Tea Party group forms its own 'super committee'
September 21st, 2011

Tea Party group forms its own 'super committee'

Washington (CNN) - As the congressional "super committee" works in Washington to cut America's federal debt, a panel of tea party activists will meet at a Denny's restaurant in Orlando to propose their own debt solutions.

The gathering, convened by the large conservative political group FreedomWorks, will meet Sept. 23, coinciding with the Florida Conservative Political Action Conference, an annual meeting of right-leaning politicians.

"FreedomWorks believes that President Obama's 'super-committee' will inevitably fall prey to special interest groups, shutting American taxpayers out of the discussion on how to reduce spending and balance the budget," FreedomWorks said in a statement. "The Tea Party Debt Commission was created to give the American people a platform to be heard, and to propose specific cuts to the federal budget."

The congressional "super committee" – officially known as The Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction – is comprised of twelve senators and congressmen from both parties who are charged with cutting projected deficits by trillions of dollars.

The FreedomWorks group has laid out a specific set of goals for its own plan.

"The committee's goal is to create a budget plan that balances the federal budget within 10 years; reduces federal spending to 18 percent of GDP; reduces the national debt to no more than 66 percent of GDP; reduces federal spending by at least $9 trillion over 10 years (including $300 billion in the first year); and does not raise taxes," the group said in their statement.

FreedomWorks will also announce the formation of a SuperPAC in Orlando, timed to coincide with the Florida CPAC. The new group, called FreedomWorks for America, will donate money directly to candidates to support voter outreach efforts.

"FreedomWorks for America aims to empower the leaderless, decentralized community of the tea party movement as it continues its hostile takeover of the GOP establishment," the group said a statement announcing the new organization.

ALSO SEE:
Congress
Congressman aids in life-saving rescue

Obama jobs bill still waits for action in the Senate

Republican shake-ups in Senate leadership

Filed under: Florida • FreedomWorks • Tea Party
  1. rs

Hey Shepard- Didn't you get the memo? The Tea Party is the GOP. Run by Republican Dick Armey; paid for by the Koch Brothers, has Fox for its mouthpiece. Sounds Republican to me.

September 21, 2011 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  2. Four and The Door

Lynda/Minnesota
    "We need someone that represents the middle class taxpayer!"
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________
    There are 2 guys in Washington doing more for the middle class taxpayer than anyone has in the last 2 1/2 years. Speaker of The House John Boehner and Representative Paul Ryan. The middle class taxpayer would be on the hook for much more than they are right now if these guys did not do such excellent work in the interest of ALL American taxpayers...today and in the future.

September 21, 2011 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  3. Rose

The Tea Party is a FRAUD! They keep claiming they are grassroots and for the middle class, all while the billionaire Koch brothers and Dick Armey fund their rallies and send their own buses in to make for a larger crowd – can't they fund their own rallies and get enough of their own people without billionaire help? They claim to be fiscal conservatives, but will never admit that the Bush tax cuts have now added $5 TRILLION to the national debt over the past 10 years. Instead of letting those tax cuts expire, they want draconian spending cuts that would hurt the people they claim to be standing for – THEMSELVES!!! They have no credibility, and if they take over the government, I'll be glad to tell my policeman neighbor, who is complaining about his overtime being taken away and having to shell out more for his pension and benefits, that he got what he voted for.

September 21, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  4. Paqrat137

This is good news...no really it is! This Tea Party Committee will now have to show the country it's actual plans with facts and figures that can be scrutinized and analyzed. No more empty phrases, no more rhetoric, no more negative only campaigns. I say, let's see if these Denny's People can put together their proposal with specifics, and present it to us. Then the American people will see what they are supporting (or not.). Go for it, TPers – show us what you got!

September 21, 2011 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  5. Sandra

TEA PARTY – bought and paid for by the Koch Brothers...but hey, they don't have special interests. Sure they don't....
    If you believe that, I've got a great island in the middle of the Pacifica Ocean I can sell you at a real bargain.

September 21, 2011 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  6. once upon a horse

I would have taken the Tea Party more seriously had they started back when all the spending DID start...under President Bush. In fact I may have even joined the movement then. But it just seems strange that once we get a Democrat in office, and I won't even go to the "other part" that was different, now we get a Tea Party. Sorry I don't buy it. These people can be angry fo having the lowest tax rate we have had in years, but they talk junk and know nothing about how to govern. Yet as long as they have those big buck donors they'll be around. Grassroots my (bleep)

September 21, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  7. smith1

tea party "super committee" ??? if this a joke, it's a bad one !!! these people have no economic expertise of any sort and frankly no one gives a damn what they think !!!

September 21, 2011 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  8. Sniffit

"There are 2 guys in Washington doing more for the middle class taxpayer than anyone has in the last 2 1/2 years. Speaker of The House John Boehner and Representative Paul Ryan."

Really? LIST WHAT THEY HAVE ACTUALLY DONE....not proposals...not rhetoric...not silly plans in nice looking binders...not symbolic votes...but actual legislation they have enacted that "helps the middle class."

BTW, please start the list with their budget so I can bludgeon you with their "repeal and replace" of Medicare.

September 21, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  9. smith1

oops !!! if this is a joke !!!

September 21, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  10. Mike

The republicans form their own committee. The trash talkers Rush Limbaugh and Grover Norquist. They do not understand that Rome is starting too burn again.

September 21, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  11. Lynda/Minnesota

@Four and the Door:

Re-read my comment which was in reply to a comment from another post. It ought to clear up your confusion as to who I support.

September 21, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  12. Roger

Their next meeting will be held at a nearby Waffle House!
    Scary is not even the right word for these fanatics.

September 21, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  13. sortakinda

I drive a truck and I don't want Social Security or Health Insurance. I qualify for leadership on the Tea Party Super Committee. If I need money or health case when I reach retirement age, just back over me with my truck. I don't need n Death Panels. I'm a do it yourselfer.

September 21, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  14. SunnYD

Denny's huh? I mean the moons over my hammy are awesome once in awhile...but to schedule a meeting or gathering there...stereo types exist because theyre real. You decide what this says about the tea party (I know I am being shallow and mean but, you can put lipstick on a pig but...well you know)

I'm laughing still.....

September 21, 2011 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  15. sortakinda

Tea Party Super XCommittee recommendation: Require compulsory military service for all Americans 65 and up. Put them in the front lines of our many wars. Give them tap dance lessons on mine fields. Exempt the very wealthy of course.

September 21, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  16. easy4u

I have a solution for the Tepublicans and the Dems. Roll back the top tier taxes to the Clinton era rate and anybody that believes the top tier are paying too much can send them a check. All they have to do is sit down and pick one out.Example Exxon,GE,Rupert Murdoch etc. It doesn't matter which one they pick,just pick one and send them a nice check to help with that awful tax burden. Very simple and very easy!

September 21, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  17. Bill from GA

Hey, 4-door.. You got any figures (numbers) to go with your BS??

It is a fact that the tax rate on long-term capitol gains is 15%. And any yearly losses of the 2 previous years can be averaged in with current year gains.

For businesses, there are nearly limitless deductions available to reduce taxable income.

And the line "For Obama to base a country of 350 million people's tax code on the second wealthiest...", what is that supposed to mean? The 'Buffett tax' is for the top one or two percent. But then, you gotta throw a direct Obama slam to get the bonus dollars, right?

September 21, 2011 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  18. Voice of Reason

The Tea Party is clearly suffering from delusions of adequacy. My evidence: They're getting together at Dennys to save us from ourselves...

They DONT have access to everything they need there to work out the complexities of a multi-trillion-dollar economy in the middle of a recession... They WONT have any ideas that speak for the whole nation, They WILL protect the rich by putting the burden of their fanatical 'Cut-taxes-till-it-hurts-everyone philosphy on the backs of the middle class.

I wonder if our economy gets screwed if their 'Eggs over my Hammie' arrives late?

September 21, 2011 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  19. TomInRochNY

I see the Borg are starting to form their collective consciousness . . . at Denny's.

September 21, 2011 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  20. Rudy NYC

"The Tea Party is a FRAUD!"

Of course, they are. Why would "middle class" Americans endorse a group that wants to eliminate the payroll tax cut for the middle class? While at the same time the group not only wants to extend tax cuts for the wealthy, but to make them deeper and permanent?

September 21, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  21. Stop the Charade

And just which economic and financial geniuses will be at the Dennys summit to correct this country's fiscal woes? And more importantly, what puppeteers will be pulling the strings offstage because they do not have the courage to reveal themselves. How stupid do you think the American public is? Granted pretty stupid, but not that stupid.

September 21, 2011 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  22. Bill from GA

To S1N:
    'Surplus' and 'Deficit' are generally accepted to refer to the current (yearly) finances of the country; 'Debt' refers to the accumulated balance.

During the last years of the Clinton era, the debt was actually reduced, through a budget surplus. Conservatives claim: "It ain't so", but using the same standards for the last few decades, it happened.

There is a government website (I don't have the location handy) that shows the debt year to year, for the fiscal year ending in September, I believe. It is interesting; the largest increase was W's last year in office

September 21, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |