Bachmann stands ground, bashes Obama debt plan
September 19th, 2011

Bachmann stands ground, bashes Obama debt plan

(CNN) – Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann didn't walk back on recent comments about the dangers of a vaccine Monday, but defended herself by staking her own unique position.

"I wasn't speaking as a doctor. I wasn't speaking as a scientist," she told CNN's "The Situation Room" anchor Wolf Blitzer during an interview. "I was merely passing on...what I had heard."

Bachmann was careful not to repeat previous comments about a woman who'd approached her "sobbing" following CNN's "Tea Party Republican Debate" and who, she says, confided that her daughter "suffered from mental retardation" after receiving the vaccine that protects against HPV–a sexually transmitted disease that can cause cervical cancer.

Those comments stirred up controversy-and questions about the GOP presidential candidate's discipline on the campaign trail-again.

But for the three-term congresswoman, the questions aren't about discipline. They're a distraction from "crony capitalism" exercised by Texas Gov. Rick Perry, the current GOP frontrunner.

"This is something that someone had said to me, a mother that's very concerned," she said.

"The point in the debate that I made is it's up to the parents to make that decision about the HPV vaccine and this was clearly an abuse of the governor."

"A lot of people are missing the main point…crony capitalism and abuse of executive power," Bachmann argued.

And she sounded off on President Obama's plan to reduce the deficit, calling him "the great divider" instead of the "great uniter."

Insisting that she wasn't just being "contrary" in opposing the plan, Bachmann said, "If this worked to create jobs I'd be completely on board with the president…what he's suggesting is the same old same old…there's nothing new here, why would anyone go with that?"

As the United Nations General Assembly begins to unfold, Bachmann also attacked the president's foreign policy.

"I don't believe Israel should have to give away any more of its land," she said. "The president hasn't done Israel any favors."

Instead, she advised the president to "disallow" Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad from stepping "one foot" in the U.S. for his persistent threats against Israel.

"He is a genocidal madman," Bachmann said.

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Israel • Michele Bachmann • TV-The Situation Room
  1. sara

There ought be a law that outlaws Ignorance......can you imagine that this woman is receiving our taxpayer's salary???

September 20, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  2. sugarmama

Oh how I wish we had a vaccine for Narcissistic Personality Disorder. And a cure. Would take care of Michele Bachmann like that....poof!

September 20, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  3. allens

she is a fool. why are her ignorant comments getting coverage? she says she is no doctor? why would she say the things she does?

September 20, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  4. DemFL

"I was merely passing on...what I had heard." which is all the spew. They can spin out lies on everything. I am so tired of this fearmongering rumor system we have. Well I heard Michelle was...... see I'm not going there because I heard this and I heard that are not FACTS!

September 20, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  5. len shapiro

Not a doctor, well she is not much of a congressperson either.

September 20, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  6. Rickster

"It’s not just millionaires who’d pay more under President Barack Obama’s latest plan to combat the deficit.
    Air travelers, federal workers, military retirees, wealthier Medicare beneficiaries and people taking out new mortgages are among those who would pay more than $130 billion in government revenues raised through new or increased fees."
    --------------------
    It never ends with democrats....they work 24/7 to figure out new ways to separate Americans from their money.....and then they lie about it saying that it is a tax "on millionaires".

September 20, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  7. what a nub

I can see it now....madam president, someone told me that there are missles in cuba...."bob, push the button, push the button!!!!" Later that day, "I was just doing it based on what someone told me..."
    Man I hope she wins the nomination....

September 20, 2011 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  8. effelbee

Let's be clear: this woman's stupid and ignorant comment will cause a three-year surge in cervical cancer deaths within the next 20 years. She is not simply "not a doctor," or "not a scientist," she is a clear and present danger to the truch and to people who take her seriously. They can and will die because of her comment.

September 20, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  9. Carrington1

Remember when Hillary got in trouble for repeating an anecdote someone told her on the campaign trail? Anybody can, do it, but Michele should have known better. Anecdotal evidence seldom holds up.

September 20, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  10. Dean H

Anyone running for President should fact check issues before they are said. Would she take this same approach as President, god forbid. Someone told me something, but I am no expert. This is an example of extremely poor judgement and hopefully, finally, puts a nail in her campaign. We have enough fools in Washington, we don't need yet another.

September 20, 2011 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  11. Bruce

She says Obama's jobs bill is same ol, ame ol. Really? The rich have had huge tax breaks since W's 2nd year in office and unemployment has risen ever since. When we had a higher tax rate under Reagan and Clinton, jobs were created. Go figure!

September 20, 2011 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  12. effelbee

More than 25% of all women in the US aged 14 to 49 are infected with HPV, a root cause of cervical cancer. This woman's stupid comment will cause women to avid the vaccine and thus to develop the cancer. Some will die. VBachmann is certainly not a doctor-she is the opposite of a healer and very dangerous. The truth matters.

September 20, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  13. GeorgeBos95

"I was merely passing on what I heard".

Hardly the kind of person I'd want making decisions in the White House.

September 20, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  14. Point

Bachman is also not an economist.

September 20, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  15. Bob F

On a similar note, Bachmann criticized the Administration's decision to terminate the space program, then later admitted "But I'm no rocket scientist."

September 20, 2011 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  16. Susan

I live in her district. Now you can all see what we've been dealing with for over a decade. She needs to go away or at least think before she opens her mouth.

September 20, 2011 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. Lynda/Minnesota

"The GOP job plan is to give the rich tax cuts and lose 8 million jobs."

Been there - done that, haven't we? It didn't work the past 10 years, probably isn't going to work any better for the next ten years either. Kudos to the GOPers for continuing their overreach in support of the millionaires and billionaires. Too bad for them the majority of Americans aren't buying the rhetoric anymore.

September 20, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  18. michael

she is literally a card board cutout from the GOPs far right. she says all the familiar lines, refuses to acknowledge her mis-speakings, and just generally spins contentious drivel. and she knows she cannot get elected. she is taking the sarah palin route; making a name for herself by being loud and divisive in hopes that she can make some bank later. on a personal note, i feel badly for her husband.

September 20, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  19. Sniffit

She did the same thing when she talked about the health care reform law. She desperately wanted to just come out and say "the ACA is going to result in people who express dissent and disagreement with Obama winding up on a list and not receiving health care services"...but clearly that's just too darn crazy. So instead, she invented a tale about a Japanese person coming to her and telling her that everyone in Japan is desperately afraid that if they express dissent about Japan's government heatlh care services "they'll wind up on a list and not receive medical care." See how that works? Simple...insinuations made, but with the added advantages of not having to take responsibility for having literally spewed batsh-t crazy nonsense yourself, claiming it was "not intended to be a factual statement," AND getting the MSM to uncritically repeat it fora few days until someone other than the "journalists" decides to point out that you're full of feces, leaving the "journalists" no other choice but to finally point it out as well. But hey, you still go the message out with your purposeful NITBAFS moment...and mostly for free because it was turned into a sensationalized controversy and put on every front page.

September 20, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  20. Pat

She wasn't speaking as a doctor or a scientist. But she was speaking as someone who, as she so often says, is running for the office of President of the United States. Where is her due diligence before passing on a rumor that could have such serious consequences?

September 20, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  21. Keith

Okay so Bachmann, the great divider, is still promoting fiscally irresponsible job destroying policies like the rest of the GOP candidates. Future generations are going to assume the "Republican" next to Reagan's name in history books was simply a typo.

September 20, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  22. GI Joe

Honest, someone called me at 3 am and said to push that button releasing nuclear weapons.

No, I didn't check it out, I didn't have my eyelashes on yet.

September 20, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  23. Anonymous

In case you haven't already noticed, Brachmann demonstrated just how unfit she is to be president. To say what she did about the HPV vaccine and how she said it, based on nothing more than something somebody told her was so unbelievabily irresponsibe that it defies imagination

September 20, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  24. GI Joe

I worked for the Tax system so I could destroy them. Give me control over this country so I can desttroy it too.

September 20, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  25. skarphace

Bachmann needs to wake up and realize that her best shot is to go for a VP slot. Huntsman is smart enough to realize this. She needs to do as he is doing and start kissing up to the front runners. Making stupid insinuations against Perry is the worst thing she can be doing right now. Unless she just wants the air time, like Palin and Trump. Then, she is right on track.

September 20, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |