a mistake. The new honor for most idiotic person alive is now Bachmann, she even makes Palin look smart and thats saying something.

September 19, 2011 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |