Perry tells social conservatives to pray for Obama
September 22nd, 2011

Perry tells social conservatives to pray for Obama

Orlando, Florida (CNN) - Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Thursday asked an audience of social conservatives in Florida to pray for President Barack Obama.

"As I campaign for president, I not only ask you for your vote and your support, I ask you for your prayers," Perry said. "I ask you to pray for our country. I ask you to pray for our president to give him wisdom, to open his eyes."

Perry was addressing a rally organized by the conservative Faith and Freedom Coalition ahead of Thursday night's GOP presidential debate in Orlando.

As he was deciding whether to run for president, Perry said prayer played a powerful role. The governor said he couldn't have entered the race "without being driven to my knees on many occasions."

Also see:

Issa endorses Romney

New ad targets GOP candidates over health care

Perry fights back on secession claim

Filed under: 2012 • Florida • President Obama • Rick Perry
  1. Michael

We will all need prayer if Rick Perry gets elected President!

September 23, 2011 03:43 am at 3:43 am |
  2. James Baker

If Perry believes so strongly in the power of prayer, then why does he need big corporate donors? Beware all those who claim God is on their side.

September 23, 2011 03:50 am at 3:50 am |
  3. Realitybites

Lets see, where have I seen this before.....oh, thats right – GW Bush. Perry I'm going to pray you go away.

September 23, 2011 03:54 am at 3:54 am |
  4. Joe

Obama may need prayer but Perry doesn't have a prayer. Romney in 12!

September 23, 2011 04:48 am at 4:48 am |
  5. GaryB

I just can't help but notice how well Perry's prayers for rain in Texas worked. I think they got 1/4" last month.

September 23, 2011 05:28 am at 5:28 am |
  6. ranger01

what happened to perrys prayer for rain and an end to the drought in texass? someone is not listening

September 23, 2011 05:33 am at 5:33 am |
  7. Jewels

Really? "Driven to my knees on many occasions"? And, "pray for the president" is such a condescending thing - exactly what type of personality I do not want to see in the house....

September 23, 2011 05:59 am at 5:59 am |
  8. Quirkydude

Perry jumped the shark early, I see.

September 23, 2011 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  9. Shannon

He should tell them to pray for themselves, this selfish, horrible, racist group of people, including Perry need all the help they can get.

September 23, 2011 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  10. Steve

It's unfortunate but unsurprising to see prayer politicized in this way. If Perry had simply said 'pray to give him wisdom' it could have shown his good will in hoping for the best for the country and praying for everyone – even his opponent. The 'open his eyes' remark makes the whole thing insincere. But I'd expect no less from Perry.

September 23, 2011 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  11. noteabags

Good plan. Let's just sit back and pray.

September 23, 2011 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  12. awasis

After last's night's performance it looks as if it is Perry that needs prayer.

September 23, 2011 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  13. Sean

This man loves to blur the lines between religion and government like no other. Quite a dangerous quality in a Presidential candidate. We are not a theocracy.

September 23, 2011 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  14. Maryellen

I pray he doesn't get elected!

September 23, 2011 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  15. Nota Christian

I find this scary.

September 23, 2011 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  16. Real Conservative

His state is experiencing a heat wave, drought and fire and all he can do is a Christian version of a rain dance. How has that worked out?

September 23, 2011 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  17. clarke

I just don't trust this man. Don't know why, it's just a feeling.

September 23, 2011 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  18. biggins08

If I were you and believed that prayer actually works I'd pray to win the lottery.....

September 23, 2011 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  19. pastmorm

What happened to separation of church and State? Come on people, leave prayer out of our politics and we can actually do something with this country.

September 23, 2011 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  20. Get a job Hippies

This is good to see out of Gov. Perry, standing up and being a nice guy. He gets my vote.

September 23, 2011 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  21. amlcpamaine

Perry doesn't need to pray for rain in TX – there's plenty of water in the aquifer but he's given it to the oil companies to use for fracking. He's praying for the media to keep it quiet so his water-starved farmers won't revolt and put him through the combine.

September 23, 2011 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  22. abby1

I love it when these conservative Republican politicians display their Christian superiority....

September 23, 2011 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  23. Thomas, Baton Rouge, LA

Actually, there's really not plenty of water in the aquifer either, but that's a different issue.

September 23, 2011 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  24. CJ

Great idea! Worked so well when he prayed for rain in Texas... I have a feeling god isn't listening to this guy.

September 23, 2011 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  25. an agnostic

Keep religion out of politics!

September 23, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |