Bachmann stands ground, bashes Obama debt plan
September 19th, 2011

Bachmann stands ground, bashes Obama debt plan

(CNN) – Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann didn't walk back on recent comments about the dangers of a vaccine Monday, but defended herself by staking her own unique position.

"I wasn't speaking as a doctor. I wasn't speaking as a scientist," she told CNN's "The Situation Room" anchor Wolf Blitzer during an interview. "I was merely passing on...what I had heard."

Bachmann was careful not to repeat previous comments about a woman who'd approached her "sobbing" following CNN's "Tea Party Republican Debate" and who, she says, confided that her daughter "suffered from mental retardation" after receiving the vaccine that protects against HPV–a sexually transmitted disease that can cause cervical cancer.

Those comments stirred up controversy-and questions about the GOP presidential candidate's discipline on the campaign trail-again.

But for the three-term congresswoman, the questions aren't about discipline. They're a distraction from "crony capitalism" exercised by Texas Gov. Rick Perry, the current GOP frontrunner.

"This is something that someone had said to me, a mother that's very concerned," she said.

"The point in the debate that I made is it's up to the parents to make that decision about the HPV vaccine and this was clearly an abuse of the governor."

"A lot of people are missing the main point…crony capitalism and abuse of executive power," Bachmann argued.

And she sounded off on President Obama's plan to reduce the deficit, calling him "the great divider" instead of the "great uniter."

Insisting that she wasn't just being "contrary" in opposing the plan, Bachmann said, "If this worked to create jobs I'd be completely on board with the president…what he's suggesting is the same old same old…there's nothing new here, why would anyone go with that?"

As the United Nations General Assembly begins to unfold, Bachmann also attacked the president's foreign policy.

"I don't believe Israel should have to give away any more of its land," she said. "The president hasn't done Israel any favors."

Instead, she advised the president to "disallow" Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad from stepping "one foot" in the U.S. for his persistent threats against Israel.

"He is a genocidal madman," Bachmann said.

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Israel • Michele Bachmann • TV-The Situation Room
  1. saganhill

She's not a LEADER either.

September 20, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  2. Julie53

And again, the Repubs continue to bad mouth Obama's plans . I don't see any of them stepping up to the plate to offer any better ideas! They never have. They are happiest when they criticize the plans that are out there. Anything is better than nothing in getting Americans back to work!

September 20, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  3. Ronald Hussein Reagan

She's no rocket scientist, either.

September 20, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  4. Alison

"Ticker: Bachmann says she's no doctor"

That headline made me LOL.

September 20, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  5. james - St. Paul, MN

Ms. Bachmann was not speaking as a thoughtful or intelligent being. She was simply repeating something ignorant and stupid that somebody (she cannot even remember who!!) told her. I guess this is what Bachmann calls "leadership."

The only person in the world who feels Michele Bachmann is qualified to become President is Michele Bachmann. Everybody else who has been watching her campaign has seen ample evidence that she is completely unqualified for her current role as Congresswoman--and certainly not qualified for a promotion to world leadership......

September 20, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  6. Tillie in Texas

Good Grief. Where I come from, "I was merely passing on...what I had heard." is called gossiping.

If I told Michele Bachhmann that my daughter was abducted by aliens after getting the HPV vaccine, would she go on tv and spread that around too?

What a putz.

September 20, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  7. don

I wasn't speaking as a Doctor. I was speaking as an idiot

September 20, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  8. Mike

Merely passin on what you heard? Did you check the facts? I heard you were an idiot.

September 20, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. KEYLARGO1

I'm shocked, Bachmann's "not a Dr"? what's this world coming too? Next thing you know we'll find out that she's not an economist, or an acrobat, or even a painter. She claims to be a lawyer.....if you were charged with a crime, would you ask her to represent you?

September 20, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  10. LoraB

And, in other news, the sun is bright.

September 20, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  11. Joe - Wilmington, DE

Not smart enough to be a doctor or a scientist...just a cruel, boneheaded fool.

September 20, 2011 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  12. bettyboop33

Bachman is not & will never be President of the United States either. lol!

September 20, 2011 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  13. skyjmpr

So if, and this is stictly hypothetical, I were to say that I heard that you (Michele Bachmann) were a lesbian beard for a gay man (and I am not actually saying that, just positing a hypothetical) with no objective basis in fact and I readily admit as much, then it is ok for me to spread those type of false statements because I am just 'repeating what I have heard'?

FAIL to the chief...

September 20, 2011 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  14. Tillie in Texas

Ya know, with Bachmann, Perry, Palin, Romney, Santorum and all these other clowns, I soooooo wish George Carlin was still with us. I'd love to hear his thoughts on these Teapeople and their twisted minds.

September 20, 2011 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  15. cf

"I'm not a doctor or a scientist, therefore facts and the truth don't matter."
    Please people, take off the blinders and stop voting for people like her.

September 20, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  16. bj

So what is Michele is not a doctor, Obama is not a president.

September 20, 2011 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  17. Johnson

Romney is being VERY VERY quite right now, I guess he thinks that he will lay low and then portray to the American people that he is the smart one.

Obama / Hillary 2012

September 20, 2011 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  18. LacrosseMom(real one)

Please Teapublicans do this woman a favor and tell her to bow out! She is an embarrassment to you all!

September 20, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  19. SD, Philadelphia

The CDC has gone on record about the vaccine's efficacy & yet it's not enough for Ms. Bachmann. Yet the more concerning aspect of this story is how easy it is to make an impression on her. If she's going to make statements based on 'what she heard' on the campaign trail without vetting out the details first, that to me points to someone who can't think for & arrive at judgements by herself. Not very Presidental Ms. Bachmann!

September 20, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  20. Jerry

She's no Dr Ron Paul that's for sure.
    And why do we even care what she has to say she's polling at like 5% whereas Dr. Paul is polling at 13%!!!

Go Ron Paul!!

September 20, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  21. Darth Fixxer

Psst Michele, I heard that Obama is a Muslim, a closet socilaist, and was not even born in the USA!! Pass it along!!!

September 20, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  22. JG

No, but apparently you stayed at a Holiday Inn and now play a Doctor on TV!

September 20, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  23. Al

Wow. I truly hope this vapid harpy gets the GOP nomination. It would mean a Democratic landslide.

September 20, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  24. AT

Michelle Bachmann is an idiot. (I'm just passing on what I heard as well).

September 20, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  25. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Crazy eyes has all but doomed her campaign.

September 20, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |